Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
salt Lake City , Utah
52 Flying cloud restoration

Now that I have retired, I am spending time on the trailer. I wanted to add water tanks under the floor and strengthen the frame. The hitch was too close to the trailer causing dents to body when backing up. I cut out the frame even with the door and used 4 inch C channel and a new 50 degree hitch. Frame was extended 16 inches. I welded 3by 1.5 inch rectangular tubing to the middle of original frame and 2by 1.5 inch tubing to outer frame. Crossmembers where made wider or replaced if rusted. steel was painted with weld through primer where touching and entire frame painted with POR paint. I used 23/32 acx plywood, edges sealed with epoxy, bottom painted with urethane varnish, top has lite coat of sanding sealer. I glued seams with gorilla glue and used a lot of self drilling wafer head screws on crossmembers, and elevator bolts on outer edges. I have to make some vertical frame pieces by front window that were bent and rivet them in. I added new aluminum sheet below front window and also the steel sheet and angle iron was replaced. I was able to take out most of the dents in the front. I have an English wheel and I used the wheel with the most radius. Hold it in your palm and roll it on the dented area, start on the edges of the dent, work both sides and work into the center of the dent. I was able to pop out large dents then roll out low spots. I had two areas that were hit by bumper, these had deep stretched dents, 1/2 inch deep by 1 inch wide, could not roll out. Tried to anneal the dent with a torch and shrink with body tools, doesn't work with alclad aluminum. I cut out both 4 x 6 areas hit by bumper and will rivet in patches.
I need to get some info on what to do next. I need to replace window seals and am not sure of how to remove early hehr windows. I tried to find a utube video and have started searching the forums. I assume there are some good forum threads but have not found one yet. I have been looking at 65 cv thread on his 59 resto, so much info, I keep going off on tangents. If someone could recommend a thread with good directions and pics I would appreciate it.
I also assume I will need to remove end caps and upper interior to reseal and replace wiring. It is hard to know where to stop. I want to be using the trailer next year and am afraid I am backing this out to two years ( I have other projects that need completing). I will try to update this post as I make progress.
A local trailer restoration shop has a company that uses spray on urethane foam as insulation, seems like a good idea. Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	268472   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	268473  

Name:	frame 3.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	268474   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame 4.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	268475  

Name:	floor 1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	268476   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	268477  

WillJamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Wow, that's amazing! Keep us informed as you progress. This is outstanding!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Heber , Utah
great work. keep us posted of your restore
shinytincans is offline   Reply With Quote