Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Maybe they think their target market can't spell iPOD. Or maybe they just think they don't know what one is.
In the US alone, Apple has sold about 70 million iPods. My informal surveys of neighbors, friends, and Airstreamers at a recent rally indicate that older folk, not just kids, are tuned into the revolution. We have 3 and I expect that this holiday season will see 2 more cute, little, little Shuffles find their way into our stockings.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Our 2007 is IPod ready and has a 12 volt receptacle next to it (in cabinet) that will take a charging cord but that perhaps is part of the audio upgrade? I don't know what they have used for our water pump but even the dealer remarked how quiet it is. The one we used to have vibrated the entire Airstream with its pulsing.

I could not find the same spec twice in the differing info from pages to brochures to pdfs from Airstream. Even the owners manual has errors. Dealers did not know the answers. The website is aggravating it's so old and incomplete.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Our 2007 is IPod ready and has a 12 volt receptacle next to it (in cabinet) that will take a charging cord but that perhaps is part of the audio upgrade?
Yes, there are 12 volt receptacles, but there is no way to simply plug the iPod into the stereo receiver so that the sound can be distributed thru the speakers. The Sony model in the Safari requires another control box that costs over $100 and even if you do that, the control of the iPod must be handled thru the truly awful interface of the Sony rather than the iPod itself.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
In the US alone, Apple has sold about 70 million iPods. My informal surveys of neighbors, friends, and Airstreamers at a recent rally indicate that older folk, not just kids, are tuned into the revolution. We have 3 and I expect that this holiday season will see 2 more cute, little, little Shuffles find their way into our stockings.
My wife taught third grade until the middle of the first month of school this year...now she teaches first grade and is only 42 years old. The other day she asked me what exactly an Ipod is. She knew it was a music storage device, but didn't know how it worked or what you did to get music in it. Maybe it's just "tweeners" that don't know!

Don't have one...don't know when I'll get one. Maybe next Christmas or the next. I don't listen to music enough to justify having one.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
My informal surveys of neighbors, friends, and Airstreamers at a recent rally indicate that older folk, not just kids, are tuned into the revolution.
Some of those folks may know because they have bought them for their grand-kids or because they have seen their younger co-workers use them. I know because I like techie things and asked around. Like I said though, I'm not into music enough to justify getting one.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Carol, is it actually a Sony stereo in your audio upgrade? Post the model # off the front of it if you will.

This iPod issue was being discussed just a couple weeks back. Best Buy was having a sale on an auto stereo that was iPod ready. So I pulled the stereo from our Safari, took it to Best Buy, and verified that it would swap in and out of the same frame mount. What a deal! ... until I found out that "iPod ready" meant it would have to have the same XA-110IP adaptor. Don't know if this link works, otherwise enter the adaptor model at www.bestbuy.com -- $49.99 at current prices. But Mike makes it sound not very good.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
The book says Sony multi disc player MEX-R5, radio says MEX-R5

I have a cord that splits into two or three plugs that I grabbed out of our gazillion cord box--not sure it's the right one for the job but it works. I will probably get a "proper" IPod cord when I get around to it. Two plugs into the left and rear speaker jacks mounted on the radio wall and the single plug goes into the IPod earplug jack, I set the radio source on auxillary. I can play the playlists but would need to use the IPod click-wheel to skip songs.

Hope that helps a little. I'm not techy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rs9CRW_0622.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	28856   Click image for larger version

