Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

Comox , British Columbia
Front end repair....

I am a newbie so hello and your ongoing help will be much appreciated! I am the new owner of a 1982 31' Excella. It requires a full interior tear out, floor replacement and refit. Of more concern however is damage to the lower 3 front end panels which I suspect will need full replacement. This is most daunting but will need to be done to proceed. I have no $ to pay for labour but have and will attempt anything, typically with a successful outcome. Pics won't load but will try again shortly. What are my chances of pulling this off and where do I start? Before or after floor replacement etc.
Wowa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:24 PM   #2

Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowa75 View Post
I am a newbie so hello and your ongoing help will be much appreciated! I am the new owner of a 1982 31' Excella. It requires a full interior tear out, floor replacement and refit. Of more concern however is damage to the lower 3 front end panels which I suspect will need full replacement. This is most daunting but will need to be done to proceed. I have no $ to pay for labour but have and will attempt anything, typically with a successful outcome. Pics won't load but will try again shortly. What are my chances of pulling this off and where do I start? Before or after floor replacement etc.
Pics attached...Click image for larger version

Name:	20180418_092049.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	309083Click image for larger version

Name:	20180418_092105.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	309084
Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
It's very within your skills. If your ripping out the interior you've done half of the job already. Order some buck rivet tools, new sheet aluminum. People do it all the time. It's not as daunting as it seems. Buck riveting is fun too. Many threads on anything you need too repair or replace. You'll need more time and you'll spend more money than you think. To remodel a unit it costs $10k to $30k. I've done everything myself from the frame up, so I have real world figures.[emoji1]
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Start by tearing out your interior. Then replace your subfloor. Then do your sheet metal work, then put the interior back in place.

Replacing segments and panels in the exterior skin is not rocket science, anyone can learn to buck rivets.

One thing to be aware of is that those two "corner" segments are not just a flat sheet that is bent around the corner. It is actually a formed sheet that is stretched in 3 dimensions. You can order the parts from online parts suppliers like Inland RV or Out of Doors Mart. I replaced one of these segmetns a few years ago. At the time, the part ran close to $400, and shipping was crazy expensive (~$120) as the box it came in was the size of a mattress. The center section is just a flat sheet--you can buy what you need at a local sheet metal supplier or one of the online sources like Aircraft Spruce or Airparts Inc.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Comox , British Columbia
Good to hear guys! Waiting for a call back from Inland RV- shudder at the thought of shipping to Vancouver Island!
I will attempt to document the restoration which will be a custom layout. To keep costs down and to satisfy the difficult local byalws I will not be refitting bath/toilet or kitchen. The proposed site has a composting toilet and outdoor covered kitchen/bbq area. Eliminating tanks and plumbing will make the project so much easier also.
Sleeping for 6, diner in the front. Very excited to get underway.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowa75 View Post
Good to hear guys! Waiting for a call back from Inland RV- shudder at the thought of shipping to Vancouver Island!
I will attempt to document the restoration which will be a custom layout. To keep costs down and to satisfy the difficult local byalws I will not be refitting bath/toilet or kitchen. The proposed site has a composting toilet and outdoor covered kitchen/bbq area. Eliminating tanks and plumbing will make the project so much easier also.
Sleeping for 6, diner in the front. Very excited to get underway.
Save a lot of money and use a flat piece to replace the corners. I've done it and you can't hardly tell the difference.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #7

Comox , British Columbia
I'd worry about leaks at panel overlaps no? Several contours to be concerned with or does buck riveting the crap out of the seams take care of gaps? Even cutting sheet is a concern- I've never done it before other than tin snips which leaves that ripple in the edge.