Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Alcoa clear coat peeling

I have a 2016 International. While on the roof doing a solar install I noticed the Fantastic fan was no sealed at the factory. I also noticed a scratch I had seen before of the top front skin has started to peel. I think this is the Alcoa clear coat? Is there an easy way to repair this DYI? I assume I should do other scratches as well. I was going to take it into the dealer and have them do the Fan missed at the factory and look at this but I assume there will be some cost to it.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180307_112347.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	305919  
wponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Learn to do the caulking yourself.
At a certain point, it becomes an annual must do...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Following.

I have several places where it looks like something dropped on the trailer and ran down a couple of inches and the clear coat is missing. I was thinking of getting some automotive clear coat spray and trying to touch it up.

I think I would lightly wet sand with very fine grit (2000, maybe), spray, and then wet sand again and polish. I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has done that worked (or didn't, for that matter).

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
I can do the caulking no problem. I am taking it in for the principle of it.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Everything I have read so far about the Plasticoat and Alcoa ( In Airstream literature ) says not to sand, basically strip, clean, paint. It can't be that hard. I mean, Airstream fixes them all the time and automotive paint and dent guys do amazing stuff now.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Look up 'Nyalic'.
http://www.nyalic.com

keeping up with the loss due to environment and 'oops'.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
overspraying the clearcoat is not advised... it won't bond into the old coating... instead it will frost it and make it come off...

The only way to take care of it... is to strip, alumaprep, alodine, and then clearcoating... or painting... which then will last actually longer than the clearcoating so we have found...

One also can use the self etching brands of paint that is made for aircraft also... their is no clearcoat for aircraft alu... but, then again the color will cover up and seal a lot of blems...

Good luck if your in calif to get it strip'd... as the environmental nazi's don't like the chemicals used to strip, protect and coat alu...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking / wondering if simple automotive clear coat repair would work? I can really think why not? remove the flake skuf the area plus an area for feathering as Al suggest. mask of the area and then hit it with something like EM K2? Or Nyalic?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Not a lot of flex in automotive clear coat -- steel does not expand and contract with temperature like aluminum does. It might work fine, though, considering the size of the area in question.

All Airstreams eventually acquire "character" - a sure sign that a trailer is used as intended...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Airstream View Post
overspraying the clearcoat is not advised... it won't bond into the old coating... instead it will frost it and make it come off...

The only way to take care of it... is to strip, alumaprep, alodine, and then clearcoating... or painting... which then will last actually longer than the clearcoating so we have found...

One also can use the self etching brands of paint that is made for aircraft also... their is no clearcoat for aircraft alu... but, then again the color will cover up and seal a lot of blems...

Good luck if your in calif to get it strip'd... as the environmental nazi's don't like the chemicals used to strip, protect and coat alu...
As in strip the whole trailer to fix a couple of 6 sq. in. spots? I'm looking for a spot repair technique. Maybe there isn't one.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:58 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
Actually.... if you alodine the trailer hull... you don't need to really clearcoat or paint it... as the alodine will last up to 12 years out in the open.. and prevent any corrosion.... I have never understood why airstream didn't spec the treatment out... I know that avion and several of the other metal hull trailer makers anodized theirs.. and they never need/or do they have any problem with their skins .. even after 30 some years...

Alodine is a cheep and simple process to protect alum.... a gallon of it would do the whole trailer... but, the environmental nazi's have gone nuts over using it... as it does a chromate salt conversion... and yes you can make the trailer golden... but they also sell clear chromates so it stays alum looking... and in the end.. can be re-applied simply by re-cleaning and coating similar to washing with water... matter of fact its water soluable... when going on... but, once dry... gives the alu all the protection for years.. and can be clear coated or painted over also... if you want a belt with suspenders...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You can always buy a can or two of Plastikote from the Airstream Store. Won't be as glossy as the factory applied coating but it will protect the underlying metal.
Dismissive cat
Old 03-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
The current finish is not plastikote. Note sure why I would apply that on top o a peeling area.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Plastikote flexes. It may work, it may not.
Dismissive cat
Old 06-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #15
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Al,

Have you tried anything you would recommend?

I have a large spot that's growing larger where I think some bird eggs dropped on my trailer while it was in storage and the clear coat is coming off.

Thanks in advance!!!
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote