Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #21
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
What a coincidence !
Just on my way out to get some caulking to attach
a low profile Yakima storage "boot" to my roof.
This is the last item on my 2 year rebuild of a '65 Overlander.
I just couldent bear just having solar panels glued to the roof.
I also wanted to be able to angle the panels to better catch the light.
The Yakima unit can be opened either side with a really cool hinge assembly that provides a 30 degree angle.

My unit never had an Air Conditioner....nor did I want one.
The Yakima has about the same height as an old AC.
The A.C. units back in the day weighed 100lbs plus. and were
mounted between frames....that's a LOT of stress on the assembly.
I custom made UHMW "feet" that land directly on 2 ribs (a third set forward does not.)....the Yakima
nearly spans the entire space between two Fantastic fans so I plan to
make a forward brace afixed to the hatch combing to help stabilize the
whole thing at 70mph.

The Yakima is rated at 50lbs max and is made of carbon-fiber...very light
and durable. So fully loaded it weighs in at about 80lbs max. Long enough for snow skis!! (if you can get by with 160's)

Next I'm making an under carriage rack that a ladder slides into...won't hang down any more than one of those sewer tube holders.

I was also considering a roof rack but I had already bitten off more than I thought I could chew. Next time...maybe.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Lake Jackson , Texas
Slowmover, I thank you for your correspondence as well as your knowledge, I am, however, unconvinced by your comments. I think if you read through the thread, you would see that most of your concerns were discussed and for the most part, debunked. I understand the purist attitude and I sympathize with that line of thinking if for no other reason than the simplicity and beauty of the A/S product. That said, I believe you underestimate the engineering and structural integrity of the A/S while attributing far too much importance to the aerodynamic factory shape of the product.
After completely stripping my argosy to the bare frame and removing every single part or piece and either refurbishing, rebuilding or replacing and putting it back together like new, I have become intimate with the details and minutia of my particular trailer and I am confident that your concerns are not only unfounded but come from a position of misunderstanding. Perhaps if you read the entire thread you might gain some understanding at least with respect to what I was originally suggesting. I do appreciate your points but I assure you they were all considered duly and thoughtfully. Thanks again slowmover! Hope to see you on the road!
cutndried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What's the length of the lever from axle center to midpoint of load once on rack?

How is this being offset?

For an AC unit it tends to be subfloor water tank and major appliances.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Lake Jackson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
What's the length of the lever from axle center to midpoint of load once on rack?

How is this being offset?

For an AC unit it tends to be subfloor water tank and major appliances.

Slowmover, the plan was never to carry a load or any cargo. I was considering a lightweight aluminum frame that I could climb up onto with a chair and a beer and chill and watch a sunset or just get above ground, you would have to read the thread to know this,!
Again, thanks for your input, however, I don't think offsetting the load will be necessary because I don't plan on carrying a load!
Old 12-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutndried View Post
Slowmover, the plan was never to carry a load or any cargo. I was considering a lightweight aluminum frame that I could climb up onto with a chair and a beer and chill and watch a sunset or just get above ground, you would have to read the thread to know this,!

Again, thanks for your input, however, I don't think offsetting the load will be necessary because I don't plan on carrying a load!

Man, that cracks me up. Sorry!! I owe you a few.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #26
Lookin' to Boondock

1975 27' Overlander
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Send a message via MSN to 03enduro
I've been thinking...

... about doing something very similar to our '75 Overlander. I want to install three larger solar panels and be able to adjust their tilt, so I considered a setup with two longer bars running the length of the trailer, supported to the ribs, and connected by at least six cross bars.
The larger panels should provide some shade for the roof, and while tilted, still provide for opening the vents.

Here's the hiccup... I'm planning to haul it a VERY long distance with a 12' (170#) aluminum boat on the roof as well as two plastic kayaks. In all likely hood, the trailer will only see one more tow in her lifetime, and then sit on the beach to die a slow, painful death so the rack will need to be able to haul the load once, and then only support the panels.

The need for three large (720 w) of solar is that we'll be boon docking for at least two years.

The other notion I had was rainwater collection, and I contemplated a long angle to catch the water and guide it to my two freshwater tanks . I'm deleting my black tank in favor of a Separett toilet.

cutndried, did you build a rack, and would you share pics? (Yes, I know this thread is old...)
03enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Lake Jackson , Texas
Hey 03enduro,
This is an old post but still relevant. To answer your question, I have not built the rack. Yet.
My wife is a disabled vet and the last few years have been difficult at best with multiple surgeries, but in the last month I have started back in on the Argosy, so this is an appropriate time for an update.

We completed all frame repair and deck replacement. We I nsulated below the deck and installed the belly pan and all banana wrap. The shell has been reinstalled and a fresh coat of paint, she shines like a new penny, parked for two years in stasis, waiting for the appropriate time which turns out to be now. I’m in the middle of retrofitting all electrical. Just purchased a “mighty mini” by progressive dynamics and will complete the install this weekend. I obviously have a way to go but we plan on using it in just a couple of months. My work has been going crazy since Harvey but I have been making time and pushing ahead at a rapid pace. My house is filling up with trailer accessories and hardware. I do still intend to build the deck, if for no other reason than to be different, however I’m not sure if your plan is viable. Perhaps the load will be acceptable for your rig, I don’t know. I wish you luck with your plan though. If you are cautious in design, thoughtful in planning and discriminating in use, I’m sure a safari type rack is possible and could be a beautiful addition. I still intend to do it but it will probably be after summer.
Good luck.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:18 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Desert , California
I know this thread is quite old, but just in case somebody is still following it and for future people looking into it, I just build and installed a rack on the roof of my airstream, as well as cargo rails.
The rack/deck is not intended for storage but for walking and working on the roof, and stargazing additionally. The roof did not move when I was walking on the deck.

The cargo rails are intended to mount solar panels and antennas in the future without having to make new holes.

The rack is made of 1/2" EMT conduit, the total weight of the deck + racks is 74.5lb. The whole thing is barely visible from the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	433474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	433475  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg