Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

1971 25' Tradewind
Saginaw , Michigan
Damaged Caravel-Your Advice Needed Please

Hello everyone out there. It has been quite some time since I have posted anything here but I am in need of some professional advice and/or referrals. I recently purchased this 1965 Caravel and it suffers from body damage caused by a large tree limb falling on it several years ago. I was apprehensive to purchase it but after looking it over I notice that neither end-cap was damaged or even touch by the falling tree limb. There are three panels affected on the street side which include the one under the window, the one surrounding the window, and the panel the rolls over the top in the center/middle section of the trailer.

I have recently moved and currently do not have a place to work on this other than my driveway (which has plenty of space), but I am smart enough to know that it isn't feasible. I am looking for someone in Michigan to carry out the panel replacement repairs to get this trailer water-tight so I can restore the interior at a later time. I understand that this is more than just an 8 hour project on a Saturday afternoon but I figured with the panels being flat it should be easier to achieve.

I look forward to hearing from anyone that has any referrals or might want to take on the job themselves. I am looking for someone with experience that can put the skin back to factory condition.

Attached are pictures of the damage.

Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image(38).jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	236833   Click image for larger version

Name:	image(39).jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	236834  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image(40).jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	236835  
FreshAir71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Take it to Jackson Center, OH, the mothership.

Pull the interior cabinets, etc. (assuming they are still there) ahead of time to make the work go faster - and keep your costs from going totally crazy. Also have them omit working on the interior skins wherever possible - again to contain costs.

These old trailers have solid ribs that make them a little more resistant to total crushing, but you've got one or perhaps even two that will have to be nudged back into shape. Send them many pictures to get an estimate before you arrive there.

If this were a newer trailer I'd say "play taps over it". What you have is a small vintage unit - rare and highly sought after so restore it correctly or sell it to someone who is stupid rich!

Good luck. Paula
Old 04-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I've heard good things about the Airstream dealer in Grand Rapids, MI

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
It actually looks harder than it is to repair! If you have a bucking buddy and a source for aluminum you could do it and if you have time on your side take it and have some fun with the repair.
Cliff
Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir71 View Post
Hello everyone out there. It has been quite some time since I have posted anything here but I am in need of some professional advice and/or referrals. I recently purchased this 1965 Caravel and it suffers from body damage caused by a large tree limb falling on it several years ago. I was apprehensive to purchase it but after looking it over I notice that neither end-cap was damaged or even touch by the falling tree limb. There are three panels affected on the street side which include the one under the window, the one surrounding the window, and the panel the rolls over the top in the center/middle section of the trailer.

I have recently moved and currently do not have a place to work on this other than my driveway (which has plenty of space), but I am smart enough to know that it isn't feasible. I am looking for someone in Michigan to carry out the panel replacement repairs to get this trailer water-tight so I can restore the interior at a later time. I understand that this is more than just an 8 hour project on a Saturday afternoon but I figured with the panels being flat it should be easier to achieve.

I look forward to hearing from anyone that has any referrals or might want to take on the job themselves. I am looking for someone with experience that can put the skin back to factory condition.

Attached are pictures of the damage.

Thanks for your help.
Don't take it to the Factory, or any Dealer as they will likely want to repair it with the current aluminum alloy (not as strong as what your trailer is made from) & Olympic rivets, which are also no where near as strong as the original buck rivets, plus they don't have the clamping strength of buck rivets. We have done repairs like this & you can save a bunch of $ if you remove the interior cabinetry & skin in this area first. It is not hard, but it is time consuming to do it right, & this is worth doing right on this trailer.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Don't take it to the Factory, or any Dealer as they will likely want to repair it with the current aluminum alloy (not as strong as what your trailer is made from) & Olympic rivets, which are also no where near as strong as the original buck rivets, plus they don't have the clamping strength of buck rivets. We have done repairs like this & you can save a bunch of $ if you remove the interior cabinetry & skin in this area first. It is not hard, but it is time consuming to do it right, & this is worth doing right on this trailer.
Colin
This sounds like very good advice... (No, I'm not related to anyone there.)

I sure hope you get this fixed. Easy for me to say since it's your money, but if I had that trailer, I'd do it. That's a neat old trailer!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Everyone we met at Urban Air last year in Mi spoke highly of Woodland Airstream in Grand Rapids. It can't hurt to get an estimate, and then work it down by doing more work yourself.
It looks like a nice trailer that would be worth the effort involved to repair it.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
P&S trailer service in Helena Ohio Just east of Bowling Green Ohio on S.R.6 has been doing this kind of work since the 1960's. They were one of the first to service Airstreams out side of the factory. There Phone number is 419-638-6261
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Damaged Caravel-Your Advice Needed Please

If you're going so far as to prep the work by removing interior panels, I'd also want to pull the window frame, vent scoops, awning rail and anything else that's in the way. They can go straight to panel removal, template, and install. Definitely a straight-forward and worthwhile repair.
54fuselage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel