Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #1

1976 29' Ambassador
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Damaged Rib and end cap on 76 Ambassador 29

Hi there, been lurking in the forum a bit and this is my first post.

I have my new to me 76 Ambassador 29' gutted and interior skins off. There was water getting in and needs have everything checked, will be removing the floor next.

I am looking for some advice on replacing damaged rib and panel. The rear most curb side rib is pretty messed up and the end cap is badly dimpled. There has been a previous repair made from the outside of the trailer.

Where might I look for a replacement rib and or end cap panel? what sort of cost am I looking at if I am doing the labour myself? Is taking the panel to an autobody shop to get the dents rolled out a practical option?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_175746.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	340624   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_173714.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	340625  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_173721.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	340626   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_152521.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	340627  

cat_sassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
The Rib-
See if you can straighten the rib out a little by working it with a 2.5lb hammer, a 1/2in punch, a large C-clamp, and some vice grips. If you are not happy with the result, remove the rivets attaching the the skin to the damaged part of the rib then cut out the damaged part of the rib and take that piece to a sheet metal shop. Take pictures with you, explain what you are trying to accomplish, and have them make a similar piece that is slightly larger or smaller in width and about 2 inches longer so you can sister it in to the original rib with rivets.

The Skins-
Not much you can do about the dimples. Replacement panels cost about 4-600 dollars each depending on panel size with ridiculous shipping charges. Out of Doors Mart probably has the panels you need.

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...ex&cPath=98_99
Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There is nothing high-tech about the rib. You can beat it back into shape with a hammer and anvil. No off-the-shelf replacements are available.

You can order a replacement segment as mentioned above. I ordred one a few years ago, and the shipping ended up being around $150. The thing showed up in a box big enough for a twin mattress. The issue with buying something new is that it is not made of the same allow as your 70's era segment was. So not only will it have a different patina, but the new alloy is softer than the original, and will not be as dent and ding resistant.

If you can find a shop with an English wheel, try removing the segment from your trailer and having them try to work the damage out. I wheeled out some monstrous dents in my banana wraps--made them look like new again, but got too aggressive with a segment I was trying to straighten and warped it out of shape.

What are those blobs of caulking on the inside? Do you have actual holes in your shell that are gooped with caulking? From the looks of things, I would assume that a previous owner removed that segment and tried to work the dents out of it, and then riveted it back in place using olympic rivets. This may complicate efforts to further repair it.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #4

1976 29' Ambassador
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Hmmm. Well the rib is pretty out of whack in many ways and also is cracked/torn in a spot. ill give it a shot but not sure how much ill be able to improve it. I suppose nobody will see it so as long as it is the right shape to attach the inner and outer skins to it should be fine?

Definately if i can get the panel fixed locally that is the way i will try and go. I imagine shipping something like that to Canada would be expensive.

Im not sure what the caulking spots are for. there are no rivets there. I probably will be taking out all the olympic rivets and replacing them with buck rivets.
cat_sassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
AirParts Inc. or Brunner Ent.

One of these guys may be able to help you.

Airparts inc

Brunner Enterprises