Name:	rs9CRW_0624.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	28857  

photography
Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Electronic equipment (and cameras as you know so well!) is hard to research because it is superceded so rapidly. I am able to find this link about the Sony MEX-R5. This is probably similar to information you already have. Two details on one line grab my attention -- referring to it as a Unilink™ Control/MP3 Player. As Microsoft introduces the Zune player, all columnists say that this Apple vs. Microsoft battle now dooms straightforward mp3 players. I think Sony was trying to spread their Unilink system in what was a highly fractured mp3 market a few years back when this was designed. Buh-bye. Yes, the simpler 1-disk Sony in our Safari is similarly hobbled. In my research a few weeks back, Sony's Unilink system seemed to be the byword that requires the now dissed XA-110IP adaptor. At least it couldn't be worse than a cassette tape player (I was about to say 8-track but some people take that as badly as Ford vs. Chev battles).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 11-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Question: I don't have the Audio/Video package in my Safari, but I do have the single disk Sony CD player. Someone mentioned on another thread that even the non A/V equipted Safaris were pre-wired so that you could hook a DVD's audio output to the aux inputs on the Sony stereo deck and the sound would come out of the four stereo speakers. I have never looked to see if there is a sub woofer under one of the dinette seats. Anyway, does anyone know if a DVD can be hooked up to the stereo? It would be great if it could because the A/C unit makes so much noise I have to turn up the volume when it comes on and turn it down when it goes off. This is a pain after the kids have gone to bed. So far I've only used the stereo to listened to CD's. I've never tried to figure any of the other things out yet. The darned thing is too complicated looking!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 11-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
The Sony stereo in our 07 Safari has an aux input on the lower left of the face plate that accepts a mini stereo input jack to plug any type of aux unit in, including Ipods. When we get home from our current trip, in progress, I am picking up another Ipod carry case/cover to velcro to the cabinet near the Sony unit so we can just slip the Ipod into the carry case when we plug into the Sony. All it will require is a stereo mini cable which costs about $3 dollars, which I will cut down to 5 or 6 inches to eliminate the extra length of cable which won't be needed. Since we charge the Ipod thru the laptop, the 110 V outlets throughout the AS provide the electrical source to keep things charged up.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
We have the cigarette lighter plug of the car to keep the IPod charged up so we just bring it in and plug in since the IPod has a finite number of full discharges on it's battery. The Apple Care protection is worth the price though since it includes replacing the battery not intended to be replaced by the consumer and if it needs repair it will cover that, etc. Major investment. We also find ourselves without the ability to recharge with electricity on the road and oftentimes on legs of our longer trips.

I do use the long cord though I tie it up when I have the IPod in the cabinet (because our radio is in the cabinet and requires opening the cabinet to use the remote or get to radio controls.) The long cord lets me leave the IPod on the table to get to the controls. But I like your idea of shortening the cord and velcroing the Pod and case to the cabinet face. We may have to borrow your idea, Brow.

photography
Old 11-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've got a small cigarette lighter 100W DC to AC inverter that I use in my truck. Think I got it at Camping World -- not this one but that's the idea. I see something similar here. I use it with the appropriate cell phone brick or camera recharger and arrive at my destination fully charged -- more necessary when boondocking.

My truck doesn't have an iPod plug-in so I have to use an FM transmitter (a PITA and there's hardly a free frequency near certain cities). But my transmitter does plug into the cigarette lighter and it powers the iPod while underway so that batteries do not discharge. It looks like Carol has a 12V receptacle near her stereo. It would be easy enough to add a 12V receptacle into the line powering the stereo -- but then what would work to power the iPod and prevent battery discharge during non-mobile use?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-02-2007, 01:59 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Hi again folks. Well we've logged around 4,000 miles with our new 27FB since we purchased back in early November. I think we've spent 12 nights in the AS along the way. So far we love everything about it. The floorplan is perfect for us, lots of storage, pulls with ease, and now needs a bath.
Only these small issues to address:
1) The plastic covers on the interior switchable lights..not the recessed ceiling lights, the ones under the cabinets...a few of those white covers keep popping off and I can't figure out how to get them to stay on once they come off. It looks pretty simple but unless I'm missing something in my attempt to snap them back into place they just don't want to stay on there.
Any thoughts on this?

2) I ended up cutting a small, circular, orange gel, the kind used on stage lighting, and inserting it behind the lens of the outside patio light to dim it down. It's a bit too much on the bright side for me with the white bulb and puts out a LOT of patio light...might even put an amber bulb in it too. May also do the same to the step light...or use a different color gel just for variety.

And last of all:
3) Still trying to come up with a good method of attaching my patio awning lights to the awning since it doesn't have the track like our old trailer awning had to slide the light hangers into. Thinking of using those small clothespin-like chip bag clips unless I discover a better idea. I bought some new awning string lights from Airstream but they didn't come with any attachments or suggestions on how to attach...go figure.

Please input your ideas on #1 & #3 ...I'm open to suggestions.

Other than that...we're loving it and looking forward to more miles.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324
Hi again folks. Well we've logged around 4,000 miles with our new 27FB since we purchased back in early November. I think we've spent 12 nights in the AS along the way. So far we love everything about it. The floorplan is perfect for us, lots of storage, pulls with ease, and now needs a bath.
Only these small issues to address:
1) The plastic covers on the interior switchable lights..not the recessed ceiling lights, the ones under the cabinets...a few of those white covers keep popping off and I can't figure out how to get them to stay on once they come off. It looks pretty simple but unless I'm missing something in my attempt to snap them back into place they just don't want to stay on there.
Any thoughts on this?

