Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
"Dry Washing" and Airstream

Hi all, Our Airstream is in a park that does not allow hoses to be used for washing an RV, and the owner suggested I "dry wash" the Airstream. It has a layer of grime, not bad, but the worst is the bugs that are stuck to the front of the coach. They need to come off. Any suggestions on how a dry wash is accomplished and any products I should use? I already wash and wax the Airstream twice a year - using a hose and car wash and wax - but this looks like it needs immediate attention.

Thanks!
wendywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Smooched bugs have enzymes that eat away at anything they are on - there is your mission right there. A hand pumped spray bottle with plain water and let it soak a while then terry-towel it off & repeat is a good start....
Old 05-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Just use a bucket and wash a section at a time. There are lots of spray cleaners you can use as well. Jackson Center used and sold me "No- Wet Micro-Mist Waterless Car Wash, Wax Polish and sealant" It reads, "No Hose, Soap, Mess or Clean-up." It came in two parts; one a larger refillable bottle, the other a self pressurized applicator bottle. You aren't supposed to have to rinse first! I would rinse any grit off with a bucket of water or spray bottle just to be cautious. Feel the surface of the Airstream and make sure you are not going to rub and scratch the surface with any residual grime. I was told lots of fulltimers wash their RVs just that way of a small section a day.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Drive it out

Why don't you just hook it up drive into town to the car wash? Some have bays for trucks and large vehicles. Sounds much easier than paying someone to buff out all of the grit swirls you leave dry washing it. Or wait until you go camping and leave a little early and do it then.

Dan
Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
A bucket with very wet rag for your first go over works well. Just rinse the rag every few square feet. Then while still very wet, use a chamois to clean the rest of the water off. Doesn't scratch that way. Change water often in the buckets.

For bugs just lay a wet beach towel over the area for about 10 minutes, then repeat above method. A little scrubbing may be in order, depending how hot and how long the bugs have been on there.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
I use Griot's waterless wash and their green microfiber towels. I think it works great.

Complete Spray-On Car Wash Kit - Cleaners - Car Washing - Car Care - Griot's Garage
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
We haven't been too successful finding a place that will wash our Airstream. So we gave up. Plus we are retired with time on our hands. We are here for 2 months at this campsite.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is nice to have a clean trailer, but sometimes it cannot be if you can't find a truck/RV washer. My father use to live in a condo where they weren't allowed to wash their cars in the garage, so he'd clean a few square feet every few days.

You can use bug and tar remover (comes as a liquid or spray) on the front. Most of them come with a wax added, so it kind of protects it. I use Griots One Step Sealant when we wax the trailer and it lasts at least a year, so the bugs come off easier.

When the windows get really dirty, I just use use window cleaner. I find Sprayway works pretty well.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Do we read between the lines that it's stormed and rained for three days?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Camping last weekend, I was puzzled by a moho owner pumping a large canister garden sprayer. Sho' 'nuff, he then started cleaning off the front of his moho. I'd think about a backpack sprayer but a quick web search doesn't show many that are under 4 gallons -- on the order of 35-40 pounds on my back doesn't seem appealing. Here's a 5 liter "plant sprayer" that seems easier to haul around:
Click image for larger version

Name:	spray5l.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	158817

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
I second the use of No Wet. We use it regularly on all vehicles between waxes. Does a wonderful job with just two micro-fiber rags. Get some. You'll love it.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Envy waterless cleaner works well.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Avon's Skin So Soft is a great bug, tar and paint remover and very gentle to the hands and may keep the bugs away at the same time.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Microfiber towels make a huge difference. Used properly they pick up a lot of dirt without scratching. The waterless wash sprays are also a big help with the dried on bugs.

Buy at Sam's Club or Costco because you can get two dozen towels for the cost of 4 anywhere else.

If it's rained you can just damp wash - with a waterless cleaner if you like. If it's dusty/dirty get a bunch of towels soaking. On the front, or wherever there is sap/bird droppings, lay a wet towel on and ignore for 5 minutes. Start with a small area and slop/wipe an area of about 1 sq. yard. Turn the towel over if it turns black and stop if it's getting really dirty. Repeat if needed. Then take a clean towel, wring it until it's damp and wipe the section.

I generally take two or even three days to finish off the whole thing, but I can do it in a day. The really dirty microfiber towels I wring out, soak and rinse - then take to the laundromat. They actually get even softer once they've been through the washer/dryer. They also come a lot cleaner than terry towels though they really grungy ones benefit from the soak and rinse prewash.

Paula
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Ok, the single bucket car wash soapy water, applied with a long handled brush, got the bugs off beautifully, and a second bucket of clear water, applied with same brush, rinsed it off pretty well! A rain that evening finished the job. I just purchased the Griots Dry Wash by mail order, so will use that on the rest of the rig when it comes in. Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
On our first AS we used a brush and bucket. On the next RV, the 40 footer, we always used a bucket of clean water and microfiber cloths. David washes while I rinse the microfibers and dump the water (down the sewer dump). We had it down to a fine science and could get in done in a couple of hours. On the new AS, we do the same thing except that it takes a fraction of the time! On bugs, we have super-softened the water with Calgon and that seems to release the bugs and their juice well. Then we follow with a clear water wash. We have not had any scratches using this method, but I really think it is because we rinse the microfibers often.
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Griot's....

Another thumbs up for the Griot's waterless car wash, free sample came with an order awhile back, works really well.
The microfiber mitt on a pole comes in handy also....never been disappointed with any of there products.

Try WD40 on the segment protectors, nothing seems to stick.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08341.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	158897  
Old 05-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The mitt on the pole is a very nice tool to use when cleaning the stream & truck.
Never used the waterless wash, I'll have to try it now.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The Griot's "mitt on a pole" is great. I can wash most of the trailer fast with it. It also lets me clean the roof from a step ladder. The first one of the extension poles for RV's we got at Camping World started to fall apart right after we got it; the Griot's one is much better made.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Griot's Garage Products
Bob turned me on to the Griot's Garage line of products, and I couldn't be happier. Thanks again Bob. Buy the extendable pole with the micro fiber scrub pads, makes washing the AS very easy & fast.