Old 02-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #1
San Tan Valley , Arizona
3M Protective Film

Can't believe no one has installed this as a lower rock guard on an Airstream yet.
Did a search and found no links....
Had 2014FB and found I got nicks in the unprotected space between propane tank cover and Stainless Rock Guards
Though to myself, that is an area just made for 3M Protective Film
Figured someone has had to have tried it already...but I could find nothing using Search or Advanced Search

Anyone out there try it?

Dakota Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
I haven't tried it myself but I play with sticker material all day long and I would think it would work. It would be the same concept of the clear rock guard decals that are on the lower door areas of most vehicles these days....BUT...I would most definitely not use it on those years of trailers that are affected by filiform corrosion. Thinking of those people that had the clear Thor decals that buggered their finish. I only have older rigs so I am not sure what years filiform was a problem for, or if it is still a problem...

thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
here is a thread that covers filiform...
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Cupertino , California
Another source to consider is XPel. They are generally considered the go-to material on the CorvetteForum. I had the stuff put on the front of my Stingray after picking it up, and you can usually get a warranty on the install at certified installers. Big difference is that XPel is not supposed to fade, yellow, or crack for a much longer period than the 3M protective films are known to.

As it is, when my Ambassador's at the point where I'm ready to get the windows tinted, I'll be getting the forward glass protected by XPel at the same time.
MogRod: a '66 Morgan +4 resto-mod project
2014 Corvette Z51 Stingray: the daily driver
1972 Airstream Ambassador: the new toy / project!
flaagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
In the world of large motor homes, many many owners are having their 3M type diamond shield and other such products removed at an ever increasing pace. They have experienced a high failure rates with yellowing, cracking and peeling. There is even one company down here that specializes in removal. It's all they do and they are super busy!!!!

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
I had some 3M protective film left from doing our Corvette ... it didn't work well on the AS lower segment protectors. It is just as easy to "peen" out the dings from the backside of the guards as keep replacing the nicked and "bruised" film. The area between the rock guards and to the rear of the propane tanks seems unmolested by rocks... perhaps it is because we have large mud flaps (R-Tamers).

If the area between the guards and bottom of the AS gets badly dinged, I will paint the lower portion (6-10") with bedliner.

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote