Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
Do you prefer the aluminum walls for the look or for cleaning, longevity and other reasons? Seems like they may be cold in the winter?
DugsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Watch out for the increase in tongue weight in the jump from 19 to 20 feet. The 19 used to have a spec of 500# for the 19' Bambi - it is now 570#. The 20 used to be 600#, now it is spec'd at 640. My 2000 19' Bambi has a weight of just under 500 with propane tanks full and water empty, and it only has one battery as standard. So, you may want to double check the tow hitch capacity on your intended TV.
The metal walls in the CCD versions of the A/S trailers are cold. We used one for a week of late fall camping (nights in the 20s) two years ago. Roll over into the wall at night, and the cold will wake you right up. Also, they sweat. A pillow touching the metal wall on a cold night will end up wet. The SE versions give you the large windows and the furry wall covering, if you want the big glass. The smaller windows on the standard versions of most A/S give us enough view to enjoy the scenery, and more privacy. The big windows are nice if you are off by yourself in the woods.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:44 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
clarkston , Georgia
We lived in our 22' Safari for 8 months with 2 indoor cats and it was cozy but
not too cramped--Todd
tod47d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I thought I'd update my post from a while back after several short weekend trips and one cross country trip this summer in our 20' Safari.

First, it has plenty of room when its just my wife and I traveling. All of the weekend trips were chasing trout in the mountains of Colorado. There are times when she is cooking and it gets a bit tight trying to squeeze by to use the head, but thats a fairly easy work around when there are just 2 of us. My TV for these trips was my 4.7 Tundra with no issues towing up or controlling speed when coming down the passes.

On the cross country trip my 17 year old son (6'3" 240#) went with us and he was a bit large for sleeping on the dinette. We had a fourth passenger on the drive east and those 2 nights were quite tight in the trailer. One the way back it was just the 3 of us and it was much more manageable. The TV for this trip was my wife's V6 Touareg and again no issues towing flat land. It does tax this vehicle out a bit when climbing as we were traveling west back into Colorado, but this can be countered by the triptronic transmission.

We have added a 3" memory foam mattress topper to the bed and it makes it more comfortable.

I dont find that the walls get cold in general. The walls around the bed up front do get a bit cold at night, probably due to the proximity of the furnace away from the bed, but we line that side with a body pillow and it hasn't been a problem.

I still haven't used up all of he storage areas. Even with waders and all of our fishing gear under the dinette, I still have 2 or 3 empty containers under the bed and two fairly empty cabinets over the dinette.

We have considered trading up to a 23' FB model which is a nice layout, but still cant get past the extra kitchen counter and cabinet space that you get with the 20 foot model. To me, thats still the best selling point in the smaller Airstreams.
mffjm8509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #25
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
We have baught 20' 2007 Safari and loved it. So far have taken couple of 4 days trips with some bonedoging. Every thing is perfrect except in the night one of us has to go over the other when nature calls
We were thinking to go for 19' except we did not like the bathrool next to bed.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #26
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Smile Winter Rv'ng

After couple of 4 days trips in warm weather we are planning to go to Flagstaff, AZ for Christmas Holidays. The main reason is to try out our AS in snow. The temperature get down in teens during the night. We have no experience in snow and needs advice?

Also we may need snow chains for the trailer and two vehicle
The campsite has all hookups. The tanks suppose to have built-in heaters
I have baught an electric heater already.

Any advice or reference to previous articles will be much appreciated
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeltersmoke View Post
We love our 2008 Safari SE 20 purchased July 24th 2008. . . . . I don't think there are any major differences other than the name plate.
We also LOVE our 20' 2008 Safari SE purchased April 2007 at Weekleys RV in Owosso, MI

The only difference in the Flying Cloud seems to be that the portholes next to refrigerator have been changed in the 2009, to a SE style window that opens. That was the one "dream change" I would have made to our 2008 SE 20'. They also went back to the wood plank look vinyl flooring.

The answer to the questions about the aluminum interior sweating is ventilation. We bought the full awning package which makes it possible for us to keep windows open for ventilation, even during rain storms. We made some braces with clamps on each end, with which we can prop open the emergency window over the galley sink. We never have problems with sweating at night if we keep windows open.

My question is what is the best way to clean the shinny interior? It collects dust, some cooking grease, finger prints.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
RedDogFox,

Try Walbernize on the inside aluminum. It works great.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #29
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogfox View Post
My question is what is the best way to clean the shinny interior? It collects dust, some cooking grease, finger prints.
Lemon-scented Pledge.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia View Post
After couple of 4 days trips in warm weather we are planning to go to Flagstaff, AZ for Christmas Holidays. The main reason is to try out our AS in snow. The temperature get down in teens during the night. We have no experience in snow and needs advice?

Also we may need snow chains for the trailer and two vehicle
The campsite has all hookups. The tanks suppose to have built-in heaters
I have baught an electric heater already.

Any advice or reference to previous articles will be much appreciated
So where is 2Air now to find the thread? I remember reading that chains on the trailer are not useful or used???? perhaps worth posting a new thread. Have fun on your trip. We took our Airstream to Flagstaff one January and got in record snow, slippery, be careful wait for cleared roads. We slipped, so did many others. I'll keep it at that so as not to deter you, just don't travel even a short distance if the snow begins to fall. We went onto Grand Canyon and had visited meteor crater. Great trip. You need to be pluckier and have shovels, be prepared for road emergencies and storms, and plenty of warm clothing. You'll have a blast. It was beautiful. We didn't have chains and don't recall seeing vehicles with them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Lilliwaup , Washington
The kitchen area and double sink in a 20 ft are great. Yes, the bathroom size seems quite large (wife loves it) I agree a 20 footer is only a tiny bit bigger but far better then the 19. We tow with a 2008 4x4 Nissan Frontier, our single axle 20 tows so well it's easy to forget it's back there
maddlyak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Cumming , Georgia
We have enjoyed a 2007 edition for two years and really like the counter space in the kitchen, the dry bath setup and pretty much everything about it. The storage under the bed is plentiful but challenging to access. We have had kids sleep on the folded down dinette but mostly fill our Airstream with two adults, one dog ... And a lot of fun. Good luck. Hope this helps.
janeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
Was the 20-foot Safari (2007) replaced by the 20-foot Flying Cloud? The current FC has the same floor plan, and there is no Safari in the current product lineup.
Flying Cloud Travel Trailer Floor Plans | Airstream
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
I think the Safari and Flying Cloud are the same, just changed names a couple times over the years. After looking for several years we decided ob the 20' as it was perfect for our needs. You have to try it out your self too see what works for you. We absolutely love the counter space, bathroom lay out, the bed works for us just fine, the 20' size is great for travelling and backing into camp sites that larger trailers may be of some trouble, etc. In the end everyone has different ideas of what they want an need and you will just have to evaluate what you really need and can be comfortable with. Remember it is camping.
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
I'm not shopping, just wondering about the apparent equivalence of the 20-ft Safari and Flying Cloud, which appears to be just a model name change, but I wondered whether there were substantive differences that are not apparent from the floor plans. I already own my 2007 20-ft Safari that I bought last year. But thanks for the insights.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Chelmsford , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
I'm not shopping, just wondering about the apparent equivalence of the 20-ft Safari and Flying Cloud, which appears to be just a model name change, but I wondered whether there were substantive differences that are not apparent from the floor plans. I already own my 2007 20-ft Safari that I bought last year. But thanks for the insights.
We seem to have the same 20' model (2007 Safari, not SE, no front pano window). I gather from my own search for 20 footer that on the FC version replacing the Safari, the pano became standard, the wall covering forward (often called "mouse fur") was removed, the TV was planted above the fridge, the emergency exit window was moved from the rear galley to the left dining area (a small improvement), and decor was redone. The (excellent) layout is essentially unchanged.

Opinions differ on wall covering, I like the extra insulation, others like the romance of bare aluminum. For me the pano window makes little sense in a sleeping area, and the TV is a bit inconvenient on top of the fridge, so I prefer the older version.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
My new-to-me 2007 Safari does not have a television, but the cable port is above the refrigerator, as you say. Any suggestions about brand and type of television, and method to mount it?
Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
I am preparing an application to have my 2007 20-foot Safari appraised in order to be able to get it insured for agreed value, rather than actual cash value based on the NADA value, which is about one-half what I paid for it last year. The form requires that I provide a photograph of the "electrical panel/junction area", which I have been unable to find by looking in every cabinet. Where is it located?
Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
The form requires that I provide a photograph of the "electrical panel/junction area", which I have been unable to find by looking in every cabinet. Where is it located?
Below the fridge?
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Yes. Under the refrigerator. Thank you!!