Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Aluminum vent stack caps for 1968 Sovereign

I need some advice on installing these vent stack caps on my "new" 1968 31" Sovereign. I understand that the old style vent caps are notorius for being the instigators of numerous leaks. I found these spun aluminum vent caps, and am going to replace the three original ( two in the back washroom and the one above the kitchen sink), probably leaking vent stack caps with these spun aluminum caps.

As I am new to this, I am asking for advice on how to install these caps. Do I bed them in some butyl putty up there? OR - Do I use TemPro 644 to adhere them to the roof and seal them? OR - do I bed them in the butyl putty and then seal the perimeter with the TemPro? Any advise given would be greatly appreciated.

I am hoping that replacing the current vent stack caps with these aluminum ones will go a long way in insuring additional leaks do not come from that source!

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9939.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	240474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9940.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	240475  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9941.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	240476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9942.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	240477  

cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Hey Great!

Where did you find these? I have been looking for something like these to replace mine with and these look like just the ticket. Please tell me where I can find/get them. Thanks, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Ed, I found these at a company called 'Mobile Home Depot' down in North Ft. Myers, Florida. The phone number there is 239-543-3300. They were $9.99 each plus shipping. The base is about 6.25" wide and the cap is about 3.75" tall. They are made from spun aluminum rather than the galvanized stuff I found every where else. Although I have not yet installed them (hence the original question) - I believe the base can be "curved" just a bit if needed - dependent on the shape of the roof where you are installing. The top cap is solidly attached and seems to be glued or welded in place. There are three oblong vent holes that you can see in the pictures. No screening - but screening would not be that hard to add and keep in place.

My original question is still out there! Do I put a rubber gasket under these - OR - use butyl putty tape - OR - do I just use and seal with Tempro?
Old 06-12-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I would say butyl tape and seal the edges and the heads of the mounting screws or rivets w. Sikaflex. Sika has a much better UV tolerance than Trempro Make sure you get the grey, tho. I used white on my new roof vent thinking no one would see it up there and it stuck out like a sore thumb.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:17 AM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The new cap will be just as likely to leak as the original replacement. The difference between the two will be that instead of a clean, low profile protrusion, you will have that big thing up there that looks like an attachment to a diving bell. The original leaked because it was made of injection molded plastic and the sun killed it. The new reproductions are made of ABS and will hold up longer than you will live. The only thing that new cap gains you is no rain can actually go down your vent stack.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:23 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
Sika has a much better UV tolerance than Trempro .
Is that a scientific opinion or a personal one? No one but a few of us professionals use the real stuff which is Trempro 626. That is the same formula as what Airstream used back in the day when the product was called Vulkem. Trempro bought Vulkem absorbing their product lines.. Sikaflex is a relative new comer on the scene. It is what Airstream uses today. I doubt is a performance choice (having used both) and more a supply chain choice. But back to my original question... how did you determine that Sika hold up better in UV situations?
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Thanks for all of the input. I have seen a few trailers with these on them and they really don't look bad. But, like everything else, I'm sure different people have different likes. I like the idea that rain is kept out altogether. Also - living in the midwest and having the trailer stored outside - I like the idea that when we do get those 6-10" snowstorms, I can keep the snow out of those stacks too.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
The new cap will be just as likely to leak as the original replacement. The difference between the two will be that instead of a clean, low profile protrusion, you will have that big thing up there that looks like an attachment to a diving bell. The original leaked because it was made of injection molded plastic and the sun killed it. The new reproductions are made of ABS and will hold up longer than you will live. The only thing that new cap gains you is no rain can actually go down your vent stack.
I installed the new Abs covers 2 years ago and they already are full of cracks. Not happy about it either.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
Is that a scientific opinion or a personal one? No one but a few of us professionals use the real stuff which is Trempro 626. That is the same formula as what Airstream used back in the day when the product was called Vulkem. Trempro bought Vulkem absorbing their product lines.. Sikaflex is a relative new comer on the scene. It is what Airstream uses today. I doubt is a performance choice (having used both) and more a supply chain choice. But back to my original question... how did you determine that Sika hold up better in UV situations?

Personal. I've been using Sika in marine applications for years (specifically to seal deck fittings) and based on that experience and how it's held up to UV and water over that time, I'd suggest using it every time on rooftop applications. Or don't, it's fine by me. Obviously, I don't have the professional relationship you do with Trempro, so I have no experience with 626. I have, however, used the 'over the counter' Trempro in the same manner Vulkem was originally used, to seal interior seams with limited light exposure, and I've been happy with it. But this is an economic choice rather than a philosophical one.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Hi Dingo Girl! Thanks for confirming that. Experience has taught me that sometimes an item that "should last me a lifetime" sadly does not come close to doing that. With the temperature extremes we sometimes have up here during winter months - I still think putting aluminum vent caps on instead of the ABS will put me ahead down the road as long as I manage to install and seal them properly!
Old 06-13-2015, 04:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I am going to order the spun aluminum caps from your supplier. The galvanized caps did not appeal to me either.
The ABS vent caps have to be replaced again any way.
Their size won't bother me as much as replacing the caps every couple of years would.
I am really hoping that my new ABS fridge vent cover does not follow the same path.
Thanks for letting us know where to get them.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #12
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
For the record, I just called these guys and, 'yes,' they still have the spun aluminum roof caps. But, they said that they don't ship anything. I explained the Forum postings, telling of this item being shipped, but it made no difference.

Bummer!

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
New Richmond , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
For the record, I just called these guys and, 'yes,' they still have the spun aluminum roof caps. But, they said that they don't ship anything. I explained the Forum postings, telling of this item being shipped, but it made no difference.

Bummer!

Rob
Hi Rob, that is a bummer! I don't know if my experience will help you or not - but when I placed that order last year, I actually had to ask to speak with the manager to get it placed. The reason was that the person I was dealing with over the phone tried to sell me an aluminum stack vent cover that he swore was the correct one for $4.99. Common sense was telling me these could not have dropped by half in price - so I asked to speak to the store manager before finalizing the order. The manager immediately knew what it was I wanted - and what the salesperson was trying to sell me wasn't it. The order gat corrected and all were happy.

What I'm trying to say is that unless you spoke with the store manager, there MAY be a chance that the sales person you spoke to repeated something they heard and may not have the whole story. You never know! Best of luck if you try again!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah1 View Post
Hi Rob, that is a bummer! I don't know if my experience will help you or not - but when I placed that order last year, I actually had to ask to speak with the manager to get it placed. The reason was that the person I was dealing with over the phone tried to sell me an aluminum stack vent cover that he swore was the correct one for $4.99. Common sense was telling me these could not have dropped by half in price - so I asked to speak to the store manager before finalizing the order. The manager immediately knew what it was I wanted - and what the salesperson was trying to sell me wasn't it. The order gat corrected and all were happy.

What I'm trying to say is that unless you spoke with the store manager, there MAY be a chance that the sales person you spoke to repeated something they heard and may not have the whole story. You never know! Best of luck if you try again!
Thanks a million for the encouragement. However, I'm not confident that another shot at it will be any better. The person with whom I spoke was obviously sitting in an office and asked others about shipping... I could hear the answer: "no."

Looks like there's "galvanized" in my future!

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, sovereign, vent caps, vent stack caps