Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
325 decal stripe removal

Hey,
I ve spent a bunch of time trying to figure out how to take off these stripes. The woodgrain was easy. That just pulled off. It s very thick it s the grey with the pi striping that I. Could not get any luck on. Here s what I did. Marine grade stripe rover the stripe. A couple of heavy coats. The grey vinyl comes right up, two more coats of stripes on the glue. Take a carpet cutting razor blade, hold it with the blade against the aluminum, and drag it all one the glue. The glue comes right up. I gave it a second application of stripes, and took some Brown scrubby pad don t use the green to harsh. Now, the brown will also leave a slight scratch too, but it is buff able out able. I m going to paint the stripe on again, so it didn t 'matter if I got a little rub marking. One could use 0000 steel wool to keep from scratching to aluminum surface. Also, use gloves and safety glasses. The marine grade striper is some pretty nasty stuff. I find it quite excellent for getting my hands TOTOLY clean, soft too. Takes off all dirt, callouses and fingerprints. Not a recommended use I m sure. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote