Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Car wash scratches

I tried searching. Figured this has been discussed before and I am not using the right search terms.

Picked up our new 2008 Safari Sport 22 this weekend. The dealer washed it before we picked it up. Just noticed all of these swirly scratches on the curb side. They weren't there before. He used one of those car wash foaming bristle brushes. Manual says go with the grain from one end to the other. Apparently he did circles.

I'm new to all of this. Do you think it's only in the clearcoat? Is there an easy fix?

thanks!
nesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Try going over it with Walbernize Super Seal, if they still show up hit them with a very light compound like Griot's Fine Hand Polish.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Ask the dealer how HE wants to handle it.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Griot's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesvt View Post
I tried searching. Figured this has been discussed before and I am not using the right search terms.

Picked up our new 2008 Safari Sport 22 this weekend. The dealer washed it before we picked it up. Just noticed all of these swirly scratches on the curb side. They weren't there before. He used one of those car wash foaming bristle brushes. Manual says go with the grain from one end to the other. Apparently he did circles.

I'm new to all of this. Do you think it's only in the clearcoat? Is there an easy fix?

thanks!
This the best gizmo for washing your Airstream, will not scratch. , all there products are first rate. Car wash and paint sealer especially good.

Bob
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
I agree with Not Done. I would be irate. It's up to them to fix it.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Pictures would be helpful - but - in their absence - we own a 2002 Bambi (since new) ..... the ONLY time it doesn't show some evidence of "swirls" is after I wax it myself .... with my own elbow grease .... a "wash" always shows swirls ..... whether I do it in the driveway or in the coin-operated wash bay .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
Many of the RV wash brushes I've seen are basically soft push brooms. They feel slightly scratchy to my hand. The one I use is soft and leaves no swirls. My AS is polished and very willing to show swirls.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Just be thankful he didn't pressure wash it - to open swaths of quadzillions of pores in the clear coat that age into graffiti in the outline of the spray pattern...
Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
I added a few pictures. It looks pretty much the same all around. Maybe I'm being more anal than usual, but it's supposed to be brand spanking new.
Ordered some Walbernize today. We'll see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRATCH01.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	141814   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCRATCH02.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	141815  

Name:	SCRATCH03.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	141816  
Old 10-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
From the looks of that....I would be parked directly on the dealers desk! No excuse here.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Johnson City , Texas
I had a few small "dealer" scratches also. I used that Walbernize and am very impressed with how great my Airstream looks now. Took me 8 hours to wax it, but I was not rushing it either. I don't think my scratch was as bad as your looks in photo tho. I was upset also! I didn't want them to touch my trailer anymore.
screamstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
I would be reluctant to take it back to a dealer that put scratches like that on my trailer in the first place, but after seeing the photo I think you need to get some sort of corrective action from the dealer. You are not being anal, those are really obvious and the result of careless and uninformed treatment. I had to rub out some minor scratches that my dealer "customized" my trailer with, but not anywhere near the surface area you are dealing with. I'd insist he job out the repairs to a local detailer who is capable of restoring clear coat, not the same lot person who washed your trailer with steel wool!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Use 3M Perfect-It 3000 Swirl Mark Remover it will require a hand held buffer on a lower speed so it keeps the heat down.I suggest contacting a automotive detail shop that does high end cars.You expect 3-4 hours labor ($150-$200)the swirls will be gone.Then apply a good grade of wax.
Everyone has their own opinion on brand and type.
I have been in the automobile business(Lamborghini and Ferrari) for 35 years.I use a high grade carnuba like Meguirs on my Airstream and had great results and I am picky.I buffed mine myself but I have experience and if you do not don't attempt it.

I definitely would not let the clowns at the dealership who did that try to fix it!!It looks to me that they had sand or dirt in the brush they used to wash it or they used a broom on it.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
They sure look like scratches, but without being there, I can't say. Swirls from waxing usually look different. A scratch will pierce the clear coat and will be trouble over time as well as looking bad now. A good wax will fill in light scratches for a while. But it shouldn't be scratched.

Ask the dealer what he will do, like replacing the trailer. If he did that, I wouldn't trust him to replace any panels or strip the clear coat and re-do it. You may have to take this up with Airstream and maybe they will support you.

The cleaning products Bob Cross recommended are very good and the wash mop works great. Just don't drop it on the ground and get dirt on it—that'll add more scratches.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The greatest danger to the appearance of your new trailer is the wash crew. A bunch of losers.

They scratched mine as well, where a hose came around the back end panel, just before I came to pick it up. I refused the trailer but the maintenance boss came out with a quart of "3M Finesse-it II Finishing Material", hand polished it up perfectly, and I was satisfied. If I waited for another one, it would need washing too. I was happy to get it out of there, but I will say everyone else there was first rate.

I think if I bought another I would demand it not be washed by these duds.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesvt View Post
I added a few pictures.
Ordered some Walbernize today. We'll see what happens.
I really don't think you will get very far using the Walber-stuff on those scratches.
You will need some fine polishing liquid. Possibly several grades.
3m makes a good product usually comes in three grades. I used it on a tree scratch, by hand, microfiber cloth,(one for each grade), starting with the course and working up to the fine, keeping the cloth damp. With the grain>>>>><<<<<, back and forth. Try it on a small area first. I wouldn't try an orbital polisher first unless you plan on doing the whole trailer, you want to retain the "grain", hence the back and forth.
Worked for Me.

Bob
Old 10-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, dio you know the name of that 3M product?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
I am very reluctant to have this dealer do ANY work on the trailer. Though they are willing and eager, I am not confident in what I have seen.

They have been selling out their inventory. As of yesterday, they have one Airstream trailer left on the lot. They're not "active" dealers any more. I don't know enough about the exterior finish and clearcoat. Scratches, damage, fixable, ... no idea. Don't want to have issues down the road.

I mentioned another problem in this thread. They had removed the black tank sensor before our purchase.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ase-83047.html

Was told they got the part in today. They wanted me to bring the trailer in so they could install it. Was too busy. Asked my wife to go get the "new" part. Looks like they already put some teflon tape on it for me and marked where I should put my pliers.

Can I bring this trailer to Jackson Center for an overall inspection? If it's new and came with a two year warranty, would any cost be covered.... or do I have to get the $2000 system check they advertise?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SENSOR01.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	141836  
Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Wow, I know its fixable but why anyone would use a brush stiff enough or dirty enough to do that is baffling at the least. I use a very soft brush and you must be certain the bucket you use for soapy water is clean. This is true for cars as well as airstreams. I agree with those who say the dealer must fix or refund you some money for your trouble.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote