Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #1

1968 24' Tradewind
Waterford , Michigan
Exterior Mold Cleaner?

Hi,

We have an abundance of mold on the top of our Airstream. Currently using power washer but it's not coming off very well. Does anyone have suggestions for a mold remover cleaner?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
In our chunk of the world mould also seems to like to grow and parking the trailer year round under trees in our driveway doesn't help.

Every spring I clean the top (white panels only) with one of those padded teflon type pot scrubbers - works well - takes it off quite easily. Once off I then use one of the deep cleaning type polish cleaners and apply a hard carnuba car wax (again - white roof panel only). The deep cleaning polish takes out any staining of the white paint that comes from leaves - this kind of staining does not seem to be problem on the aluminum of the rest of the trailer.

Spring cleaning of the roof portion of the aluminium end caps is with a rough towel and typical car wash soap - comes off not quite so easily but not a lot of work either.

Rest of the trailer is cleaned with a soft car wash type mitt. Then all waxed - usually Rejex on front panels and Walbernize on the rest.

Should also point out that I use an old toothbrush to remove and keep mould down on the crevices of the trailer - i.e. belt line, window mouldings, around running lights etc.

Trailer is now close to 15 years old and for the most part still looks great - close to new (minor exceptions are a bit of road rash, filiform in a couple places, and some lifting of the clear coat in a couple places).

I would really caution against using the power washer - my gut reaction says that high pressure and rivets, caulked seams aren't going to go too well together.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

1968 24' Tradewind
Waterford , Michigan
Thank you for the reply - will have to pass on those words of advice regarding the power washer! Also, do you have any recommendations for parts of the trailer that have oxidized? Perhaps polish and wax?
Old 07-10-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Thank you for posting your cleaning tips. I also agree, I would be afraid of using a pressure washer.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I'm just seeing now that your trailer is a vintage 1968 unit.

The clear-coat application on the aluminum changed somewhere along the way - I believe in vintage units a clear-coat was sprayed on at the Airstream factory and in newer units currently being made it comes as part of a treated panel directly from Alcoa. I think the sprayed on white paint for the roof is also a more recent change.

My suggestion is to continue searching for advice - particularly from those who have vintage units. Some pictures of what you are dealing with might be really helpful.

Thanks - and good luck.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote