Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Dealer in London, Ont.

Has anyone dealt with this dealer: Can-Am, London, Ont.? It came up on the manufacturers web as a place for us to see Airstreams. They have some wild combination tow vehicles to try out. A Ford van pulling a Safari 25FB. There is also a "Greenhorn" story about a couple pulling a 31' with a Ford Windstar. We may not have always been on top of the weight/balance issue when we towed trailers in the past, but now there is enough info and help to avoid many safety problems. I'm not sure I would want to purchase from a dealer who makes those kind of recommends to customers. You can go to their web page and see the "test drive" combinations, current and past. Just curious about this place, MJ
MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can do a search on the forums for "Can Am", and read for hours here. I won't go into any of the discussions, as once you get there, all sides are pretty well represented.
BTW, they are for real, and their conversion is more than just sticking a WD hitch on the back of an Intrepid, and sending you on your way. Would I get onboard with their philosophy? No, but they do have many satisfied customers.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Sheenboro , Quebec
Can Am RV

I would say be a little wary. I bought a used trailer from them a few years ago, and virtually as soon as I got it off the lot it started falling apart. The fridge quit, the floor fell out, the ac quit blah blah it goes on. I am convinced now that they sold me a trailer put together from a few wrecked ones.... I know it's "buyer beware", but I was really surprised as they tout themselves as being customer oriented etc. I guess that is directed at the customers who spend the big bucks on new Airstreams, not the used and abused. Good luck.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Unhappy

I was hosting last month at the Top of Georgia Airstream Park near Helen, GA. This park is located in the mountains of north Georgia. A couple came in with an Airstream towed by a Ford Windstar van. They were from Canada. After they had registered and pulled away I noticed a pool of transmission fluid on the driveway. I notified the owner and he checked the fluid and it was down to the add mark. The transmission had overheated and the fluid had boiled out coming up the mountain. They said they were headed for the Great Smoky Mountains.
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
The only time I went to CAN AM I didn’t know any better.

Among the strange things they did were these: I ordered a new CERAMIC toilet. They re-installed my beat up old plastic one and charged $377.15 for parts!!!!.

I ordered a new electric ignition water heater. They installed a REGULAR one for $620.00.

The son of the founder, seemingly nice but surrounded by sycophants, has things so centrally controlled that I have waited 55 days to have an email answered.

Somehow he succeeds in spite of himself. But no longer partly on my account. I’ve spent $50,000.00 on my “contemporization” of a 1976 Argosy to date and Andy missed out on all of it, except for that first unrewarding but enlightening visit.

Several others have told me similar stories.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote