Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Question Water heater question...

My buddies both own fairly new 31' lightweight SOB's; the water heaters on their campers are capable of either electric or gas operation. That's nice when you're connected at a campground so's you don't have to burn LP for hot water.

Just wondering why A/S didn't go with an electric option on our units?

Thanx, Lance
TennisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Since the classics have the option and I am not sure about the international. I would assmume marketing.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Try cost and electric capacity
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMan
My buddies both own fairly new 31' lightweight SOB's; the water heaters on their campers are capable of either electric or gas operation. That's nice when you're connected at a campground so's you don't have to burn LP for hot water.

Just wondering why A/S didn't go with an electric option on our units?

Thanx, Lance
Lance,

Why not out-do both of them and install an RV-500 tankless water heater. You'll get way more hot water (endless) than they will when hooked to city water and they are way more efficient and cheaper to run as they only work when you are actually using hot water.......no tank to keep hot!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Lance,

Why not out-do both of them and install an RV-500 tankless water heater. You'll get way more hot water (endless) than they will when hooked to city water and they are way more efficient and cheaper to run as they only work when you are actually using hot water.......no tank to keep hot!
Lew, Is there any reason why you couldn't do both? For those who already have a gas heater, add a tankless. Use the tankless for all situations where you have power - then fire up the propane if boondocking/dry camping?
If so what would be the plumbing issues? Check valves needed?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Only Kabballa Knows........

.....but rest assured, its $$$$$ driven ! They ain't cheap !

I can tell you that when I had trouble with my original gas fired Atwood that was under warranty, It was replaced with one of their new combination Gas / Electric "Exothermal" units. ( GE 9 EXT ) It is supposed to increases hot water output by 50%, so 6 gallons magically turns into 9. ( huh ? How-day-do-dat ?)

Electric or gas, it heats up fast and if that ain't fast enough, you can run the electricity AND the gas together ! We don't make HW all day in the trailer, but rather heat the water for our showers and chores when needed and conserve the rest of the time. The water stays hot for a very long time, perhaps helped by the super duper cold weather winter insulation package I installed.

[ In fact, at home, our HWH runs on a timer set to come on 1/2 hour before we wake up for showers, then shuts off. For laundry, chores and dishwasher use, we turn it on manually. Only takes 5 minutes or so to get up to temp. We also switch between electric in the summer and oil fired in the winter. Why keep water hot all day when there is no one home to enjoy it ? ]

The penny pincher in me says it is a good feeling to get more out of your campsite fee dollars by using their electricity that you paid up front for, I like stretching my propane and I do like the flexibility of both options. ( honestly, in reality, I bet you aren't saving much )

Having said that however, if it were a matter of replacing the unit on my dime, I would look at what else is out there, like the one mentioned above, I think it would be a better fit for our lifestyle and dollars better spent.

I've seen the unit Lew refers to, installed and operating....... very nice !

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Lew, Is there any reason why you couldn't do both? For those who already have a gas heater, add a tankless. Use the tankless for all situations where you have power - then fire up the propane if boondocking/dry camping?
If so what would be the plumbing issues? Check valves needed?
Dave
Dave,

You really need only one......the RV-500. Now, I just may be a little biased and I know how 'frugal' some of our Airstream buddies are around here..... but I used the RV-500 for 3 months, taking 2 showers a day and never ran out of propane and never switched tanks either!

In fact, I also ran the gas grill from the same 30# tank and there is still LP in it, as my refer has been running on for the last 3 weeks. I think that's a great track record.

Use the campground's 120VAC for your fridge and air conditioner and of course, playing Led Zeppelin at sufficient volume so the entire campground can enjoy them too .
Old 11-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for the info Lew.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
My 2001 has both electric and gas operation installed when built by Jackson Center. The HotShot is available at camping world as a DIY or they will install. It is a convient way of having hotwater when you have good power at the campground
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
My 2001 has both electric and gas operation installed when built by Jackson Center. The HotShot is available at camping world as a DIY or they will install. It is a convient way of having hotwater when you have good power at the campground
Just a quick word of caution about using a 'Hotshot' or 'Hot-Rodd' electric element. They will INSTANTLY void your water heater warranty......