2) I ended up cutting a small, circular, orange gel, the kind used on stage lighting, and inserting it behind the lens of the outside patio light to dim it down. It's a bit too much on the bright side for me with the white bulb and puts out a LOT of patio light...might even put an amber bulb in it too. May also do the same to the step light...or use a different color gel just for variety.

And last of all:
3) Still trying to come up with a good method of attaching my patio awning lights to the awning since it doesn't have the track like our old trailer awning had to slide the light hangers into. Thinking of using those small clothespin-like chip bag clips unless I discover a better idea. I bought some new awning string lights from Airstream but they didn't come with any attachments or suggestions on how to attach...go figure.

Please input your ideas on #1 & #3 ...I'm open to suggestions.

Other than that...we're loving it and looking forward to more miles.
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your 27 FB

1. We've had to replace bulbs in thosa lights already. They were alittle tricky to get off, but seemed to snap back and stay put.

2. The patio light has been difficult to deal with. We have had neighbors at campgrounds come over and ask us to turn it off because it is offensively bright. We also tried an amber bulb, but that wasn't much better. SuEllyn finally came up with a solution as shown in the photo. It is fashioned from an aluminum eve vent from Home Depot that cost $1.47. It works great and still gives some light.

3. These clips (see photo) are great for holding lights to the awning. They are all plastic and don't rust. They also work great in the bathroom for keeping things in place on the shelves while underway. They are at Wal_mart and not very expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0773.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	30317   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0774.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	30318  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Scurry , Texas
Both of those are fantastic ideas! Gonna put them into action. You could package and sell that patio light cover - I'll be your first customer!
Re: the light covers...they snap back into place but then fall off with the slightest vibration. I've got white duct tape strips along the sides at the moment..which works of course..but looks a bit tacky. If the problem persists and I can't find a solution I may replace them with a different brand of light...there are a total of 6 I think....small expense for happiness.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brow324
And last of all:
These lantern clips from Camping World work really well. They hold the lights very securely.
Lantern Snaps - Camping World
Old 01-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #37
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I too like the 27' as well. My only two beefs are that the sink in the photo is a single sink. That is a PITA when you wash dishes...had that setup in the Bambi and with the newer Safari with dual sinks, what a difference.

The other issue I found is access to storage from outside. Looking at the photos the twins have the best outside access for storage, while the queen might too, the door seems to be behind the LP tanks which might be problematic...regardless though, the FBs are sharp RVs!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
The other issue I found is access to storage from outside. Looking at the photos the twins have the best outside access for storage, while the queen might too, the door seems to be behind the LP tanks which might be problematic...regardless though, the FBs are sharp RVs!
The twins have mega storage -- three outside compartments compared to the queen's one roadside in front of the HW heater. The front compartment door lays flat on the top of the battery lid. Access is easy enough. I fit two folding chairs, the outside mat, broom, dustpan and all sorts of things that would be inconvenient or dirty to carry inside -- it's about 5' long and even has a light! It's a handy place to lock up my Reese WD bars when I'm camped. I would almost think about buying a twin and modding into a queen -- just for the extra outside storage -- 'cept I own the twin already.

I can't get to my 25' FB right away to look at the under-cabinet light cover ... any chance that it has retention nibs that have worn for any reason?

Moosetags, great idea on the patio light! It is quite the spotlight -- could readily stand to be more diffused.

BTW -- watching B-ball on ESPN tonight I saw a GMC Sierra ad and it was pulling a 27' FB Classic for one of several loads that flashed thru the ad!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 01-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Plastic Light Covers

The ones in my bathroom fall off too. I think if you leave them on too long, the heat builds up and deforms the plastic that surrounds the covers. I noticed that the cover of the one in the shower had a very small hole drilled through it near the base of the bulb - possibly to prevent condensation from forming and filling the shade. I thought it would also let heat escape and that cover had never come loose. So I took out my trusty drill and put small holes in every other cover too (two over the dinette, two over the kitchen counter, 4 over the bath sink and one in the closet).

There are little nubs on the shade, one at the round end and on each side close to the bottom edge. If you put the shade back in without sliding the round edge in first, then squeezing the sides together you won't get all three nubs engaged and the shade will fall out. I did find that once white plastic base has been heat deformed it doesn't go completely back to it's original shape once it's cooled so my bathroom shades continue to come loose. I did remove the cover on one and turned off the light, then pressed my thumbs inward on the sides while the the white plastic base cooled.... that one seems to have tightened up nicely. I suppose I could use some mechanical means (duct tape) to tighten up the rest during the cooling process.

I was in a lighting store recently and saw lights that looked exactly like the ones in the A/S except the base was brushed stainless .... I might look at those a little more closely to see if the base was really metal or just plastic with a simulated metal coating.

Something good I noticed about these fixtures is that the lights over the medicine cabinet have a hand switch in the light as well as on the wall. If you're boondocking you can turn out one set of the lights to save electricity.

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If I were buying a 27 FB

I fulltime, so little irritations may matter more to me than to you. I'm sticking with my 25 FB (after moving up from a 22ft CCD)... pending winning the lottery. I do like it a lot. Anyone who is buying new may benefit from my experiences. Here's my ideal 27':
  • Midnight Sun interior - A coffee drinker's best color. Dirt friendly but still neutral. Throw out the bedspread, it weighs a ton.
  • NO wraparound window in the bedroom - you sleep there - darker is better. Three windows with venetian blinds provides max privacy. The CCD/Safari curtains aren't light proof. From the outside at night if the bedroom lights are on and the stoneguard is up, you can count the number of contrasting pillows on the bed... If you're changing cloths or or just TMI to share?
  • In the 27' I like the look of the bedside tables with the front wraparounds better than the look you get with the smaller window. They have two tiny upper cabinets for hanging clothes that could probably hold your PJ's and a robe - it's a little claustrophobic. If possible I'd get the wraparound tables even with the small window.
  • Two Fantastic Fans - the default single fan is in the dinette area. Think about boondocking without air conditioning. Sleeping with the windows open and the fan exhausting would be good! I swear I'm gonna velcro my Endless Breeze up in the vent next time I'm stuck overnight in a rest stop. Also the FF cover is smoked & the vent cover is white plastic.... too much glare for a daylight nap .
  • NO skylight - it's a potential source of leaks, hot in summer, cold in winter... and it's two feet from the vista views and the Fantastic Fan... what's the point? The inside of the Safari SE just glows even without it.
  • Would kill for the 27's "lobster bowl" sink. Had one in the 22. Yes, there's only one but it's big and deep. Standard RV sinks can't take a big skillet or broiler pan and they are so shallow that the counter gets soaked if you wash a coffee pot. Get a biggish collander or a small folding dish rack and put the soapy dishes in it. After everything is washed, drain the water, put the whole rack into the sink and spray rinse everything at one time. Saves water and mess. Also there is less plumbing underneath to cut into undersink storage space.
  • Porcelain pissoire - come on, plastic is cheap and it's gonna wear out so when mine starts to get icky, I'll be replacing it. Why start out with a plastic throne if you're having one built?
Queen vs Twin beds.... totally a personal preference thing and both have benefits. Being single I might choose the twins because I could use the area of the spare bed to do sewing, or even a jigsaw puzzle. On the other hand I'm a restless sleeper and when I awaken I've messed up my whole queen. It's definitely easier to access the whole underbed storage area with singles than with a queen. Cuddle with twins? Well check out the dinette, it's very comfortable (leave the lights OFF, or line the curtains, or be the X-rated movie of the week.)

Solid shelves on the 27' pantry - gotta love em. I looked at my much smaller pantry in the 25' and realized that the wire shelves waste space. The pantry door is over 6 inches wide, the shelves are less than 4 inches. I've never worked with aluminum, but I think I'll get a sheet of anodized and try to bend it into a "U" shape that will be almost as wide as the door. I'd have to trim around the rack frame and punch holes to use the adjustable brackets, but I think I can make add one or two fixed shelves and get a lot more storage bang for my buck.

My 25 FB SE has the small window in the bedroom and the midnight sun interior. The walkaround queen in the 27' has got to be easier to make then my transverse queen, and the mattress can be flipped to wear more evenly. The transverse queen in the 25' has got a curved top edge. It's 75" on the long side, and only 70" next to the front wall. The side near the bath will wear out long before the other side does. I'm short, so when I have to replace the mattress I may get a 60" x 70" rectangle, and add a storage box at the head of the bed that is like the one in the 22ft CCD. It'll be a nice hamper or book box.

If you're spending that kind of money - spend time thinking about every choice - you're gonna live with them for a long time.

Paula

I was always taught to respect my elders,
but it keeps getting harder to find them!
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote