Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #141
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnail
Naper, I'd had my trailer for 3.5 years when I discovered the floor rotted out. Offering me the full purchase price in trade and then jacking up the price on a new unit to 12k over actual value is crooked.
How does the "actual value" compare to the MSRP?
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 PM   #142
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
Punta Gorda , Florida
Has anyone used Gluvit to penetrate these small areas where the leaks are coming from? Does anyone have an opinion if this is an appropriate product for the AS leak problem?
John Dibble
2008 28' Safari (leak problems unkown to date)
mysecondjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #143
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Silversnail, I hear you. Here is an update on my own situation...not much better a result with Airstream Corp, I'm afraid.

Anyone who has read all of this long thread will know of the floor rot I had in early 2010 in my 2007 Safari...just out of warranty. The rotted floor under the dinette. The run-around from Airstream and some of their approved repair folks ('you should do better maintenance!'). I did lots of posting on this thread, which helped to uncover many, many other owners with the same exact floor rot problem in late model trailers....defective design and construction, not maintenance!

Then the Airstream consumer rep finally agreed to help pay most of the floor repair....after many posts showing their faulty product was not just a one-off with me. My (very competent) repair shop here in Houston finds a major leak at the mitre joint of the rear pano - one that had been gooped-up in an effort to seal the leak before I bought the tralier, as we then discovered...the after-market sealant was hidden from view by the pano curtains. There were also water leaks along the bumper seam, which were then sealed. My repair guy recommended then that the pano window frame should be removed and reinstalled, as he observed that the leak problem was because the factory had left the foam sealant out between the window and the frame...a factory defect. Instead of fixing it like my repair guy had suggested, A/S requested a less expensive sealant re-application, externally. All of that takes us to fall of 2010, when after months of repair and struggles with Airstream, it is fixed and water tested. I take my trailer back home and put it in the barn.

In June I take it on its first post-repair trip, to Colorado. On the very first rainstorm, the same mitred corner of the rear pano leaks like a sieve. The sealant fixes suggested by A/S failed absolutely, both before I bought the trailer and now in 2011.

So this week my repair guy goes back to A/S on this re-occuring leak, requesting again that the window be taken out and reinstalled, which is a $500 job. A/S now says the window isn't their problem, the trailer is out of warranty anyway, and they will fund nothing.

I can only tell you what I now tell everone who asks: I will never again do business with Airstream. Their trailers are not worth their inflated prices, they have some obvious factory quality issues, and they don't stand behind their product. Enough said.
glenamoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #144
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Glenamoy, that is a crying shame. Corporate America at it's best. Let's call it Thor Think! That said, if you requested and achieved a repair while it was under warranty, and the defect was not fixed, it would seem to be that they would still have to stand behind it. But it's hard/expensive to fight city hall. I would file every BBB/Consumer etc. complaint that I would, at least it would then be on their record.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #145
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I had a General Motors' car fixed for free, well after the factory warranty period expired because there was an identified problem that resulted in an extended warranty on that item. The dealer knew of the bulletin on the item and fixed it totally free. I expected to pay for repairs when I brought it in. If I would have taken the vehicle to an independent garage I would have paid for the repairs. That experience sort of sold me on using the manufacturer's dealer for repairs.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
I took our Airstream to Campers Clinic in Buda to have the bumper area checked for possible water leaks. I have not had any issues and no indications of water leakage but our Airstream is kept in an enclosed building when not being used. The inspection showed the area above the bumper was not sealed and there was no water damage to the floor. The pan was dropped and showed some moisture. Airstream did pay for 2 hours of labor. I guess it was better than nothing.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:23 AM   #147
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Early Warning for Water Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
We Have not had the courage to pull up the linoleum to check on the extent of damage.
I'm not sure anyone has done this, but would anything prevent one from purchasing a new AS, and specifying no floor covering. Then cutting and putting down some carpet on your own (small area means remnant size=cheap for good stuff). Not bothering to put it under cabinets and using minimum tack down, it would enable one to frequently check under the carpet for the first sign of a leak. Plus, as the carpet gets worn or dirty, it's easy to remove and put down more. A side bonus would be that change of pattern or color carpet might be a nice easy way to refresh the interior.

I know if I every had to replace a floor due to rotting, I'd never trust putting down a perminent floor. Since it is almost a given that the AS foor will rot, this may be an easy very early warning way to keep your foot from going through the floor. Any thoughts about this?
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #148

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Kitchener , Ontario
Rotten floor in rear

I own the same trailer as you, and, about 2 weeks ago while camping, have discovered an identical rotten spot near my dinette at the rear. As we speak, the Trailer Centre in Dorchester, Ontario, Canada has just pulled back the linoleum and informed me (today) that the rear 3 feet of the floor is rotten. This repair man is an independent with 30 years experience working for the Airstream Dealer here in Ontario. He sees no evidence of leaking and thinks that the water has been coming in above the rear bumper somehow. Has Airstream admitted to any design flaws? Do you think I should contact them? I'd be interested in your reply.
johngamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngamble View Post
He sees no evidence of leaking and thinks that the water has been coming in above the rear bumper somehow.

Has Airstream admitted to any design flaws?

Do you think I should contact them?

I'd be interested in your reply.
ANSWERS: Probably, it's a design flaw they have known about for years.

The tech's have in the repair shop at JC - good luck getting anything from the company.

Absolutly, several have received help from them in an under-handed way, it's hit or miss in who they help - squeaky wheel gets the grease sorta way.

There you have it, using their famous words to me - "You bought it, you should have maintained it!"
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Southern Pines , North Carolina
I'm afraid I'm in for it. Just noticed in our '07 Bambi, that we purchased new and have taken care of like a baby, a soft spot under the dinette. I've yet to contact the manufacturer, have decided to check around at other repair sources. Does the manufacturer offer that type repair service? And what cost should I be looking at to replace the entire floor? My grandaddy had airstreams and never had this problem. Coot
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #151
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
I'm afraid I'm in for it. Just noticed in our '07 Bambi, that we purchased new and have taken care of like a baby, a soft spot under the dinette. I've yet to contact the manufacturer, have decided to check around at other repair sources. Does the manufacturer offer that type repair service? And what cost should I be looking at to replace the entire floor? My grandaddy had airstreams and never had this problem. Coot

Wow, my sister lives in Vass, NC. I camped at Sp once for my niece's graduation. Small world.

Yes, in Jackson Center they will do the repairs. They are who I would call if I was you. It may be a drive but they will do the best job. I had 3 estimates - they were the cheapest (not that important to me but it did help) and they have all the parts there if anything breaks in the disassembly process to fix it quick. Their quotes are backed buy a guarantee and they will stiuck with it if they run into any unforseen difficulties. I both praise the shop and curse the company - it hurts because I like my AS so much. Sad that we are let down this way.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #152
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Bend , Oregon
The rotten floor issue

I decided to check in to see how this thread is going and so saddened to see how this problem is definitely still a problem. We had the exact same thing happen last year and it was discovered that Airstream failed to put the sealant between the bumper and the floor. When the trim is pulled off you can see exactly where the sealant was NOT EVER applied. This has nothing to do with owner maintenance. What will it take to have Airstream admit to this and do a recall? I don't get it. We are now terrified that it's probably happening in the front as well and are too afraid to look. For as much money as we've spent on these Airstreams, this is deplorable. We thought we'd own ours forever, and want now to just get rid of the thing and never look back. We can't count on it. Leaks come in the front windows now when it rains even just a little. Is it that we all have to decide to band together to fight this?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #153
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Cooter-
I also have a 2006 Bambi and experienced floor rot under the dinette and the street side seating. It was the result of leakage from the overflow hose from the fresh water tank fill. The water would run down the wall and go between the vinyl and the plywood undetected. Even though it was apparent this leakage had been going on since the unit was purchased new, Airstream would have nothing to do with contributing to the repairs (it was less than a year out of warranty). Repairs were handled by C&G in Bellflower CA (an Airstream authorized repair facility). They did an excellent job of patching in new plywood to replace the rotted sections and I've had no issues since. I still love the trailer and when people want to check it out I'm still singing the praises of it's many virtues...but I'm also sure they know about the warts that corporate refuses to address. Letting those buyers beware!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #154
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Southern Pines , North Carolina
It is a small world. The older I get the more I realize it. An update; I contacted The Out of Doors Mart (where we purchased the stream in '07. They gave me the maintainance spiel. They are willing to look at it and give me a price on repair (from 500.00 to 3,000.00) I've a call in to Airstream. They've yet to return my call.I'm off to the beach next week. We'll work around the soft spot. Then winterize and see if I can get it fixed before next season. Who would have thunk it, a 46,000.00 unit three years later with a rotten floor. I had planned to upgrade to a 28 ft Safari in'13...don't think so now. Coot
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #155
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
EXACTLY - Loss of repeat customer's is what AS is getting from all this - may be a small percentage buy it's a real loss in this economy - not to mention the number of people I have told this story to who have looked at my CCD and moved on. Their loss, sad but real.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #156
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Being relatively new to Airstream, I see this issue pop up repeatedly and it concerns me as this was beyond what we would have paid for a travel trailer except we hope it will see us through our retirement. What amazes me is that with all the various synthetic materials available, why is wood still used for the floor where nearly any unseen leak will wreak havoc?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #157
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
YankeeDoodle: The simple answer is cost - really their savings in the production costs.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #158
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
I have a 2006 23 ft, i would never ever buy another AS. The quality is the same crap we buy from China. The floor under my dinette was soft, i started ripping up the flooring this morning, of course it was soaked. Kept on ripping up the flooring and it's wet under the fridge cabinet too. I stopped there, just didn't have in me to look at it anymore today.

I was going to fix it myself, but I'm just not sure how hard it would be to take the whole frig cabinet out. I'll call the factory on Monday to see how many thousands they will charge me. If it's too much, at least i will give them a good piece of my mind. If this is the best construction they can do, i hope they go bankrupt, for the money it's a piece of garbage. Just one of many problems.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #159
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sixs years old? maybe some preventive maintenance needed to be done. just thinking, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #160
3 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Sixs years old? maybe some preventive maintenance needed to be done. just thinking, jim
Careful, you may want to read some of the thread background here. A lot of these issues are due to belt line leaks where there was no seal installed in the gap between the frame & shell. These leaks would be impossible to detect without pulling the belt line trim, which involves removing the adhesive section and unscrewing about 20-50 screws just to access the area.

Not exactly the kind of maintenance you'll see spelled out in the manual. Oh yeah, that trim piece is has sealant above & below it as well. So while it may "appear" sealed, it may not be.

I agree not everything is a build quality issue. Owners do need to keep up with maintenance, but floor rot seems to be a common issue in a lot of the newer models, and nowhere is prevention of this issue spelled out in the AS manual.
Hansom-Man is offline   Reply With Quote