Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Still trying to decide...

We've been trying to decide which 25 Safari to order. We've ruled out the FB because we just aren't comfortable on the bench sofa. We went to the dealer and sat in one for a while. The SS is still on the list, but we don't like the corner bed and the 18 gal black tank. Now we're leaning toward the "plain" 25 with a bedroom and only a front sofa. I called the factory to find out why they didn't offer it in an SE and they said they only build about 2/month.

Are there happy owners of the 25 (not SS or FB)?
tport40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We went through the same dilema about six months ago. We finally decided on the FB because of the bed. The bed is REALLY important. We have solved the lounging problem in two differnt ways. One, we place a couple of pillows against the back wall and remove the backrest cushion. The result is better than any chair we have at home. Two, the alternate lounging method is to lower the dinette table and set up the bed. Throw in some pillows, and you have created a very opulent and cozy lounging area for two.

We have spent 67 nights in our FB since June, '06, and have found the set up to be very comfortable. We strongly suggest that you make the bed your prime consideration. If you can't be really comfortable in the bed, you will eventually find excuses not to take the Airstream out.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I agree with moosetags. We have a 25 FB and love it. Bought it specifically for the floor plan so we can enjoy the view we came to see from the dinette instead of looking at the back of the TV. As moosetags said, we too, move the rectangular back cushion, leave the contoured one in place and stack several throw pillows in the corners. Makes a really comfortable seat with two armrests...one padded and one the table for the cup of coffee or adult beverage. For what it is worth...the bed is very comfortable.
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We ordered the 25 SE FB with twins, because we prefer the more open look of the floor continuing into the bedroom, and the fact that the twins can be used as lounge areas. We also liked having the views from the pano in the living area.
The sofa did feel a little uncomfortable when we first tried it, but decided that it could be altered enough with some creative pillow placement--as Moosetags describes--to make it a good kick-back space. Since there will only be the two of us (and small dogs) in the A/S most of the time, lots of comfy indoor seating isn't a huge issue. Guests will just have to enjoy the great outdoors provided by our campsite.
Just be sure to take your time and visit as many configurations as possible, and look closely at the photos on the different dealer sites. You'll eventually find the one that suits your needs. Good luck and have fun!
Janetb
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
We're happy

We went with the plain ole 25' with twins after looking at the plain ole 25' with the queen. there were a variety of reasons we went with the twin but mostly it was related to perceived comfort and outside storage. we sleep in a king bed at home so we thought the twins would give us a little more room than sharing a queen (not near as much fun though). the outside storage access is a real plus. I have a lot of "stuff" in those bins that I'm real glad I don't have to lug through the AS. The front goucho is acceptably comfortable but its not like the recliner at home!

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
For what it's worth, I second the recommendation of the 25FB. Also, be sure you get the LS package for it's additional items. The question of SE or not is more complicated. We prefer the non-SE, which saves perhaps $5,000, but more importantly for us, the liner with it's additonal insulation and the somewhat warmer look and feel appealed to us.

In conversation with SE owners at a recent rally, we collectively decided that the non-SE version is cooler when it is warm and warmer when it is cold outside. The insulation and the windows, especially the lack of overhead view windows and panoramic windows, undoubtedly account for the difference. But, I sure wish we had the option of getting the pano for the rear. I wouldn't want it for the front bedroom, however.

If you decide on the non-SE, I think you might be limited to 2006 models, because all the inventory I've seen on the web suggests that Airstream isn't making it available for 2007. If their web site had updated info, we'd know more of course.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Another FB recommendation

I've done exactly what Moosetags did too. Just take off the back cushion, and get some pillows. In fact I find that the dinette itself is much better for TV watching when you flop the flat back cushion upright against the window, grab a pillow and lounge.... Turning it into a bed is supercool too.

I think the bench seat is about an inch or two too high from seat to floor, so I often put my little Rubbermaid stool down.... instant footstool.

Try it that way before you settle for the plain Safari.

Mine has the panoramic dinette window, but it came with the smaller window in the bedroom... Which I think is great. I do wish that mine didn't have the skylight. It's very bright even without it, but it's a heatsink in the summer and a cold spot in the winter. I also wish it had come with the two Fantastic fans instead of having a plain vent in the bedroom (mostly because it's too BRIGHT with that white vent cover. I'm gonna have to get one of those little vent covers so I can sleep later.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My Argosy always had the top hinged windows. I loved the instant air circulation when we set up camp. A standard Safari has Hehr windows in which only a small area at the bottom opens. The Classics and Special editions have the top opening windows. That was a big selling point for me. The second big selling point was backing the living-dining area into a campsite and the resultant privacy. Couch? I'm not a couch sitter for long and haven't yet found a need for television on the road but the couch is comfortable enough for me. We've supplemented the several small pillows that came with the trailer and can make ourselves very comfortable.

One minor but overlooked issue with the aluminum interior is that it picks up a film from cooking & plastic outgassing. It needs to be cleaned occasionally -- I'd say about twice a season. It probably needs to be Walbernized since it has clearcoat -- but I haven't gotten to that yet.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Consider the FB

I had an appointment at Safford RV today... LOUSY weather to hitch and tow in, but no hail (whew!).

At any rate just before the turnoff from I-64 to I-295 a state trooper pulled up next to me, very briefly flashed his blue lights, and over his loudspeaker said, sir please pull over at the weigh scales. Thinking... Huh? I complied.

He came up very respectfully and nicely... then apologized profusely when he realized I'm a "ma'am"... and simply said, "I couldn't resist. I've always wanted one of those beautiful old Airstreams and I just had to ask, where did you find one in such good shape?" A TROOPER with no idea that they still made them... I gave him a quick tour, showed him the registration to PROVE it was a 2006 Airstream, and very fortunately had a 75th year brochure to show and give him. He was thrilled to know he could see a whole line of them within 60 miles of where he stopped me. He left smiling and so did I.

I oughta get a commission from Safford RV.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We had a 25' Classic twin for a couple of years and the couch was very comfortable, poofier than the Safari ss couches and easily makes into a comfortable and large bed. There is a lot of walk around room in front of the couch, especially with the drop table down. I think most people add either a stool or a chair for the other side of the table. The large rear access door for storage is quite large with the twin configuration and it does elongate the center aisle. With hanging wardrobes and overhead cabinets over the side windows in the bedroom there is a huge amount of storage. The dealer said that model was called a caravanners special. It was very nice and super comfortable.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote