Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

I need a fancy app to draw up my design. I pulled this 2D orthographic off the web and just use it to brainstorm but I'm hoping I can make something similar to this.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutndried View Post
I need a fancy app to draw up my design. I pulled this 2D orthographic off the web and just use it to brainstorm but I'm hoping I can make something similar to this.
Ah, that drawing looks far better than what I thought that you were proposing. I saw the pic of the Decoliner... I thought that it was huge sides, a balcony that you could Shakespeare from!

Down here in S. Florida, there is quite the thriving industry in building "tuna towers" for sport fishing boats out of stainless or aluminum tubing. Seeing as how it's an Argosy, if you didn't need shiny metal, you could go to a custom muffler shop to get your frame bent up and welded, then powder-coat it. I did a similar thing to get a big swim deck on a boat I had years ago, and it worked well. Your deck slats could be either teak or ipe- The result would be very shippy, would be nice!

Build that thing out of SS, and you definitely wouldn't have any rear-end sag! Though mounting the ladder on the back rather than the side would be less aerodynamically dirty, and give you a place to haul bicycles. If you're pulling the shell, is the interior skin off, as well? Would be easy to through-bolt the feet if so.

I'm a 3D artist, with access to the software that you desire. Let me know if you need a hand with doing some modeling.

You do well in a rough-and-tumble design session like this! Gotta admire that. Art is never pretty until the end!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hauula , Hawaii
Yeah cutndried, I worked the Google machine and Binged it around on the Inter-webs, but couldn't find your concept. I found an Argosy photo and used Illustrator to sketch the ladder.
Suzy, what software would you use for this? I'm mostly 2d, but love to use Sketchup. Free download and very easy to learn.
marc
Old 03-22-2015, 07:56 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboards View Post
Suzy, what software would you use for this? I'm mostly 2d, but love to use Sketchup. Free download and very easy to learn.
marc
I'm primarily an Autodesk 3dsmax guy, but I use Sketchup/Layout to turn the designs into actual plans and shop drawings. I've seen how people do antique chairs and such things in Sketchup, and it absolutely amazes me. Seems like such a blunt instrument compared to other, more full-featured programs.

You can see some of the 3D work I did for my Airstream here: '72 Ambassador makeover - Airstream Forums
Old 12-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Evanston , Illinois
I've been searching for the same answer or evidence of a roof rack for a little solar and a little storage up top. I can't find an image or an answer yet. It seems like THULE bolt on gutters and a rack or something custom aluminum would work.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Roof storage is a bad idea from several directions.

First, even a small amount of weight up top has a leverage effect on trailer stability. A bad one.

Second, it ruins the aero quality of the trailer. Greater resistance to crosswinds. Worse overhead clearance.

Third, as mentioned, it's difficult to access.

Travel trailers have limitations. Best to respect them. More gear does not equate to a better vacation.

If this idea is attractive then it's a better idea to re-consider trailer and tow vehicle specification.

(And, no, hitch mount platforms are an equally bad idea on either vehicle).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #21
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
What a coincidence !
Just on my way out to get some caulking to attach
a low profile Yakima storage "boot" to my roof.
This is the last item on my 2 year rebuild of a '65 Overlander.
I just couldent bear just having solar panels glued to the roof.
I also wanted to be able to angle the panels to better catch the light.
The Yakima unit can be opened either side with a really cool hinge assembly that provides a 30 degree angle.

My unit never had an Air Conditioner....nor did I want one.
The Yakima has about the same height as an old AC.
The A.C. units back in the day weighed 100lbs plus. and were
mounted between frames....that's a LOT of stress on the assembly.
I custom made UHMW "feet" that land directly on 2 ribs (a third set forward does not.)....the Yakima
nearly spans the entire space between two Fantastic fans so I plan to
make a forward brace afixed to the hatch combing to help stabilize the
whole thing at 70mph.

The Yakima is rated at 50lbs max and is made of carbon-fiber...very light
and durable. So fully loaded it weighs in at about 80lbs max. Long enough for snow skis!! (if you can get by with 160's)

Next I'm making an under carriage rack that a ladder slides into...won't hang down any more than one of those sewer tube holders.

I was also considering a roof rack but I had already bitten off more than I thought I could chew. Next time...maybe.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Slowmover, I thank you for your correspondence as well as your knowledge, I am, however, unconvinced by your comments. I think if you read through the thread, you would see that most of your concerns were discussed and for the most part, debunked. I understand the purist attitude and I sympathize with that line of thinking if for no other reason than the simplicity and beauty of the A/S product. That said, I believe you underestimate the engineering and structural integrity of the A/S while attributing far too much importance to the aerodynamic factory shape of the product.
After completely stripping my argosy to the bare frame and removing every single part or piece and either refurbishing, rebuilding or replacing and putting it back together like new, I have become intimate with the details and minutia of my particular trailer and I am confident that your concerns are not only unfounded but come from a position of misunderstanding. Perhaps if you read the entire thread you might gain some understanding at least with respect to what I was originally suggesting. I do appreciate your points but I assure you they were all considered duly and thoughtfully. Thanks again slowmover! Hope to see you on the road!
Old 12-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What's the length of the lever from axle center to midpoint of load once on rack?

How is this being offset?

For an AC unit it tends to be subfloor water tank and major appliances.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
What's the length of the lever from axle center to midpoint of load once on rack?

How is this being offset?

For an AC unit it tends to be subfloor water tank and major appliances.

Slowmover, the plan was never to carry a load or any cargo. I was considering a lightweight aluminum frame that I could climb up onto with a chair and a beer and chill and watch a sunset or just get above ground, you would have to read the thread to know this,!
Again, thanks for your input, however, I don't think offsetting the load will be necessary because I don't plan on carrying a load!
Old 12-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutndried View Post
Slowmover, the plan was never to carry a load or any cargo. I was considering a lightweight aluminum frame that I could climb up onto with a chair and a beer and chill and watch a sunset or just get above ground, you would have to read the thread to know this,!

Again, thanks for your input, however, I don't think offsetting the load will be necessary because I don't plan on carrying a load!

Man, that cracks me up. Sorry!! I owe you a few.