Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #501
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Trekkers View Post
We picked up our new-to-us 2007 23' Safari SE on Saturday and we're so happy to have our girl home.
Have been reading your thread with great interest since you have the exact year/model. Must compliment you on your ingenuity and entertaining presentation. Took note of all your good ideas and had many chuckles as we followed along with you on your travels.
Especially enjoyed all your pictures of both the decor and the inner working parts. The original owner apparently subscribed to this thread as well. We opened the door underneath the vanity sink and there was a net there...just like yours!
Kudos to you and thanks again.
Thanks Claude and Marianne for your comments.

I'm glad you're happy with your "one shiny aluminum pod of happiness"!

-- Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #502
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Bill, I love this thread - so much detail!

Since you've explored every nook and cranny, I have a question - are there any systems behind the set of drawers in the little credenza next to the table storage and L-lounge?

I like this floor plan a lot (been comparing it to a 23D), but I'd like another foot of lounge goodness. Wondering if I could rework the credenza to have only the table storage, get rid of the drawers, and thus gain some more lounge? Of course, if there are systems hidden behind the chest of drawers, that would make this difficult. Thanks!

Tom
Thanks Tom for your comments.

You asked for it, so I removed the credenza drawers and folding, rolling dinette table and took pictures seen below.

There appears to be a "system" of electrical wires that run along the back bottom of this space that are protected by a metal plate approximately 2" high, which continues forward under the lounge as seen in my post here.

If you reworked the credenza by removing the drawer space, you would only gain about 8". If you removed the dinette table storage space, you would gain approximately 13.75".

Additional thoughts: Every bit of storage space in this 23' Safari is precious to us. We rarely use the dinette table and are considering removing it and using this space for stowage of other items. We have the lounge fully extended (with the additional support of retractable legs) full-time. We and the dogs thoroughly enjoy this space!

Thanks for asking... and Happy New Year!

-- Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0180 Lounge credenza.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	147924   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0177 Space "behind" drawers.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	147925  

Name:	DSC_0174 Empty credenza.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	147926  
Old 12-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #503
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Fabulous Bill - thanks so much! Greatly appreciate the measurements.

I see your point about leaving the lounge down and not bothering with the dinette - we often do the same with our Argosy by leaving its dinette down. (Plus we're too lazy to un-make the bed.)

I'm also thinking that this floorplan really benefits from the credenza's added countertop space.

Happy New Year to you too!

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #504
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Spring Reading for our Airstream

As we prepare for a trip to the California desert to look for wildflowers (which might be diminished this spring due to less than usual rainfall since January 1st) we have added two new items to our Safari's magazine rack, Glacier Icons: 50 Classic Views of the Crown of the Continent, by Bert Gildart, and the "new and improved" Spring 2012 issue of Airstream Life magazine.

This first edition of Glacier Icons, published February 21, 2012, by Globe Pequot Press, features 50 large, stunning photographs of Glacier National Park‘s iconic places, animals, plants, and people, along with short and succinct essays packed with information.

According to Airstream Life Editor and Publisher Rich Luhr, starting with the Winter 2011 issue, Airstream Life has improved its readability by its choice of fonts, a “cleaner” article template, and more dramatic layouts with larger pictures. Airstream Life has a new feature, the “Buyer’s Guide”, which reviews specific Airstream models, and continues to feature quality articles such as those by Bert Gildart, with rich, poetic and majestic images.

For the full story see "Spring 'stream reading: Bert Gildart", History Safari Express, Airstream Life Online Community.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0001 Our Safari Magazine Rack.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	152413   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008 Glacier Icons.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	534.7 KB
ID:	152414  

Name:	DSC_0004 Airstream Life Spring 2012.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	152415  
Old 03-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #505
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
New addition to our Safari Galley... a 10" round bamboo cutting board that fits nicely on our Lobster Sink.

More about this and a spring wildflower update:

"Springtime Safari cheer", History Safari Express, Airstream Life Online Community
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0030 10" bamboo cutting board.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	153744   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0039 Safari galley.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	153745  

Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #506
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Dust devil attacks Airstream

For our last trip of the season to the desert, we returned to our favorite camping spot in the Anza-Borrego Desert not realizing that, when certain conditions are just right, this location could be called "Dust Devil Alley"... and the wrong place to be with our main awning extended.

It was a beautiful, sunny, early afternoon with a gentle breeze as I sat reading under our awning when I suddenly heard the wind rise, along with the rear end of our awning. I jumped up and held onto the nearest (forward) awning rafter arm. It was over within 10 seconds, resulting in a bent rear rafter arm bar.

