Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Scissor Jacks on 23' Safari SE LS

Has anyone installed scissor jacks on the four corners of their Airstream? I have scissor jacks on my TrailManor and it makes it a lot easier to level.

Will the factory install scissor jacks instead of the standard stabilizers?
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi orangekid....

the problem i see with traditional scissor jacks is clearance...

the airstreams are closer to the ground and scissor jacks don't compress enough so fore/aft ground clearance would be greatly reduced...

each modification that the factory does is a 500$ surcharge...

along with the price of the modification...

since they don't stock or use 'bal' type scissor jacks on any models, they likely would not do this work...

but your dealer could if you really wanted them...

or camping world or any rv shop....

why do you want scissor jacks?

as for leveling...

on airstreams this is done under the tires and tongue jack...

the stabilizers are only to stabilize...

the trailer/frame is not to be lifted by the jacks...

it will twist and can damage the trailer....and skin.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi orangekid....

the stabilizers are only to stabilize...

the trailer/frame is not to be lifted by the jacks...

it will twist and can damage the trailer....and skin.

cheers
2air'
Is the frame not strong enough to allow it to be jacked up. If that is the case how does one change a tire?

I have scissor jacks on my TrailManor and they make it very easy to level the trailer precisely. I do not have to put wood slats under the wheels for side to side leveling. Front to back leveling is done with the tongue jack.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I got our Safari special ordered, there was no mod charge at all. A bit over a year ago, when I was interested in custom ordering a 31' Classic Dinette, there was a flat $500 mod charge, plus the price of the mods.

If in fact they are now charging $500 per change, PLUS the mod cost itself, that's insane IMHO give the near stratosphere costs of these units already, and the very high year to year increases.

Sorry, just had to comment on that.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
BAL jacks as installed on Airstreams have extra long shafts -- significantly longer than the one's I've seen in a local SOB RV dealer. The reason is that the main fore and aft frame members to which they are anchored are almost 2' from the trailer edge.

Believe what you read that it is not recommended to jack the trailer this far outboard of the axles. The frame is designed for the stresses of going down the road and it would take a lot more weight to give rigidity for leveling as you propose (and I'm envious when I see a moho do it at a push of a button). A SOB wood frame or plastic shell trailer may be able to take the flex -- I know an Airstream won't and I'm certain some will show irreversible outer skin changes. But even before that you will see doors that bind if you jack the corners like this.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #6
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
I know an Airstream won't and I'm certain some will show irreversible outer skin changes. But even before that you will see doors that bind if you jack the corners like this.
I guess scissor jacks are a bad idea on an Airstream. That is too bad as it really makes leveling a breeze. I guess I will just have to learn to estimate how much wood to put under each tire on the lower side.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
If in fact they are now charging $500 per change, PLUS the mod cost itself, that's insane IMHO give the near stratosphere costs of these units already, and the very high year to year increases.
I agree it is insane!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
_

. , .
hi orange kid, twink and canoestream...

orange kid...
recall that with airstreams the shell is part of the structural support...semi-monoque is the term.

the shell goes on before anything goes inside and the shell helps resist the frame 'drooping' at either end...

if/when you get an airstream, try lowering just one stabilizer...

you will see the frame flex and the door opening will change....

don't go more than an inch....or the skin will crackel and wrinkle...

most sobs are built with a much stronger frame, and often much of the interior is completed before the walls/roof go on...

most of the support for sobs comes directly from the frame....and that's why the jacks can be used to level...

airstream doesn't even call 'em jacks....they are 'stablizers'...

'twink....

on the 500$ up charge for custom order/changes...

one dealer recently told me it was 'per item' and another suggested it was a 'one time' charge.. along with the cost (labor and materials) for the modifications...

i started out with several mods but ultimately most were classified as accessories so now looking at my original work order/invoice....

i see only ONE 500$ surcharge...for leaving OUT the carpet...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #9
_

. , .
one other item orange kid...

you asked 'how does one change a tire?'

we have been discussing this very issue in another concurrent thread...

so it really pays to search the archives here,
as most questions/issues have been discussed many times,
and except for brand spank'n new models,
there are LOADS of good info available....

cheers
2air'

Old 11-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
orange kid...
recall that with airstreams the shell is part of the structural support...semi-monoque is the term.

on the 500$ up charge for custom order/changes...

cheers
2air'
Thanks for the info on how Airstream is constructed. I will forget about trying to install scissor jacks on an Airstream.

$500 per trailer for custom work is reasonable, $500 for each change is unreasonable in my opinion. For example I will want a second 53 watt solar panel. I hope Airstream does not want to charge me $500 in addition to the cost and labor of installing the second panel.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Though I can't rule out a change being made, the $500 flat mod charge (for one mod or a handful), plus materials and labor each mod is what the factory mentioned in the process to me a while back. It might just be that one dealer was not up to speed, but my exp was a bit ago and not very recent, who knows at this point. I'd agree though, $500 per mod, plus materials and labor is a bit much. Too bad they didn't have the SE version back in 2004. I had asked for the CCD windows and was kindly told no. 6 months later, they came out with the SE version with the main exception being the inner skin of a CCD. If they would have, it would have been great to not pay the $500 fee then either for those mods.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote