Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boulder , Colorado
2006 Airstream Safari Exterior Body Repairs

I'm a first time poster on the forum. I purchased a 2006 Safari Bambi earlier this year and I've already spent over 60 nights in it between the mountains of Colorado and one long road trip to Mexico. I'm absolutely loving being part of the community!

My Bambi was well used when I purchased it and has some signs of wear on the exterior (pictures below). The damage appears weather related rather caused by abrasion. I was hoping to repair this myself by I have no clue where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	251869

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	251870

Many thanks!
Alec
aleccamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
That is filiform corrosion. There are MANY threads on AF about that issue. You shouldn't have any problem finding out everything you want to know about it with some quick searches.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome to the Forums Alec! It's filiform corrosion. I have it on mine too. Reading this thread about it will keep you occupied for awhile. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html
Old 11-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
sigh. short version of a dozen or so very long threads....though they are interesting in various ways, it is a lot to sit through and digest.

get some corrosion x and do some spraying on a regular basis, that will stop the spread. You'll have to live with the corrosion, it's just an unfortunate fact of life. I was unable to get to a couple spots right away, they did spread further, but all the easily accessible spots have not spread further once I started spraying (once a month or so depending on weather).

some people then cover with clear finger nail polish or some kind of clear coat pen. some people first sand with very very high grain, not sure I'll bother with that route. I am considering the nail polish on a couple of the larger more progressive spots, but am basically just using the corrosion x for now.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
You may want to call Jackson Center and talk to one of the "advisers" there. I called once and was very impressed. They also have products they sell there that are tested.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks everyone. While not the news I was hoping to hear (i.e. major repair job!), I greatly appreciate the advice and resources.

- Alec
aleccamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccamp View Post
Thanks everyone. While not the news I was hoping to hear (i.e. major repair job!), I greatly appreciate the advice and resources.

- Alec
The good news it's only cosmetic and does not affect the integrity of the aluminium.