Old 08-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Searching rotten floors in Airstreams, the problem is certainly not limited to the new ones. These things have leaked forever, and leaks are found not only in Airstreams.

Wishing Airstream would step up and take responsibility, get behind the problems we have, and get their engineers to design these leaks out of the new models. But I doubt it will happen. Our best resource for information may be this forum, experience and fixes by actual users.

Doug
Well.....with all due respect, you are letting A/S off a bit easy. A $60,000 investment should not have a rotten floor its first year (or second or third), period. If they cannot build a quality, rot-free unit, then they either should build tiny fiberglass $6,000 Scamps, or just quit the business. Selling units for $60,000 and up ---DOUBLE the price of the competition--implies a certain level of reliability that plainly isn't there. Enough said.

glenamoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
BTW, my 62 had a lifetime warranty glued to the closet door.
of course, that's the lifetime of the original purchaser.... but how did we go from "lifetime" warranty (in wally years) to 2 year warranty in new trailers in the 2000's?

$1,000 computers have longer warranties... cheaper CARS have longer warranties....

not intended to 'knock' you guys here but... I could never buy new with all these known issues and only a 2 yr warranty! At least with my own work, if it breaks, i know who is responsible and i will hold them fully accountable!!

NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
glen', not intended to let Airstream off the hook.

The reality is their product is not, nor ever has been, as good as the hype. Most of the old Airstreams are "still on the road" because of the dedicated efforts of many good hobbyists who have dismantled and rebuilt them, not because of build quality.

Wally was as much showman and promoter as he was trailer builder. He promoted the aluminum shell and an American dream; the rest of it is everyday RV crap. And that is what we have bought. I am very happy with the aluminum and the dream, and perhaps that is why I like the 'stream so much.

I haven't seen a lot of success here in holding the company's feet to the fire. Some, but not impressive. It is also important to me to discuss good fixes for the problems, and to locate causes so we can do the maintenance to prevent recurrence.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
late model floor leaks

Well, we could put done to the lack of maintenance argument if we could find a late model still on a dealer lot. If said dealer could be persuaded to peak under the bumper trim.............
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Floor Leaks

When is "Bigfoot" Trailers coming Back ?
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
knunut, we both have '07 Safari 20 SE. I have poked around best I could and find no evidence of leaks.

How about you?

Doug
Old 08-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
"If you had properly maintained your trailer then this would not of happened!"

Hi, so I take this to mean that everyone should have known to seal the area in the rear, where the body sits on top of the frame, because the factory didn't do it before installing the lower body moulding; Or never let your trailer get wet.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I am wondering if any of them are sealed along this lower moulding, or are supposed to be? Is this the problem area, or is the rear pano windows, or somewhere else?

Doug
Old 08-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
I find it difficult to check, the areas i can't check worry me. Inside the rear storage area the floor has the aluminium plate which would be the area of most damage? But can't look under it.
I used Sikaflex-221 around the "Outside" of the seam as a Temp. prevention. Put it just on the bottom seam not on top of trim. Didn't want to take all the trim off,yet. When i have the annual maint. done @ Dealer i might have them take it apart and re-do.
Maybe having a shorter trailer without the wrap around windows might lessen the areas of leaking ?
Doug, if i find any i will pm you.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, so I take this to mean that everyone should have known to seal the area in the rear, where the body sits on top of the frame, because the factory didn't do it before installing the lower body moulding; Or never let your trailer get wet.
That's not me making those statements - those are quotes I wrote down (very soon after hearing them)as I was going through the repair/checkout process. That said, there was a 2003 22'CCD on the lot - 4 serial numbers less than mine - the EXACT same damage and repair. Funny they would say all that to me and get mad when I told them I crawled under the sister to mine on their lot.

I have a 3 page gripe and notes document that I want to post but am sure it would get removed. Just to let you know, I had plans for a 25' or 27 footer new but am re-thinking my purchase. We will use the 22' for a few more years and be happy with her, she was our choice of models offered. Sad we had this small but troubling incident.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I took our 27 FB in today to the dealer. I had them take off the back molding piece to find, as we all have, that there is no sealant there. The tech said that there never was sealant there as it was sealed behind and underneath where the body meets the floor. So maybe it is sealed after all and we are looking for something (or lack of something) that is not an issue. He DID say that we should bring it in every year to have the seams on the trailer sealed. I asked him where in the maintenance schedule it says to do that and got a shrug. He mentioned that the panoramic windows can get very small leaks and drain down the wall onto the floor. He also said that finding leaks is nigh on impossible so they just repair the damage and seal up everything in sight.

They had one other trailer like mine with the same issue. They had to fix the sub-floor, drop the body pan and pull the old insulation, replace the flooring. All to the tune of $3500.

At this time, he is waiting for a call from AS to see what, if anything, they are willing to come up with.

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
If there is no intended sealant at the rear moulding, but it is sealed behind and underneath where the body meets the floor, it would appear to be a mistake to put sealant at the bottom of the outer moulding. Water entering that area (such as through the rivets that holding the moulding on) would be trapped inside, even through the area is very small between the outer moulding and the factory sealant underneath. Trapped water could freeze, expanding and opening things up, find a path inside, or cause corrosion.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
More of an issue in Minnesota than in California but you make a good point. Maybe the design is good after all?

To err is human. To arrrrrrr is pirate.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM   #74
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont View Post
He mentioned that the panoramic windows can get very small leaks and drain down the wall onto the floor. He also said that finding leaks is nigh on impossible so they just repair the damage and seal up everything in sight.

They had one other trailer like mine with the same issue. They had to fix the sub-floor, drop the body pan and pull the old insulation, replace the flooring. All to the tune of $3500.

At this time, he is waiting for a call from AS to see what, if anything, they are willing to come up with.
That is my experience, precisely. I think I may have mentioned above that when I took my A/S to another repair shop, after it had been standing in heavy rains at the dealer, all four mitre joints on the rear panos were weeping water, and there were two small streams coming into the interior, headed for the seam between wall and floor. What happens inside the walls is less visible, of course, and it was doubtlessly happening as well.

This is clearly a design defect, not a maintenance issue....especially, as you say, the instructions from A/S don't mention the problem. I wonder how many folks with this rot issue who blame the rear bumper seal actually had window leaks and didn't know it.

Gee thanks, Airstream, for letting your owners know that there is a persistent problem. What a standup company! A true model of corporate responsibility!
glenamoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Well, get this. I have a 1979 Tradewind. It has been leaking at the back of the trailer where the bumper meets the back of the AIrstream. I have been going nuts trying to figure out where it is coming in. I am going to remove that trim strip this afternoon and check it out. I have even pulled all the taillights and sealed the gaskets with clear silicone just incase it was getting in at the lights and running down the inside of the wall. Also resealed the window on top. I think you are all right. I think it is at the bottom behind the truck. seems like this may have always been an issue with Airtreams. Will pull that off and see. Will post photo of my findings.
txstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Leak at rear of Airstream and trunk

Ok guys, here it is. I just drilled out all the rivots and pulled off the back trim on my 1979 15' TradeWind. Sure enough - big huge gap, no caulking. I cleaned it up and will caulk, wait till that dries and then reinstall the trim. Pict is after I got the trim off. I am sure other people who have AS of all years have this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk leak 2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	109211  
txstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I spent some time at the factory last week, and made the observation that the Flying Clouds on the production line are now getting some type of rubber seal, which runs along the entire area in question (behind the exterior trim). I asked the tour guide if he knew when this improvement was made. He said that they've been doing this "for some time" now.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
That is good to hear, it would be interesting to see what there take is on fixing the problem after all these years. I know I need to tear mine apart and caulk it. I only have a small amount of in one corner (that I have removed). I plan on soaking the repair piece and the remainder in Rot Doctor once our camping slows down for a few weeks, (I have read it stinks for a while). I feel bad for folks that have major repairs due to this. I guess with some of the newer trailers you have the double wammy of problems with leaking panos and the back bumper.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
I imagine that Airstream's position would sound something like this:
"We are ALWAYS improving our products!!"
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:22 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Angry

Well, the trailer has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now and they have repaired leaks front? and rear and have sent several pictures to Airstream. Now Airstream wants the dealer to pull up the linoleum, dry the floor and then bleach the linoleum(stained) and reglue. The dealer isn't so sure about this procedure but will try anyways. I have had my handsfull with work lately so my wife has been in contact with the dealer (she has a more level head than I do anyway) So the questions are: will this repair last without future issues? or would demanding a floor replacement just open up the possibilities for other problems?

legandwillyg is offline   Reply With Quote