Read more about this in my post, "Desert flowers and devils", History Safari Express, Airstream Life Online Community.

... and the remedies we took in the aftermath, along with more pictures, in my AirForums posting, "Bent Rafter Arm Bar".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0060 "Dust Devil Alley".jpg
Views:	177
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	161651   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0046 Bent Rafter Arm Bar.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	161652  

Old 06-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #507
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Curtain call by the sea

Last month our Safari Airstream, along with its two solar panels, basked in the sun as we kept cool under the shade of our main awning while listening to the relaxing sounds of the surf at our favorite beach camping spot, bringing our camping season to a close (to avoid the summer crowds and the summer heat of the desert).

While camping in the desert this spring, we enjoyed having the windows, main door, and screen door open, inviting in the cool morning air, but the door opened eastward and the hot morning sun also poured in, so Larry used an old sheet as a curtain sun screen.

Just before coming out to the beach, Larry added a butterflyfish appliqué and made side casings to insert homegrown bamboo poles for support. The sheet was clipped to the top edge of the awning valance.

This has been a work-in-progress project and Larry has since added a giant clam, jellyfish, kelp, fan coral, sponges, and the Hawaii state fish, the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a.

This sheet allows me to enjoy reading outside, while helping with my sun safety concerns.

He also made curtains for the door and a removable dog gate, both held in place by adjustable tension curtain rods, which provided sun screening, privacy, easy access, and ventilation while keeping the main door and screen door open.

More information and photos on this and our latest beach camping experience are found in my post, "Drift and the land yacht" (along with a reference to Wally Byam's sea yacht Caravan), History Safari Express, Airstream Life Online Community.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0011 Awning Sun Screen.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	531.9 KB
ID:	161738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010 Larry and his sun screen.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	161739  

Name:	DSC_0026 Noren curtains & dog gate.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	481.5 KB
ID:	161740   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0147 Work-in-progress screen.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	554.9 KB
ID:	161741  

Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #508
janeinthemtns

1985 31' Excella
near Chama , New Mexico
Pages 3 and 4 say Data Base Error. Too bad!
janeinthemtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #509
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Hey there loved your thread! But I don't see any recent posts? Are you continuing this thread or have you moved over to a new one? Please let me know as I would love to follow your adventures and learn as much as I can regarding the care needed to keep "Kai" my 23' ocean breeze well maintained.
silverwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #510
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thank you, dear readers...

Thank you, janeinthemts for reading this thread... pages 3 and 4 look fine to me.

Thanks silverwheels for your comments (and congratulations on your new-to-you 2008 23' International Ocean Breeze!). As long as there are readers such as yourself who enjoy seeing and reading how we use our once brand new trailer from point-of-sale to the present, I will continue to update this thread, which contains many useful tips, ideas, and solutions that have worked for us, and hopefully, useful for readers.

As an Airstream Life Online Community author, I do maintain a parallel, in-depth blog, History Safari Express... but it is inevitable that somewhere down the road our adventures will take us somewhere where we won't need a trailer... and History Safari Express will undoubtedly vanish into thin air... but hopefully, this thread will live on indefinitely on this wonderful, knowledge sharing Air Forums with the help of its Supporting Members and advertisers.

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #511
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The updates continue...

Following our camping on the bluffs at South Carlsbad State Beach in May, 2012, our trailer got its annual big wash, wax, and treat job.

Our original 14" Marathon tires became 6 years old during the summer of '12. I have read that the projected life of a normal trailer tire is three to five years, so I knew we were overdue and replaced our tires with new Marathon tires... yes, Marathon tires!

Marathon tires have worked well for us, especially the way we use them:

1. They are protected from the sun by covers when they are not moving.
2. Before a trip they are at the specified pressure of 50 psi, cold.
3. We travel at or near the posted speed for trailers in California, 55 mph, most of the time, and rarely exceed 62 mph.
4. Our monthly trips, October through June, never exceed 200 miles, round-trip.
5. During trips, we continuously monitor all trailer and truck tires with PressurePro tire sensors.
6. When home, the trailer tires rest on plywood panels on the driveway.

More information and photos on this are found on my History Safari Express post, "A marathon experience".

(Note: I caution readers that this thread is not the place to debate this perennially contentious Air Forums issue... and I trust that the monitors will help with this.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0189 Changing Marathon tires.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	191869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0194 Tires off to tire shop.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	191870  

Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #512
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Earlier in the year (2012), the two original Lifeline GPL-24T Deep Cycle AGM batteries became five and a half years old and were beginning to not adequately hold onto a charge over the 5 days of non-hook-up camping that we like to do.

I posted details on "How I changed my Lifeline AGM batteries" here.

Our AGM batteries are protected by our Xantrex 3-stage converter that replaced our original Parallax converter (installation details posted here).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0102 Diagram of batteries' wires.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	191882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0093 New AGM batteries.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	191883  

Name:	DSC_0100 Xantrex converter.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	521.6 KB
ID:	191884  
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #513
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
The rub rail

After replacing our Marathon tires, I addressed the issue of cracks that have appeared in the sealant along parts of the top edge of our rub rail along the bottom of the trailer. The integrity of this seal is important because, if enough water gets behind the rub rail, it could lead to floor rot. We don't get a lot of rain here in San Diego, but we often have dew that easily drips down the sides to the rub rail.

I resealed the top edge of all rub rail segments with Acryl-R and will inspect this area for possible resealing annually.

See more information and photos on this, and how I reattached loose segments of the rub rail in my History Safari Express post, "Aye, there's the rub rail".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0172 cracks in rub rail sealant.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	191919   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0200 Sealing with Acryl-R.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	191920  

Old 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #514
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Curtains up!

So with new tires, we returned to the desert, along with new white tire covers to protect them from the sun during our 5 day stay. Larry had perfected his homemade dog gate by using plastic hardware cloth held in place by tension shower rods and Velcro tabs on the ends. He also made new Kokopelli appliqué curtains.

See more information and photos of these curtains, dog gate, and how we use our Volcano grill in my History Safari Express post, "Fired up, and ready to go".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0022 Homemade dog gate.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	522.1 KB
ID:	191931   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003 Kokopelli curtains.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	557.7 KB
ID:	191932  

Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #515
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Cooks and cookware

Larry is the cook... and he delights in researching, preparing, and cooking a variety of world cuisines, and to do this, he has a variety of cookware, such as the Panini pan, various cast iron pots and pans, including an enameled Japanese cast iron pot. (The heaviest items get carried by our F-250 truck.)

It's nice to see in the recent Air Forums' thread, "Your Top 5 Galley must haves", that others also enjoy bringing along cast iron cookware to enjoy feasting in the great outdoors!

See more information and photos on cooking and cookware that we did from last winter up to the present in my History Safari Express posts:
"To have and have another celebration... of life"
"Cuyamaca Mountain high"
"Ocean safari fiesta, part one" and "Ocean safari fiesta, part two"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0105 Latekes cooked on Volcano.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	191958   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0023 Panini pan (press).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	191960  

Name:	DSC_0090 Caldo de Mariscos.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	191963   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0008 Caldo de Mariscos, iron pot.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	191964  

Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #516
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Wireless digital refrigerator thermometer

Keeping the food for those feasts at the proper temperature (33 to 39 °F) can be challenging, especially in RV refrigerators.

With our new wireless digital refrigerator thermometer, we can monitor the current temperature without opening the refrigerator door, and we can see the highest and lowest temperature since the display was last cleared.

See more information and photos in my History Safari Express post, "Cool... and wireless".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0094 AcuRite Wireless Thermometer.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	191972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010 AcuRite Main Unit (receiver).jpg
Views:	163
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	191973  

Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #517
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
So that completes this Special Edition of updates...

Hope you are having a wonderful summer...

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0052 Safari Special Edition.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	191974   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033 Cheers!.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	191975  

Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #518
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Thanks for the updates! We've been enjoying our nearly-identical trailer, and appreciate the maintenance tips. Amazed at how well this floorplan suits us.

Tom
Old 08-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #519
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Thanks for the updates! We've been enjoying our nearly-identical trailer, and appreciate the maintenance tips. Amazed at how well this floorplan suits us.

Tom
You're welcome, Tom! Yes, this floor plan also works well for us... and our two dogs!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #520
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
"Database error" message for pages 3 and 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeinthemtns View Post
Pages 3 and 4 say Data Base Error. Too bad!
Thanks, Jane, for your observation, and I tonight I experienced the "Database error" message when clicking on pages 3 and 4 of this thread, but only when I was logged on as a member. When I logged out and viewed these pages as a guest, these two pages displayed my original content just fine!

This seems to be an AirForums' database problem. I reported this to the monitors and until this is corrected, those who wish to see these two pages should view them as a guest rather than as a member!