Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Bed Change

Has anyone tried or attempted to try and change from twin beds to a queen? Is it worth considering?

Thanks,

Ronman
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
It's well worth it. I changed to a queen sized bed in our 22' CCD and it made all the difference for us

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Chillicothe , Texas
Chris ( hubby) wants to try to make a pull out double in ours. How did you do it Brad? We have 2 twins and it would block the way to the bathroom.....
joni78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
What is the approximate cost for such an undertaking? What about the cabinetry add & removal?

Thanks!

New Guy
Old 10-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni78 View Post
Chris ( hubby) wants to try to make a pull out double in ours. How did you do it Brad? We have 2 twins and it would block the way to the bathroom.....
The newer Airstreams are wider than the '70s models. I'm not sure when the width was increased, but it would definitely make a queen bed easier to fit.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
It's an option for these units. It's an either / or. I am trying to get a grip on conversion cost.

Thanks for the input!

Ron
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I did it to our Excella 25. I removed the twins and their supports, took out the old floor covering, used the parts from the twins to make a pedistal and to cover the water heater and the driverside rear storage compartment. We used an RV Queen mattress (5" shorter than std queen), but you could also use a reg. queen. See pics here starting here: Member's Photos - Photo Gallery

We really like the change and the mattress is even more comfortable than our very good latex mattress at home. The cost was limited to new flooring, new wall carpet covering, new rear day/night shade, and mattress. Most of the other materials came from the old twin supports. I also removed the upper cabinets at the foot of the bed and shortened and raised the wall cabinets at the head of the bed area. No more sleeping against cold walls, and the bed is easy to make.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Magnificent job, Bob! I am considering a 2007 Safari. Not sure how to match the wood flooring. Do you know if this is something that can be ordered from Airstream?

Thanks for the post!

Ron
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Sorry, I just don't know if matching wood floor can be ordered from Airstream, although it seems like it should be possible.

We really like the pedestal queen bed, It has plenty of "toespace" around the edge so it is fairly easy to get around it. We don't miss the cabinets that were removed.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Yeah, you would think the flooring could be ordered. I am STILL trying to find my way around the Forum and Airstream in general!

Thanks again, Bob!!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Asked my local dealer about going from East West Queen to North South twin. The cost with materials and labor would be around $4500. Put that idea on the back burner.
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Twins to Queen

Ron,

Is the flooring actually wood or is it vinyl? If it the the parquet looking vinyl I know Airstream no longer has it in stock. When the floor of my 2008 Safari was changed out at the factory in February due to floor rot, they had to switch to a plank vinyl because they were out of the parquet. If the floor in the unit you are looking at is really wood, then the owner has installed it because Airstreams come standard will vinyl. You might consider switching to carpeting in the bedroom as it will be warmer on your feet. Use carpet tiles like those made by Flor.

In any event, call the techs at the Airstream factory service center in Jackson Center. They can tell you if they have parts and will discuss the project with you. They can also give you an estimate for doing the conversion. You can then use that estimate to give you an idea as to what it should cost in your area.

Consider strongly what this change will do to the storage compartments you access from the outside of the trailer. Will you loose your trunk space?

If I were located in southern California, I'd talk to Ewe Salwender at Area 63 Productions. 714-538-0485 salwender@sbcglobal.net The website is: Area 63 Productions His company does excellent restoration and conversion work.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Chuck,

You are an amazing source of information! I really appreciate it. I continue to learn from your experiences! VERY HELPFUL!!

Thanks again!

Ronman