Old 04-27-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
manhattan beach , California
Filiform, Exterior Electrolysis

We have an Eddie Bauer 2013...also owned a 27' 2003 and a 16' 2004. Never has any issues with "filiform" which is what I call electrolysis- corroding where the aluminum and other metals from things like lights are attached. We noticed some small areas and actually went to "mother ship" in Ohio a few summers ago- they told us at customer service we had to polish it etc- bought what they told us, and polish we have- but last summer the cancer started growing- handles, light, and mid-belly strip- so much that it really started worrying us. We happened upon 20 Airstreams at a rally and we mentioned how disappointed we were with the cancer that was growing on our newer Airstream- immediately 5 Airstreamers chimed in and said an inferior aluminum was used between 2012-2015 for a few years and it is a common complaint. We also noticed in newer models that a gasket is placed between any metal fixture and the aluminum- ie the lights- obviously Airstream has acknowledged there is an issue- and why would they not send out a fix regarding the gaskets. Realizing we have a real problem on our hands we called Mother Ship tech support... Tech support told us it was our fault- we were not polishing her the right way....absolutely 100% our fault....now, this ain't this cowboy's first rodeo....and to have such a rude conversation from Mother Ship was kind of disappointing. But we called back, got someone else and they said it was "filiform"...no blame placed just how to fix it...the fix-it is very extensive. Now it would seem to me there must be someone shouting louder than us who has the same problem- we bought a 2013 in good faith- thinking the 10 year upgrade would be a benefit- now we see we have a big expensive project on our hands that is caused by what is believed to be inferior aluminum....anybody else in the same "filiform" nightmare?

chacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Many people have filiform corrosion on their Airstreams. It has nothing to do with "poor quality aluminum," it's the result of normal corrosion at the cut edges of the aluminum sheets (where the protective clear coat is cut along with the aluminum), extending under the clear coat. My unit is a 2007 and it has a bad case of filiform. There are many, many threads here about the issue; use the blue search box at the top of the page to search for filiform.

Your profile indicates you may live near the ocean. Salt water and coastal salt air makes the problem orders of magnitude worse. I live right on the water and in the 2 years we've owned our Airstream the filiform has gotten very bad. We will be moving soon, then I'll go about fixing the problem. If moving away from the coast isn't an option, then you have a big job ahead of you to clean up the existing corrosion and then protect all exposed seams to prevent further corrosion, and you'll probably need to be obsessive about waxing it and keeping on top of further corrosion.

Good luck.

Jim

2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Many here wipe down the entire trailer with Corrosion-X. I do not. For the few areas of filiform I have...and when new ones crop up....I take a straight pin and poke several holes (number depends upon size of filiform affected area) and then dab on Corrosion-X. I let the sun work its thing until the liquid creeps under the lifted clear coat over all the area. You will know when it penetrates all the area when it turns from white to a dull gray. Stops the progression in its tracks for several years. When you see any sign of white reappearing, repeat.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Many here wipe down the entire trailer with Corrosion-X. I do not. For the few areas of filiform I have...and when new ones crop up....I take a straight pin and poke several holes (number depends upon size of filiform affected area) and then dab on Corrosion-X. I let the sun work its thing until the liquid creeps under the lifted clear coat over all the area. You will know when it penetrates all the area when it turns from white to a dull gray. Stops the progression in its tracks for several years. When you see any sign of white reappearing, repeat.
Hi Rich,
Do you know if T9 Boeshield would be similar to Corrosion X? After treating, do you leave the entire affected as is or do you sand it off and paint over a clear coat? I have treated similar areas with T9 Boeshield and they turn out as you describe, however, now the clear coat is flaking off some years later, and it seems like I could poke holes into the skin. I am worried water will seep into these cancerous areas. Thanks, Laurie
DoggerStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Electrolysis...is for batteries.😳

Corrosion is a PITA 👎

Bob
🇺🇸

"Just because you don't know how, doesn't mean you canít."
Amanamus

"Never tow faster than your Guardian Angel can Fly"

Sweet Streams....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Interior Filiform?

Click image for larger version

Name:	B6D32F41-7F5E-4780-B125-2EAA25AF5BF2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	359098

Iíve searched but canít find any references to filiform on the interior.....Iíve tried to attach photo, hope it works. This is growing quite ugly near the fantastic fan vent on inside, apparently caused by a dip on roof that allows water to stand and moisture to seep in causing the filiform. No evidence of actual water getting inside though.
Description in case photo doesnít show: looks like filiform except itís also bubbled up and rusty colored. Itís inside Airstream on ceiling at edge of a Fantastic Fan vent.
Iím afraid to scrape it and make worse, but know it needs to be stopped.
Any suggestions?
asv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
My guess is that is filiform with some rust and/or organic crud creeping into the filiform area. My suggestion is to scratch it off (a knife blade works well) and paint over the cleaned off area with automotive clear coat.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:19 AM   #8
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
T-9 & Corrosion X are two different formulas T-9 is great for the metal parts however I have switched exclusively to Corrosion X our unit is treated twice a year all rivets seams anywhere the exterior is comprised all metal is treated as well takes about 2 hrs for total piece of mind
Old 01-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
"filiform" which is what I call electrolysis"

Galvanic
Filiform is not electrolysis, think battery.🤓

Notice 'rust' is not listed as a form of corrosion.

Bob
🇺🇸

Amanamus

Sweet Streams....🌥
Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
Vantair

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Not giving up on Filiform but...

5yrs ago got our 2005 25ft CCD deal that lived near Calif coast. Being new second owners inherited a fair amount of beginning filiform in many areas. Very sad at the time imagining itís future skin condition.

In our case:
Adding belly wrap (none before) eliminated 80% of the visual yuck all along the rivet line. Done the Corrosion X in areas where not to make it worse in appearance. Using Walbernize 2x yr The remaining patch areas weíre getting creative with for now

Overall, working each area has greatly improved it where now far better than when purchased erasing the 90% negatives at least in our case. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40FAA047-EE3D-4DCB-8DF1-242675CB7B2B.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	359149   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6A946FB-8B05-4280-B364-9352CB027E21.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	359150  

Name:	9AC4E20A-6C9C-4216-8F21-4DBE509FC903.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	359151   Click image for larger version

Name:	1C99A99F-B12D-4FF8-9B73-D7E2838D5716.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	359157  

Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you

Thanks everyone for the input.
It sounds like Corrosion x is a great product but wouldnít be suitable to use inside, although I could try spraying the area on the roof where the water collects in the dip near the vent...... Itís scary to scrape it off but I know itíll only continue to grow. Iím hoping not to make a mess of this. Itís right when you walk inside. Iíll give the automotive clear coat a try.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:36 PM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Scraping the filiform is made easier/safer with one of these.. 👍
Seal with a quality clear coat.

Bob
🇺🇸👍

Amanamus

Sweet Streams....🌥
Old 01-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks, that looks like a great tool to use!