During the latest round of monsoonal rains in San Diego I went out to search for leaks in the 68 Tradewind. With the interior skins off it was a perfect opportunity to track down where some of the leaks were coming in from.
I suspected the standard leaks around windows etc... What I found was several (5) rivets that were holding the awning rail in place were not properly bucked in place.
I am assuming the rail was a factory install since the rivets were all bucked in. I was surprised to see several not even expanded enough to hold on. No need to drill them out, just pushed them out from the inside. I cleaned up the corrosion and replaced them and sealed with Trempro.
This is one example, I cleaned the corrosion up with some alumaprep and then sealed with trempro.
I also had two rivets that were drilled so close the the edge of the rail there was no way the rivet could have been properly seated. On those two, I opted to rivet from the inside and buck them on the outside. A little unconventional but they will never be seen on the roof line behind the awning rail.