Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2011, 07:51 AM   #1

1962 26' Overlander
Hampton , Georgia
'62 Overlander Lug Pattern

I am inheriting a 1962 26' Overlander and need to haul it home. The tires are rotted to the point of falling off the rims. I was hoping to see if I can locate a temporary setup to exchange them rather than having to jack the trailer, remove old, take to tire shop, hope they have the right size, hope the rims are still usable, and remount on the trailer.
If someone could enlighten me on the lug pattern for this trailer I would greatly appreciate it.
Also is there anything I need to inspect before I get it on the road? It's a 2 and 1/2+ hour drive on the interstate to get it home.

Complete restore to come once I get it home.

Thanks,
C.
CDA62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

6 lug trailer wheels 5 1/2" lug circle. not a bad idea to grease the bearings and make sure the coupler is good, maybe bring a chain in case the safety chain is missing or bad. A set of tow lights if the lights do not work and if any of the access doors are loose just put them inside till you get home so you do not loose them, check all windows to be locked and look for bricks on the roof on top of vents...
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #3

1962 26' Overlander
Hampton , Georgia
I already have the tow lights, safety chains, and plan on tightening down all the hatches before I go. Hoping there are no frame issues. The trailer has been "used hard and put up wet", and left sitting on the side of a hill for the last 10 years.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #4

1962 26' Overlander
Hampton , Georgia
Is there an AS friendly tape I can use, afraid duct tape may leave residue. All the windows have broken glass and latches. Need to secure them for the trip to prevent further damage. Also the banana wrap has a tear on the roadside rear, whats the best way to secure that piece??
Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Duct tape residue comes off on a rag wetted with gas or WD40
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote