Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
1972 Argosy tail lights

I tried for several months to locate a replacement housing for my argosy trailer but had no luck.
I gave up and rermoved it exposing two large rectangular holes.
I found tail lights made by bargman model #3084509 from amazon for about 62.00 for the pair, which with a little enlargement of the holes, worked great.
I just wanted to share this and my photo for anyone else out there dealing with this same problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAIL LIGHTS.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	191076  
LOREN SILVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Loren,
Good detective work. The new taillight assemblies look great!

Thanks for sharing!

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1972 Argosy tail lights

Greetings Loren!

Those tail lights look great, and if you hadn't mentioned that they weren't factory I don't think that I would have caught the difference. Being Bargman is one of the "preferred" suppliers of components to Airstream and Argosy of this Vintage may explain why they look so at home on your Argosy!

Congratulations on the find!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOREN SILVA View Post
I tried for several months to locate a replacement housing for my argosy trailer but had no luck.
I gave up and rermoved it exposing two large rectangular holes.
I found tail lights made by bargman model #3084509 from amazon for about 62.00 for the pair, which with a little enlargement of the holes, worked great.
I just wanted to share this and my photo for anyone else out there dealing with this same problem.
Most Excellent! I've been needing to replace my taillight housing on my 72, and haven't found a good solution - it appears you did! Did you have to do much modification to either the trailer or tail lights?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
Thumbs up 72 argosy tail lights

I had to enlarge the openings on the trailer slightly and the lights fit with no modifications. Be sure to make your cuts for the width on the inside of the current openings so that you don't extend to far to the side curve of the body.
There was a very small opening on each side where the trailer body begins to curve so i sealed them with silicone.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
We have had to get over many hurdles during the remodel of our old girl and the good people of this forum helped greatly.
I don't know if you have roof air, but if not, boy, i have alot to share!
Also, i saved alot of money by searching ebay for my tail lights and will send you the info of my supplier if you decide to go that route.
Good luck,
loren
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I'm 90% done with the Silva mod to the back of my 72 Argosy. The insert in the belly band was some type of plastic overlaid on a mostly rotted wood piece. So when I pulled it off, the insert was so deteriorated that it pretty much fell apart. For now I think I'll paint the portion of the rail where the insert was.
I installed the new tail lights during an 80* day, and they actually did a pretty good job of conforming to the curvature of the trailer, although not quite. I filled the gap on the upper outside corner with polyurethane caulk. When it cures I'll finish painting the rear end.
In the process of removing the old tail light assembly I found a frayed light wire which had caused intermittent fuse issues - got that fixed.
I saved the old tail light lenses and will offer them to anyone who wants to pay shipping. The plastic housing is toast.
Thanks again Loren, we're really happy with how much cleaner this look is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Redone Back.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	213939  
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
Argosy tail lights

Wow!, you did a great job. I'm so glad my fix worked so well for you.
As for the wiring problem, I'm sure you would agree that you always find more to do when you open up anything on one of these Grand Old Girls.
Mine was a complete plumbing overhaul as well as partial floor replacement so you wouldn't believe some of my extra projects.
I have to admit I almost went for a FOR SALE sign more than once, but my wife Jen and I had owned a 77 28ft when were first married in 1980 and wanted, so badly, to relive our youth and anyway, at 60, our plumbing, wiring, and bodies are not all that good either!
Great talking to you and again, GREAT JOB!
Stay in touch and if you ever visit Arkansas, look us up.

Good luck,
Loren
Old 10-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
JUST LOOKIN

Currently Looking...
MALIBU , California
Smile Argosy tail lights

I HAVE RECENTLY BEEN IN TOUCH WITH DAN BROWN WHO HAS LED REAR TAIL LIGHTS THAT WORK GREAT FOR THE OLD ARGOSY TRAILERS WITH THE OLD CRACKED PLASTIC HOUSINGS LIKE MINE WAS.
I WOULD SURELY HAVE RATHER HAD THE LED'S FOR MY REMODEL IF I HAD KNOWN.
CHECK HIM OUT AT www.led4rv.net/FindPSST-ArgosyTwo.php

Thanks,
Loren
Old 10-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I used this from LED4RV. LED-kit8 Sealed LED light kit for old 4.25 Monarch Lens. This kit comes with 4 sealed LED lights, and they are 12 to 24 VDC. There are 2 Red LED pads (STT) with 1157 sockets and 2 Bright White (Back up) with 1156 sockets. They work great and retain the original lights and plastic light frame.