Old 09-06-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Rotten floor due to water leak!

I've got an '07 Safari 25-footer FB SE; last time we were camping we noticed a soft spot under the dinette which turned out to be water-damaged rotten wood. Looks like water has been gathering under the linoleum for a long period of time and causing the problem including a crumbling section about eight inches in diameter.

The question of course, is where could the water be coming from? We keep the camper under covered storage so its probably not an external source (rain, etc.) coming thru a window.

Of course, warranty was out in May of 2009 but Airstream is working with us on it. The snag is we need to take it up to the Factory which is 600 miles one-way. Anyone recommend a good repair shop nearer to Atlanta Georgia?

Any ideas on where the leak may be coming from?

Lance

Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
We had some staining (from a leak) on our trailer also. Have not had the courage to pull up the linoleum to check on the extent of damage. My wife mentioned the discoloration a few months into us buying the unit but didn't mention it to me until a few months ago. Way past the 2 year warranty. I called AS and they said the trim piece (under the back window, running from door to furnace probably had a gap in it (true!) and that is where the water got in. The trim piece is to hide where the body meets the floor. I got some AS sealant and went around the whole area. I don't know if it cured it as I also have a leak from one of the top windows over the sofa.

Let me know what AS does to help you out in this situation. Obviously it was a manufacturing defect.

John

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Had an RV service shop remove the rear trim at the bumper.

THERE WAS NO SEALANT.

It's evident where the water was getting under the rear wall and into the interior.

This is the second 2007 I know about that has had this issue; you may want to check yours!

Lance
Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Is Airstream going to step up to the plate and repair this for you? this is obviously a case of poor construction from the factory. Probably the same guy that sealed my shower. Are you going to replace your entire floor?

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
McKinney , Texas
You would think they would issue a recall. It really makes you wonder if an Airstream is really built any better than the others doesn't it? They sure make you pay for it!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
My problem is identical to yours!

I've got an '07 Safari 25-footer FB SE; last time we were camping we noticed a soft spot under the dinette which turned out to be water-damaged rotten wood. Looks like water has been gathering under the linoleum for a long period of time and causing the problem including a crumbling section about eight inches in diameter.

The question of course, is where could the water be coming from? We keep the camper under covered storage so its probably not an external source (rain, etc.) coming thru a window.

Of course, warranty was out in May of 2009 but Airstream is working with us on it. The snag is we need to take it up to the Factory which is 600 miles one-way. Anyone recommend a good repair shop nearer to Atlanta Georgia?

Any ideas on where the leak may be coming from?

Lance (TennisMan, 2009)

Here I am a year after TennisMan's post, and I have the identical problem with nearly the identical model Airstream...a 27ft '07 FB Safari SE, puchased in late '07. Out of warranty of course!!

The rot is afew patches under the dinette, and like TennisMan I suspect leaks in the rear seals around the bumper and trunk assmebly. I just discovered this yesterday, and am cogitating on what to do. Did Airstream help you out, TennisMan? I haven't removed the trunk yet to see if they missed applying sealant there, as in TennisMan's, but I can. What would you good folk suggest as a first course of action?

Words cannot express how disappointed I am in Airstream---whether they left out the sealant (as with TennisMan's) or not, this is a shoddy design. At about $60k, this product should NOT be rotting away only a few years from purchase. I keep mine completely under cover, and maintain it religiously. This should not be happening!

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Take it to the factory
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Kennesaw , Georgia
Angry

I had it repaired locally for about $500; it would've cost me far more to travel to the factory and get it repaired. The guy who repaired it (who was trained by A/S) said the rot was definitely due to the lack of sealant between bumper and wall. A/S only offered to "assist" in the repair with a reduced labor rate. Gee, thanks for the offer.

Sorry to see it happen over and over again; will I buy another A/S? No sir, no chance, no way.

Lance
Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Thanks very much for the reply, Lance. It is good to know what happened in your case with Airstream---that they did not stand behind their product in what was a clear manufacturing defect. If this were a flyweight, run-of-the-mill white box trailer, I could understand....but not when we pay a very hefty, premium price for a supposedly outstanding product. If they forgot to put in the sealant at the factory, they should make it good, no matter if your two year warranty just ran out. Lexus and Toyota recalls don't depend upon warranty timing.

I spoke with head office Airstream customer service today--they were undertandably reticent to discuss what might be done until it is examined, which is fair enough. I'll take my trailer by our local Airstream dealer tomorrow for an inspection and estimate. I intend to be there when they take off the aluminum molding, in order to see if my trailer, like yours, was built without necessary sealant between the bumper and the wall. If so, perhaps a recall--or at least an appropriate repair policy--is in order, as both rolled off their assembly line in the same year.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I won't post about my issue - but believe me - I can give you their answer, it's all your lack of proper maintenance and lack of detecting the leak in time that is the problem. Ask me how I know.....

been ther last month - got that answer - even though there was a 2003 CCD 4 s/n numbers behind mine which had the EXACT same issue and leak and repair - and it was all my fault that mine leaked.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
Clancy,
Can I ask where your leak was and the source? I just found a soft floor and leak under the vinyl on the curbside in the area of where the desk used to be. I think it might be coming in from the outside electrical outlet but I'm not sure.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davern1 View Post
Clancy,
Can I ask where your leak was and the source? I just found a soft floor and leak under the vinyl on the curbside in the area of where the desk used to be. I think it might be coming in from the outside electrical outlet but I'm not sure.

Yep - exactly - no sealant under the beltline trim.

I also had them add the frame strength kit to all my outriggers which they did at their cost. I will add that the factory service guys are the best at these repairs but they do get alot of practice, sadly.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Thanks for the post, ClancyBoy. Yet another couple of cases with the same problem--clearly originating at the Airstream factory.

I brought my A/S to a dealer this morning; they'll get to it early next week so no prognosis yet. I can say with certainty (and photos) that there was no factory installed sealant along the external base of the beltline trim--just along the top. That means that the only defense against major water leaks for water hitting the top of the horizontal bumper trunk surface would be a line of sealant underneath the beltline trim, along the hidden join between the trailer shell and the bumper trunk. This is precisely where there was no sealant on TennisBoy's trailer (see his first posts and photo). I will know the story on my trailer in a few days. The service agent, for what it is worth, shook his head and agreed that there is no way that this type of leak should be happening on a 2 and 1/2 year old trailer. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks for the info. Our 2009 FC 27FB has a discolored area under the dinette. I have already found and repaired leaks at the rear windows (do not believe this to be the source of the problem). After 1 year of ownership and multiple problems, I find it hard to believe the newer models will last any longer than any other brand out there. Mark me down for someone who will not buy another Airscream. Wish I had found this forum B4 purchase.

Bill