Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Door "Window" is an Opaque Panel

My 2007 20-foot Safari has a solid panel in the place for a door window. Is that standard? Why does this "window" space not come with a window, rather than a black, solid panel?

Have any of you had a fixed-glass window installed in the door? If so, how did you get that work done?
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have never seen an Airstream with a window blank. They either have a window or an all aluminum door. We blocked our window with chrome bubble insulation and so have many others done the same. People have been trying to make shades or curtains to also block the light. You might find that after you get a window, you also will try to find the best way to block it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Maybe my door's window is actually there but painted on both sides, rather than a solid metallic material, as it spears to me.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
My 2007 20-foot Safari has a solid panel in the place for a door window. Is that standard? Why does this "window" space not come with a window, rather than a black, solid panel?

Have any of you had a fixed-glass window installed in the door? If so, how did you get that work done?

How about something like this?

Window Kit | Ross RV Innovations

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I just picked up the top of a damaged door to add a window to my Argosy (just a case of cutting out the hole and drilling/riveting the window in), but the windows are still available from Airstream if you want to add a new one. Or a few of the parts sellers (like Airstream Supply) have them ready to be installed (for example Main Door Window, 1988-1989 Trailers).

However if you have something that looks like and window that is blacked out.....you probably already have a window that is just blacked out!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Richard

2006 30' Classic S/O
Merced , California
FYI I emailed that Ross RV window guy. His windows are flat only. No curved windows to fit Airstream.
kleimanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
It turns out that my opaque door window is an actual window. I can see lights through it, barely. The inside surface is shiny like it is regular glass, but the outside surface looks like an opaque, dark grey coating.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Those windows are so cool looking

But on the door is a privacy breach. ( a peep hole would be better) Blocking it is an option but if someone knocked on the door and you opened the shade, and found someone at the door that you didn't want to talk to…it would be awkward.

And for the life of me…I don't know why they put windows on bathroom doors. ( are they frosted glass ?)

As a heads up ( and I have no clue ) I would find out what the window material is before I attempted razor blading the paint or whatever off.

If it was me….and I wanted to block the window….I would insert a picture of a nice lady with a new mandolin, and a sandwich, knocking on my door. just saying'…..
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
The windows definitely came in different shades. For example here is a collection of MH doors and you can see the range of tints.

I bought the window from the door on the far left because it had the lightest tint - others my prefer the exact opposite though!

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Before we bought the 2014 FC, we made several visits to the dealership, read books, and asked as many questions as we could think of. It was only on our first trip that we discovered that we couldn't see out of the door "window." It is translucent, but opaque. We never noticed it during visits to the dealer because the door was always open. It is by no means a deal breaker, but it would be nice to be able to look out and see what the dog is up to, since that's where she usually hangs out. Just out of curiosity, I called the AS salesman we had been dealing with, and he had never noticed either. I think it might be possible to get it fixed, but the annoyance level is probably less than the cost, so I'll probably just live with it unless someone knows of an easy fix.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote