Old 12-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Franklin , Tennessee
Exterior dent removal

Is there a way to remove dents from the exterior? I may look at one that has a dent in it. Can they be easily repaired?

rtbwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Virtually no Airstream dents are easily repaired. And most are costly. So, if you are looking for a perfect AS, buy one that way to begin with, and live with the dents you put in it... LOL.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
If it doesn't leak and doesn't bother YOU to look at it. Who cares. Some make patches to cover small ones that look pretty interesting or even those that do leak. They all will get a ding or dent at some point.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have used a "Dent King" ($20) to pull some small ones out. Not perfect but better.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Some shallow dents may be popped/worked out from the outside using "paintless" autobody repair techniques such as the Dentmaster mentioned above. If the dent has creased or crumpled the metal, then there is no easy way to fix it. Repair techniques for these kinds of dents usually require at least removing the interior area of the trailer so that the back-side of the outer shell is accessible. The dent can then be worked from both sides. In worse cases the segment/panel will have to be removed to be worked, and worse still, the panel replaced. Needless to say, these kinds of repairs are labor intensive and expensive.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
1970 29' Ambassador
Evergreen , Colorado
Paintless Dent Removal - From Outside

After having several PDR shops turn down my repair and also getting a $2,800 quote from the Airstream dealer to replace a panel, I decided to figure dent removal out on my own.

I used a Super PDR kit from Amazon (slap hammer type) with aluminum hot glue pullers. I removed the clear coat from the area of the dent, then cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol. I next used a heat gun to heat up the area (I was working in 18F temperatures) hot to the touch to induce expansion. I next applied the aluminum glue puller tabs (use lots of glue) and let them set for 10 minutes. The final step was to use the puller (slap hammer feature) to pop the dents out. It worked so well, that I had to re-heat the glue tabs with the heat gun to get them off of the trailer. You can then use the heat gun to heat up residual glue and wipe off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	255864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	255865  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	255866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	255867  

CCKlein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Properly repairing a dent generally requires replacing a panel which includes accessing the area from the inside the trailer which can be very labor intensive. Most professionals who do this (correctly) will charge $3,000 to $5,000 per panel depending on how much effort is required to access the back. Some people report (?) success (?) using some automotive dent repairs which involves using suction to pull the dent. I've never seen the end result but based on conversations with people who know what they are doing, I am skeptical that this works all that often.

I would suggest that you consider any dents in a used Airstream you are thinking of buying to be part of the landscape and if you can't live with it, move on to another unit.

Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote