Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
They sure look like scratches, but without being there, I can't say. Swirls from waxing usually look different. A scratch will pierce the clear coat and will be trouble over time as well as looking bad now. A good wax will fill in light scratches for a while. But it shouldn't be scratched.

Ask the dealer what he will do, like replacing the trailer. If he did that, I wouldn't trust him to replace any panels or strip the clear coat and re-do it. You may have to take this up with Airstream and maybe they will support you.

The cleaning products Bob Cross recommended are very good and the wash mop works great. Just don't drop it on the ground and get dirt on it—that'll add more scratches.

Gene

Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The greatest danger to the appearance of your new trailer is the wash crew. A bunch of losers.

They scratched mine as well, where a hose came around the back end panel, just before I came to pick it up. I refused the trailer but the maintenance boss came out with a quart of "3M Finesse-it II Finishing Material", hand polished it up perfectly, and I was satisfied. If I waited for another one, it would need washing too. I was happy to get it out of there, but I will say everyone else there was first rate.

I think if I bought another I would demand it not be washed by these duds.

doug k

Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesvt View Post
I added a few pictures.
Ordered some Walbernize today. We'll see what happens.
I really don't think you will get very far using the Walber-stuff on those scratches.
You will need some fine polishing liquid. Possibly several grades.
3m makes a good product usually comes in three grades. I used it on a tree scratch, by hand, microfiber cloth,(one for each grade), starting with the course and working up to the fine, keeping the cloth damp. With the grain>>>>><<<<<, back and forth. Try it on a small area first. I wouldn't try an orbital polisher first unless you plan on doing the whole trailer, you want to retain the "grain", hence the back and forth.
Worked for Me.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, dio you know the name of that 3M product?

Gene
Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
I am very reluctant to have this dealer do ANY work on the trailer. Though they are willing and eager, I am not confident in what I have seen.

They have been selling out their inventory. As of yesterday, they have one Airstream trailer left on the lot. They're not "active" dealers any more. I don't know enough about the exterior finish and clearcoat. Scratches, damage, fixable, ... no idea. Don't want to have issues down the road.

I mentioned another problem in this thread. They had removed the black tank sensor before our purchase.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ase-83047.html

Was told they got the part in today. They wanted me to bring the trailer in so they could install it. Was too busy. Asked my wife to go get the "new" part. Looks like they already put some teflon tape on it for me and marked where I should put my pliers.

Can I bring this trailer to Jackson Center for an overall inspection? If it's new and came with a two year warranty, would any cost be covered.... or do I have to get the $2000 system check they advertise?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SENSOR01.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	141836  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Wow, I know its fixable but why anyone would use a brush stiff enough or dirty enough to do that is baffling at the least. I use a very soft brush and you must be certain the bucket you use for soapy water is clean. This is true for cars as well as airstreams. I agree with those who say the dealer must fix or refund you some money for your trouble.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Ouch, that IS harsh. This is new to you, but second hand?

I bought a '89 Cavalier the 'Dealer' had washed while I was signing paperwork, five kids competing for lot-boy position or something... anyway it looked like that on a maroon metal flake.

My guess is in both cases someone dropped the towel-sponge and it picked up quartz sand to scratch the he-double-L out of it.

In my case the car never saw any dealers lot until 130,000 miles later when it got traded... but those scratches would have me seeking legal counsel on such a valuable trailer!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
It's a new 2008. We are the first owners. Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. This dealer has been selling their inventory and stopped getting new units several years ago. Price was reduced. I think we got a very good deal. Sold as new and included the two year warranty. Now I'm just replacing missing parts...apparently with used ones, and avoiding parking in the sun so I don't have to see the scratches.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Amazing restraint you are showing. Admirable.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up 3M stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Bob, dio you know the name of that 3M product?

Gene
Gene,

The three I used were..... 39002, 39007, 39009.
I might have tried their Scratch Removal System had it been available at the time.

POI...remember if you can feel it with your fingernail, be careful, you may go thru the clear. My scratch was borderline, it is now just barely visible, I got to that point and stopped.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Not sure what I will do at the moment. Would prefer someone else fixing it, but not the dealer. If Walbernize does not work and I have to try one of the other recommendations, won't that remove the clear coat? Seems like anything that is rubbed on to remove scratches, could remove the clear coat as well.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
nesvt,

You might try this first, available at most auto stores, very mild, a little at a time and you won't go thru the clear. My scratches were quite deep and are barely visible. Use a wet microfiber cloth and wipe clean frequently to check progress.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Have the dealer deal with fix it. It will come back to haunt you every time you look at it. That dealer should be ashamed of the condition it was delivered in. He should buff them out and give you something for your troubles and his mistake! Like a years free wash & wax.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I agree with Sphere Guy with one addendum.....a "competent dealer".

Sounds like nesvt has little confidence in the selling dealer.

I had a very similar experience in that our's went out of business 6mos after purchase. I'm now a semi-competent AS warrantee technician.

Bob

RLC

RLC