Old 04-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
with much respect to the sailboat crowd, the answer is NO, not in your lifetime.
at the power company we deal with 3 types of metal for line hardware and conductors.
copper, aluminum and stainless.
i have removed stainless bolts that have been in direct contact with aluminum for over 50 years. no corrosion, no problems.
i think they will hold your door on for how ever long you want with no problems.
john

I'm with John on this. I have not experienced any problems in 25 years of work on power systems with aluminum and stainless connections. With current flowing at various rates galvanic erosion is a big problem if the connection is made with the wrong materials.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
for trailer use i have replaced all of the zinc plated screws on vents, clips and lights that were rusted with stainless. with no ill effect so far.
J, that's just what I've done. I just fail to understand why Aistream doesn't do this on assembly. The cost difference in bulk buying would be small, and it would be a marketing point to differentiate a "premium" product from SOBs. Some forum members report corrosion from zinc-plated steel screws on virtually new units. In my UK Screwfix catalogue, some sizes of stainless screws were cheaper than plated!
Nick.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:19 AM   #17
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
The process you are worried about is called "dissimilar metals corrosion"! The Military worries about this a great deal on aircraft and they handle it by coating between the metals with "zinc chromate". As used by the military it is a yellow color, but I think you can find it in other colors.

Yes, it can become an issue over very few years. It has nothing to do with the Galvanic Process. No current need be present to cause it.

We once rebuilt an aircraft and prior to painting it OD, we painted it with zinc chromate undercoat and flew it around a while. Looked wierd.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

[quote=cooperhawk]The process you are worried about is called "dissimilar metals corrosion"! The Military worries about this a great deal on aircraft.Yes, it can become an issue over very few years. It has nothing to do with the Galvanic Process.quote]

My humble understanding is that these are two names for the same phenomenon. With respect to airframe corrosion, this is described at http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/189857-1.html

"Another kind of airframe corrosion occurs where dissimilar metals come into contact -- for example, where steel screws are used to fasten aluminum parts, or where a stainless steel firewall is riveted to aluminum structural members. This is known as "galvanic corrosion" or "dissimilar-metals corrosion." "

Nick.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
nick

the stainless fasteners i buy from ace hardware are non magnetic as well. i know because my handy dandy pick up tool won't grab them when they roll under my workbench!

john
Sorry, but Stainless Steel is never magnetic - all types and grades. The magnetic properties of a metal have nothing to do with the di-electric corrosion between alumnium and stainless steel. It's the electric current produced between two different metals that are in direct contact with each other.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #20
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Sorry, but Stainless Steel is never magnetic - all types and grades.
The martensitic grades are magnetic.

The magnetic properties are a result of the amount of nickel in the alloy, and therefore are related to the corrsion properties.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:20 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Gosh my IQ has gone up.....

It's amazing what a simple (or what I thought was simple) question will bring out of the woodwork (or aluminum)?

Thanks for all the great responses to this inquiry. It just goes to show that we have a diversified group of people on this forum, from chemists to engineers, to old women who are trying to live with the husband fixing the AS.

Maybe Thor will read this and begin to consider using stainless in the various applications discussed..... like those little screws holding down the window crank mechanisms...

Thanks again for all your input.... when you see us on the road, we'll be the ones with the stainless steel bolts holding the door on...

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67
Maybe Thor will read this and begin to consider using stainless in the various applications discussed..... like those little screws holding down the window crank mechanisms...
If they haven't done it by now I doubt they ever will BTW all screw type fasteners I replace are replaced with stainless steel

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
zinc plated?

Zinc plated screws are bad with aluminum? I was under the impression that both stainless and zinc plated were OK.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:33 PM   #24
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ingrid

the problem with zinc is that it goes away after a few years and the underlying steel rusts.

stainless is better.

john
Old 05-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
CRAP-ola!!!!!

Thanks.

We are bolting the shell back down to the frame. Well, at least we have it open and only have to replace about ten bolts. That's what I get for going to Home Depot, they had no stainless left so we grabbed zinc plated.

I'd rather replace them and be able to relax about it.

Tell rickstream I said hello, if you see him!!
Old 05-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #26
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'll say hi to rick, he just finished recarpeting his 31.

john
Old 05-29-2006, 11:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Stainless steel hinge pins.

The 300 series sainless steel hinge pins will not rust or corrode. The aluminum hinges however could start to corrode on the inside if the eviroment is humid alot. The aluminum oxide that forms is less dense so the hinge may tighten up. I would recommend you coat the pins with a high viscosity non-conductive grease as you assemble them. (wheel bearing grease). The 400 series (magnetic) stainless steels should actually be called stain resistant since under some circumstances they can rust.