Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Advice needed-accident damage repair

Hi everyone,
I am sorry to be writing this post. We would like your advice on anything and everything we should do from here on.

We got a call from our storage facility today that there was an accident there overnight.

Long story short, there was a windy rainstorm, and another trailer stored at the facility slid down an incline into our Airstream. This broke the right front window, dented the right side panels, hit the tongue front, and all of this pushed our trailer (along the ground on the tongue extension) about 6 feet into the RV parked next to us.

Here are some pictures. Sorry I was not able to get them to be oriented the other direction.

We know the following:

Water got inside due to the storm and soaked part of the mattress, the bed platform, and some water was on the floor of the storage compartment under the bed.

The window is broken. Inside there is some damage to the curtain tracks, the walls, and beltline.

The tongue extension (that part that you raise up/down to raise and lower the tongue) was slid along the ground and is likely bent.

The owner of the trailer that caused this has an insurance adjuster that will be out to review in the next day or two. We want to know what questions to ask, what to do to make sure that we are treated fairly to be made whole again from this accident. We want to know how does one get an airstream damage and repair amount properly assessed? Then how and where would be best to get the work done?

For reasons I won't go into on a public forum, we feel that there may be some circumstances that will point to this other owner being considered at fault for this occurring. So we do expect that we will be dealing with his insurance for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3296-1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	285887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3275-1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	285888  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289-1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	285889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3307-1.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	285890  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
So sorry! Ugh.

Having just been through an auto accident and lots of insurance paperwork, my first recommendation is that you immediately establish email contact with everyone, and insist that all communication be done this way. This would include each estimate of damage [there may be layers as hidden damage is revealed].

Document . . . document . . . document each and every little detail.

Your own insurance company should be involved but YOU will be your best advocate IMO. Do not assume your insurance company will protect you well. Do you have a loan on the trailer?

Would also reach out to your dealer to find a body shop familiar with Airstreams, as standard body shops may not be able to do the estimate right IMO.

Once again, so sorry!

Peter

PS -- Our tow vehicle was rear ended and was "totaled" by the insurance company, even though it was drivable as-is, because the cost of repairs exceeded more than 50% of its market value. Given the high cost of body work on Airstreams you might want to prepare yourself for a similar outcome here, I am sorry to say. Bummer if so, but good to be prepared if things go in this direction IMO.

PS2 -- Also recommend making sure your computer system is up to snuff for backing up important documents and emails. Print out the major ones. We had a computer problem in the middle of negotiations and luckily avoided more serious consequences.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
We got a call from our storage facility today that there was an accident there overnight.

Long story short, there was a windy rainstorm, and another trailer stored at the facility slid down an incline into our Airstream. This broke the right front window, dented the right side panels, hit the tongue front, and all of this pushed our trailer (along the ground on the tongue extension) about 6 feet into the RV parked next to us.

For reasons I won't go into on a public forum, we feel that there may be some circumstances that will point to this other owner being considered at fault for this occurring. So we do expect that we will be dealing with his insurance for this.
If I were you I'd expect the unexpected.....Otra15 is right, you are your best advocate, even with your own insurance; don't assume anyone is going to do right by you (even if they say they are).

The storage facility will be covered up the wazoo against damages to customers property......I'd very much doubt that the other trailers owners insurance will cover damage done by his trailer in a wind storm as he was not in care or control of his trailer at the time; even if he parked it carelessly I'm sure his insurance will fight you tooth and nail and demand you prove negligence.

Sorry to say, but you will have to eventually have to go through your insurance and you could be in for a long ride through civil courts to even come close to compensation from the other owner.

They will all claim it was an act of God (wind storm).

Good luck (meant with sincerity, not malice or sarcasm)
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So sorry to hear of this, and hope you get it all resolved quickly.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Sorry to hear about this happening to you. If I found myself in this situation, my preference would be to get it fixed at Jackson Center if at all possible.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Just want to say I'm really sorry this happened and I hope it gets worked out in your favor.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
So sorry to hear, strange way things unfold sometime. We'll be in KC in early June, I'd buy you a drink if it'll help! Agreeing with others thoughts to document everything and trust that no one will look out for your interests better than you will. 2nd the Jackson Center estimate... why settle for less than wholly restored? Best of luck with the process, take it one step at a time.

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
Dutchman Ray

1977 Argosy 28
Lancaster , Pennsylvania
All I know is that Jackson Center, OH can fix anything and very well. But I guess all Airstream owners know that.
Dutchman Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #9
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
I'm thinking it is totaled. If so you need to get full replacement cost not blue book value.
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The only thing Ian say is to log everything as this develops - every phone call, conversation, photos, dates, emails, letters, estimates, etc.

It is something I have always done for every major life event or significant and costly experience, and I have always been glad that I did!

Hope all works out for you - no reason it should not!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
About a year ago I managed to scrape the drivers side of our 2005 CCD. Sadly the damage was mostly rubbing but it went from the front to the back. I sent photos to JC and they gave me a quote. My insurance company wanted to total it for around $13,000. JC's estimate was $12,000. They also assured me that one of their Florida dealers was trained and able to fix it. As it turned out the adjuster knew the dealer very well and trusted their estimate. I think they gave me a break by not totaling it. Now, I have a new driver's side skin with all the driver's side hook ups.

Even though I'm pleased, if I had it to do over again I would have taken the time to drive it to JC. I believe they could have completed the work faster and better. Thanks for listening. -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Go so far as you can with the good advice given above. Most insurance companies will not insure for the resale price of an Airstream. Therefore, watch appraisal numbers vs totaling. We have had no problem with repair to either Airstream we own or have owned, although our total coverage is not enough to total and purchase a like Airstream. Buy all means take the Airstream to JC or bring it to North Dallas RV in Carrollton, TX. Don't allow any other body shop touch it - whatever their references. These Airstreams require Airstream certified repair people.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Estimates and repair

We also sent photos to JC after our Airstream was sideswiped. They gave us an estimate that matched one from Timeless Travel Trailers ( which has three locations). TTT in Denver repaired ours in a reasonable amount of time and did an excellent job. If you aren't close to JC, but near a Timeless Travel Trailers, I'd go there for repairs.
Natomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I want to thank everyone for the comments.

We are still sorting out the details with insurance and hope to know more about our options in a few days.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Good luck with your unplanned project. Hope you get it all worked out to your satisfaction and that your baby is back on the road soon!
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote