Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #1
New Member
 
Everett , Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
$93k restoration?

I'm new to the forums and new to owning an airstream. I bought an older 60s model that is in need of some restoration work but I'm freaking out as I heard this weekend of a newly restored trailer that the owner paid $93K to have redone and customized. The funny part is that it was not completely finished and the company that did the work did only so-so work.

This seems a bit out of the ordinary in my opinion. What is the cost of a good restoration and customization???????


Here's a picture of my rig
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
March_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
jkcru's Avatar
 
2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 195
25,000 +/- 10,000 is'nt far out, depending on it's needs and the amount of out sourced labor.
__________________

__________________
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Ganglin's Avatar
 
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,365
Images: 13
Quote:
the owner paid $93K to have redone
Someone has more money than brains.....
__________________
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
muddy_hollow's Avatar
 
1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 468
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Interesting number

Quote:
Originally Posted by March_Hare
I'm new to the forums and new to owning an airstream. I bought an older 60s model that is in need of some restoration work but I'm freaking out as I heard this weekend of a newly restored trailer that the owner paid $93K to have redone and customized. The funny part is that it was not completely finished and the company that did the work did only so-so work.

This seems a bit out of the ordinary in my opinion. What is the cost of a good restoration and customization???????


Here's a picture of my rig
That's interesting........... Where was this?
__________________
56' Caravanner 'The Broomstick'

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #5
INSANITY CENTRAL
 
doorgunner's Avatar
 
1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,105
Images: 35
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin
Someone has more money than brains.....
Gary- Please do not let the cat out of the bag! There are those of us that love to tinker with airstreams! And what I wouldn't give to find a cash cow! I've not yet taken to restoring my 73 yet-don't scare off my buyers.
I did't vote in the poll- -depends what materials are used etc. DG
__________________


www.popasmoke.com




Proud Appellation American





Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
bobkelly's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 358
Welcome to the forums. Plenty of tech smarts and experience reside here.
Remodels on trailers, cars and homes have a lot in common. The cost is whatever you care to spend. It's only time and materials and the sky is the limit.
__________________
Bob

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
Hello March Hare -- Welcome to the Forums! Many on this site take some basic skills, ask questions, and manage to do a very nice job. Yes, that can take 2 or 3 years -- but the sweat equity is proudly shown off online and on the road. I have fun listening to The Vintage Airstream Podcast - Home. One of their regular contributors restores Airstreams as a business in northern New York and will do any level of restoration the customer wants; eg, bring up your tired queen and he'll just re-do the frame or go as far as you want. theVAP guys regularly mention that a top to bottom refurb done commercially can run three-fourths of what a similar Airstream would cost new. Prices may be higher in [fill in the blank]; for instance, I am not familiar with what the Iowa Boys in California would charge.

But 94K? Whew!
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,116
Images: 4
If you think that 93K is expensive

I saw a trailer being redone, and the estimated cost was going to be over 200K . ( a new custom chassis made by a Brittish race car manufacturer ,
a plastic wafer floor, a raised roof to accomodate tall people, a swivel hitch,
and on and on ) Basically it was a custom trailer that only the original exterior shell was utilized.
Oh, by the way, Pamela Anderson just had an illuminated stripper pole installed in what I call her " Partystream "
And if I won the lottery.......Marinestream tri hull house boat, Soundstream mobile recording studio, Airstream/Rolls Royce motorhome, 50 foot/ slide out park model, and of course the politically correct Greenstream trailer with biodiesel genny and furnace, with wind and solar charging systems, composting toilet AND air conditioners that worked off of a 15 amp service.
__________________
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
New Member
 
Everett , Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
Northern NY, huh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Hello March Hare -- Welcome to the Forums! Many on this site take some basic skills, ask questions, and manage to do a very nice job. Yes, that can take 2 or 3 years -- but the sweat equity is proudly shown off online and on the road. I have fun listening to The Vintage Airstream Podcast - Home. One of their regular contributors restores Airstreams as a business in northern New York and will do any level of restoration the customer wants; eg, bring up your tired queen and he'll just re-do the frame or go as far as you want. theVAP guys regularly mention that a top to bottom refurb done commercially can run three-fourths of what a similar Airstream would cost new. Prices may be higher in [fill in the blank]; for instance, I am not familiar with what the Iowa Boys in California would charge.

