Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2017, 03:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Luling , Louisiana
A few inches off the top, please.

My wife and I would like to purchase a new 25' International, with plans to keep it on our carport. The overhead clearance at entering our carport is 9'6" and the height w/AC of the AS is 9'9". The driveway before the entry is level. Is there a modification, perhaps a different model AC, that would clear the way for us? We are considering a 22' Sport which is 9'3", but we would like to stay with the 25'.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forum. The Penguin is pretty much the lowest-profile a/c unit available. The newer Coleman Mach series is a couple of inches shorter, barely, but would then require a lot of changes to make it work. It is also considerably louder, and still would leave you an inch or so too tall to use the carport. Maybe you could look carefully at the carport, and see if it would be feasible to raise the carport 6 inches or so. It might be cheaper than buying the different a/c unit, and paying someone to modify everything to play nice with it.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Terry's comment is just what I first thought when I read your post. I guess it depends on what is the limiting dimension on the carport. May not be practical if it is the main structure supporting the roof, but if you are lucky, might be easily done if just trim pieces.

I suppose even if it is the main structure, depending on how it is put together it might not be out of the question.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Get it close, then deflate the tires to get it inside. Reinflate once it's inside the carport.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Careful with the specs. I found they are not 100% correct. Reality is more accurate. Can you try it in there before you buy it? I have a Garage 9 foot 10 inches and still have lots of room. I have an Eddie Bauer 25 with 16 inch wheels and usually there is some load in it but this spec. is considered to be 9 foot 9 inches.

Lower the floor of the carport if it is gravel or interlocking pavers?
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:51 PM   #6
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
You could dig a trench for the wheels come to that...

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
A friend wanted a car lift in his garage, so he raised the whole thing about 4 ft. He can now fit two cars piggy-back style.

Raising a carport would be considerably easier. Most carports I've seen are just 4x4 posts. Adding 6-12" would be easy
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I had to raise a garage door two and a half feet to fit my former Hi-Lo.
Cost $950 about ten years ago.
Now, with the AS, it's in the open on a dedicated level concrete pad.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bganso View Post
Raising a carport would be considerably easier. Most carports I've seen are just 4x4 posts. Adding 6-12" would be easy
Agreed. Even if the carport is integral to the primary structure, raising the roof on the carport section is not that difficult. Get some recommendations on competent contractors, invite them to discuss how they'd do the work and what they'd charge. Get a firm written quote.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'd be hesitant to buy a smaller unit due to a carport not being tall enough to house a larger one.

We had to do a bit of work on some slider doors on a warehouse shed, raised them 3 inches, so as to get our airstream in there.

I say buy the unit you really like, deal with the storage challenges thereafter.

Here's some pics of my lovely wife watching the clearance as we back her in the first time......and an interior shot of how close things are to the bottom of the rafters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160520_181017_resized.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	278577

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160520_182126.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	278578
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree View Post
My wife and I would like to purchase a new 25' International, with plans to keep it on our carport. The overhead clearance at entering our carport is 9'6" and the height w/AC of the AS is 9'9". The driveway before the entry is level. Is there a modification, perhaps a different model AC, that would clear the way for us? We are considering a 22' Sport which is 9'3", but we would like to stay with the 25'.
I know it is obvious but sometimes it's worth saying… Perhaps purchase an air compressor. Lower the tire pressure enough to gain the 3 inches then pump the tires back up once in place. Just be sure to attach the tire pressure gauge to the Hitch coupler to remind you to reverse the process before you pull the trailer out.
RLWardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Options:

Roll it under the car port on steel wheels without tires. Verify the dump valve plumbing and other components under the coach will clear.

The air conditioner cover can be removed and that will reduce the coach height some, but not likely enough without additional action.

Raise the structure is best.

Lowering the floor and driveway is also possible. Trenches would be a trip hazard and might be a problem if the coach was not backed straight. If it rolled up on the original surface significant damage might be the result.

Then there is the big one. You might just be happier with a bigger coach, a new house, and an RV garage.

Just, do not get less coach than you need. It is true that less can be more - we actually think it is. However, if you are not happy with a smaller coach, your RV will never be satisfactory to you.

Good luck with your decision. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
One other thought to consider. Some people install hoods on their fans to protect the fans and allow them to run if it is raining. There are low profile and pop up hoods, but the Fantastic Fan hoods are almost the same height as the AC cover. It's not a requirement, but rather an option that is a nice to have. Just understand there are other considerations with respect to roof height. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote