Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Questions on Classic 30' / 31'

Presently, I am considering upgrading from our '05 Classic 25 to a 2007/08 Classic 30 or 31. Unfortunately, I have found no AS dealers with both a 30 & 31 in stock to look at. I have emailed AS (sales) for info but they seem to be quite slow to reply. Hence, I have several questions for this forum of vast knowledge. They are as follows; 1) What is the difference between the 30' & 31' pertaining to interior size as both are listed as 31' overall length? 2) I have viewed 2 floor plans w/dinette (30/31), one with a credenzq & TV above (on wall) & another w/o credenza but having a microwave with TV above. Which floor plan provides the most storage of the two? 3) For those who may have been down this road, are there any notable pros & cos between the 30/31? Based on info from this forum, I have ruled out the SO option on the 30'. Thannks for a great forum and all the good work performed by all,
Larry
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Here are a couple of differences: the 30' has a split bath, the 31 has the complete bath on the street side like your 25' which pushes the dinette close to the couch levaing no room for a credenza and a place to put your TV except against the wall behind the dinette, which in my opinion is to far away.If it were me,I'd go for the 30'. You can close off the door between the bath and kitchen area giving you a much larger bath area. I also don't like how the dinette is pushed up against the couch in the 31'.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We have experience with the "all in one bath" on one side (our former 31') and the split bath (on our 34').

We definitely prefer the split bath - you can close off the bath area from the living area, which gives you a large dressing area.
Also, it's nice to step out of the shower onto a nice bath mat, rather than land right in front of the toilet.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Thumbs up 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
We have experience with the "all in one bath" on one side (our former 31') and the split bath (on our 34').

We definitely prefer the split bath - you can close off the bath area from the living area, which gives you a large dressing area.
Also, it's nice to step out of the shower onto a nice bath mat, rather than land right in front of the toilet.
i too love the split bath. it's a big area to dress/shower with the doors closed. credenza is perfect for tv and it has a bar. haha. living room is very open and spacious unlike the 31'.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The 06 31 w/dinette has a full bath on one side and a large closet and clothes storage next to it. I went with the 31 for the Storage.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #6

2007 28' Safari SE
Medford , Oregon
Hi... we are in exactly the same situation you are except my current AS is a 28. I have been able to view both at George Sutton RV in Eugene Oregon. After researching, I am convinced the 30 dinette fits our needs much better for the same reasons mentioned in prior posts.

More Batroom area and a sky light in the bath area
Much more open feel in the living area
Better tv viewing
Just feels bigger over all

We have also looked at the twin beds as an option which actually make the bedroom more usable as well.

We are traveling to Eugene from Southern Oregon this Thursday to view again. I will let you know if anything changes.

Ed
streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Larry-we had 05 25' Classic and traded for a 30' Classic for the same reasons reasons "streamer' gives. While the 31 seems to have more closet space ,the 30 has more than enough for us and we "full time" in our 30. Our thoughts were we wanted more living space than the 31 provided. Another thing we prefered was the 30 has an extra window on the road side, 2 over the dinette and one over the writing table. Personally I think they are more attractive on the outside with this window arrangment. Having owned ours nearly 2 years now , we would make the same choice if we had it to do over again. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I appreciate your response ED. My preferences are for spaciousness and natural light (espically in the bath area). I have searched for the 30's & found none equipped to my specs. Solar is important as I enjoy boondocking. Our current 25' w/solar has proved invaluable (wouldn't be without it). Noticed your headed to GMS RV. I would offer my wife'sexperience on twin beds, " they're pure misery bending over to make them up porperly". I'd prefer to take her word for it rather than try it out. I'm sure it doesn't get any eaiser as the years go by. Anyway, just a thought to share. Thanks again for the info and let me know how things go in Eugene. Terry is the salesman there I had spoken to previously. Good luck, Larry
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #9

2007 28' Safari SE
Medford , Oregon
Thanks for the comment on the twin beds. We had to delay our trip untill next week so no more to report at this time. The unit we are looking at is equiped with solar and twin beds. Again I will report if additional info is available. Have fun.... Ed
streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Las Vegas , Nevada
My husband and I just purchased a 31' Classic w/dinette a few months ago. We love it. We love the huge wardrobe closet, which not only provides a lot of hanging space, it provides a great amount of ground storage. I might note that you can still create a large bathroom area with the 31' as there is a door that can close off the kitchen/living area along with the sliding door at the bedroom. I believe the shower itself is a little larger in this model also. The linen closet/drawer area provide even more storage. We have the 23' tv which provides more than adequate viewing from the couch. We spent a lot of time looking at both a 30' and 31'. We started airstreaming with a Bambi, and storage was an important issue and won out in the long run. Good luck!
LVD&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
31 08 Classic Limited

We are please with our layout. The large Sony is bracket mounted on the wall behind the dinette. We installed a 15" flat screen DVD Toshiba TV on bracket in the master. Sitting on the sofa the screen is plenty big. The leather salon sofa bed has a fold-up table used for laptop next to door has window and plenty of light through vista windows. Will look for ottoman w/storage to sit between sofa and dinette. Will allow stretching out and resting your legs N/S. I am a big guy and the shower has plenty of room. The mirror on the wardrobe gives the illusion of even more space. On our 7 week venture we did not need to use the storage under the floor of the wardrobe. I did not want to see the head walking back and forth from the master to the kitchen which is in the 30' model. Our unit has stove/oven/microwave perfect! Out first trip out it was standing rib roast and fresh yellowfin tuna!
chaimemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
31' Classic

I really appreciate this thread because my husband and I are in the process of choosing an AS. Our first choice is the 31' because of the larger shower. The floor plans indicate that you can get this model with a free-standing dining table and chairs instead of the dinette. We are not dinette people; we will never need more sleeping space than the two of us. The thought of having a table and chairs that we can move out of the way appeals to us. Has anyone ever seen one of these without the built in dinette?
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Floorplans

Here are the floorplans on the 30' and 31' Airstreams.

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30.gif
Views:	277
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	49668   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.gif
Views:	269
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	49669  

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #14
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We have the drop down table/chairs in our 34' front kitchen. After years of living with a built-in dinette in another AS, we really like the flexibility of the drop down table as it gives more floor space if you need it.

The drop down table also doesn't cut up the space as much as it seems to give a more open feeling.

As well, we don't have to slide our rears over the seats - i'm not much of a "schoocher" & would rather just pull up a chair to sit (& chairs are easier to reupholster than a dinette, if the mood arises)
Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
whitelight: thanks for the feedback! I cannot find a picture of the free-standing table and chairs anywhere. Dealers don't seem to order them; AS company has not responded to my request for a picture.
Can you describe the table/chairs to me? Are they wood? Two chairs or four? Is the table fastened to the floor or can you easily move it around?
Old 11-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #16
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
drop down dining table in 34' Front kitchen

Here's a picture of the fold down table when we first bought the trailer. The table is attached to the wall & can fold down.
There is also an extension for the table - (it's against the wall with the blue cloth over it in the picture.)

There are two wooden chairs that came with the trailer. We use the folding chairs in the compartment behind the stove for additional seating. When the extension is inserted, we can comfortably seat 5-6.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7713cb.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	49847  
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #17
_

. , .
good pic whitelight!

the table used in the newer units is a bit different.

the schematic is in the floorplans posted above.

SOMEONE here has posted pictures of this newer table version in the last 6 months.

it is on a sliding tract along the street side wall instead of in the boxed/fold down format like yours.

initially i didn't want the dinette either,

but have found the storage under the benches very useful and the seats more comfortable (classic version) than expected.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:21 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lenoir City , Tennessee
2air: Can you order the 31' without any table/dinette at all so that we can just do our own thing? The dealer we visited said that AS does not like modifications to their units. True? Or, just trying to sell what's on the lot?
Old 11-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere
Can you order the 31' without any table/dinette at all so that we can just do our own thing?
sure you can!

look at the 31 floor plan g posted.

that 'free standing' sliding table/chairs could be deleted OR removed.

a/s does have a 'mod charge' (500 or 750?) even to leave things out, but it can be done.

sure the dealers wanna sell the inventory they already own,

but you can order and have a unit in 8 weeks or so.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere
2air: Can you order the 31' without any table/dinette at all so that we can just do our own thing? The dealer we visited said that AS does not like modifications to their units. True? Or, just trying to sell what's on the lot?
2air' is right...you can delete some things on an order but they will definitely charge you a deviation fee...depending on what it is, it can be as much as $750...but they finish off the area very nicely...we have taken out beds and sofas for customers in the past without any problem but it is just alot easier to do it at the factory.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2007 classic