But 94K? Whew!

I heard he's very expensive. I don't have a movie star budget, so I'd be looking for a regular folks restoration company.

What about Trailerworks over in the Carolinas?
__________________
March_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
wkerfoot's Avatar
 
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by March_Hare
I heard he's very expensive. I don't have a movie star budget, so I'd be looking for a regular folks restoration company.

What about Trailerworks over in the Carolinas?
March_Hare,

The problem with using any company to perform most of the work is that you will be paying $50 to $100 per hour for the work, plus materials. The time involved is huge and therefore the cost is huge. Ask anyone here how many hours are involved.

Bill
__________________
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
You know, back in the '70's there was a car called the Studz Blackhawk. Instead of chrome trim it had 14 kt gold trim and it had mink or chinchilla carpet. Lots of celebrities had them then and lots do today. Personally, I didn't think they were very attractive, but I wasn't on the customer list either. I'm sure the price tag was way up there. If you put that level of luxury in your restoration, you can really spend the bucks. If you go regular restoration and do some or all of the work yourself, the cost will be more reasonable. Since I have two left hands and they are all thumbs, I figured I'd have the price of a new trailer by the time I finished paying someone else to do the work so I went ahead and bought new. It all depends on your budget. You can get a restoration to fit just about any reasonable budget...but do be prepared for sticker shock if you go with a restoration company.
__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Always Airstreaming!
 
rickandsandi's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,114
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by March_Hare
I heard he's very expensive. I don't have a movie star budget, so I'd be looking for a regular folks restoration company.

What about Trailerworks over in the Carolinas?
Well it all depends on what you think is expensive. Or what value you put on someones expertise and knowledge. Right now the individual you are refering to is the best of the best on the East coast. Yes, there is a very publicly known individual's Airstream being restored at this location, but this is a special project for a publication. Right now there are about 40+ AS trailers on the lot waiting their turn to be worked on. If you have a back log of this size you must be doing something right! In addition, these AS are in for a wide range of repairs and updates, not only restorations. The next time I start another restoration, you can be sure part of it will be done there before it hits my workshop and my pockets are very shallow!
__________________
J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
New Member
 
Everett , Tennessee
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3
workmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Well it all depends on what you think is expensive. Or what value you put on someones expertise and knowledge. Right now the individual you are refering to is the best of the best on the East coast. Yes, there is a very publicly known individual's Airstream being restored at this location, but this is a special project for a publication. Right now there are about 40+ AS trailers on the lot waiting their turn to be worked on. If you have a back log of this size you must be doing something right! In addition, these AS are in for a wide range of repairs and updates, not only restorations. The next time I start another restoration, you can be sure part of it will be done there before it hits my workshop and my pockets are very shallow!

I'm getting my information second hand from a distant relation of mine, but unless he's pulling my leg a $93k restoration should be the most pristine project around. At least put a roll of TP on the holder and maybe a free hat.

I'm sure if you have 40 rigs lined up for work, you can charge whatever you want wheather or not it's a fair price or not. It's all about demand.

It's funny since I started this thread, I've received more than one PM about this particular place.... none positive.

The question is who has had good experiences with restoration companies?

I really appreciate all the candid feedback that y'all are giving me. For my project, I plan on doing most of the work myself learning along the way. For the specialized work, I plan on looking much further south.


Gabe
__________________
March_Hare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus
 
Jaxon's Avatar
 
2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
And if I won the lottery.......Soundstream mobile recording studio, Airstream/Rolls Royce motorhome and of course the politically correct Greenstream trailer with biodiesel genny and furnace, with wind and solar charging systems, composting toilet AND air conditioners that worked off of a 15 amp service.
Oh, I can REALLY relate to the mobile recording studio... 34' decked... sweet.
__________________

__________________
Bill & Kim
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Restoration myfavrv74 1974 - 1979 Sovereign 10 12-09-2009 08:01 AM
Another Restoration... Pecos Pete Our Community 3 06-11-2007 09:27 AM
restoration help airmatt Member Introductions 3 02-16-2006 12:46 AM
considering a restoration tim oleary General Interior Topics 1 01-02-2006 12:27 AM
How much restoration do I do? juel All Argosy Trailers 7 03-07-2005 11:09 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.