Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Ordered 2007 23' Safari SE w/LS

We ordered our new 23' Safari SE LS. The dealer said 6-8 weeks so delivery should be early to mid-January. Thanks to all who answered several questions about GVWR, scisssor jacks, and the bunk bed option. Joyce of Airstream was very helpful and answered several questions about GVWR and dual solar panels.

We will probably camp around 150 days in our camper in 2007. We can't wait.

While we were at the dealer another customer was picking up a Bambi. He was going to tow it with a Jeep Cherokee to the Land rover dealer where he was going to pick up a new Land Rover!

Steve
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Congratulations on your new AS! How exciting. The time will go fast and then you will be wishing for spring! Welcome to forums and you are sure to make lots of new friends!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Congratulations Orange Kid!

Congratulations Steve!
Nice choice… I’m excited... in more ways than one!
Now, please PM me with the details!

Bill
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #4
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Here are the details of our order:

We ordered the 23' Safari SE with the LS upgrade package.

Options include:

-600W inverter (it only works on the plug next to the sofa near the refrigerator.

-Audio upgrade package (no TV)

-L-Lounge in lieu of sofa

-Safari LS Upgrade Package

-Satellite Radio - Use with Audio Upgrade

-Solar Charging System

-Second Solar Panel (cost to be confirmed at $567)

-Special Edition Upgrade

-Equal-i-zer 1000 lb sway control WD hitch

Delivery is estimated at 6-8 weeks. We should have it in mid-January or so. The dealer did not think there would be a $500 modification charge for the additional solar panel.

Steve
Old 11-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Congratulations on your new AS! How exciting. The time will go fast and then you will be wishing for spring! Welcome to forums and you are sure to make lots of new friends!
In this part of the world we can camp year round in comfort. We usually go to Death Valley for two weeks in January. Organ Pipe National Monument or Patagonia State Park, Az are also a great winter camping spots.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandsandi
Why wait for spring, look at the November picture thread for last week at Malibu RV Park.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
29Palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid
In this part of the world we can camp year round in comfort. We usually go to Death Valley for two weeks in January. Organ Pipe National Monument or Patagonia State Park, Az are also a great winter camping spots.
Cool!! If you pick it up in early January, think about going to the 29Palms (CA)forum rally the weekend of January 12-14. Check out the thread in the rally zone-forum rallies...Great people, great fun!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...lms-27497.html
Old 11-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
_

. , .
congrats on the order process orangekid...

did your dealer request a deposit?

waiting is so hard....

check back with them in 2 weeks and get the 'build date' info

someone at the factory can take a picture or 2 during production and email it to ya...

many of us visit the factory regularly and IF you know when it's on the line, a member might be there to check it out for ya...

did your dealer order any more units with yours?

i ask this because IF they have 2 or more coming at the same time, some are towed and some are loaded on flat beds...

in january i'd want a flat bed trailer if at all possible given salt and snow and ice..

last week i saw 2 going west on i10 in az...one behind the truck and one ON the truck...neat.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 PM   #9
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
congrats on the order process orangekid...

did your dealer request a deposit?

2air'
As you can imagine my wife and I are really excited.

We put down a 10% deposit. We really do not know if he is ordering other units, but he did talk about ordering units last week when we first visited. We figure time will pass fast, with the holidays and so on, and before we know it it will arrive in January.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
2 Air,
You have so much good info.! And along with the generous input of some of the other experienced folks in the forums, we've gained so much knowledge that it was an easy decision to spring for an Air sticker.
So to pick your brain yet again:
Our 25' LS SE FB is in production right now, scheduled to come off the line on 11/27. How do I go about finding someone who's visiting the factory who might be willing to check it out for us? I've left a few messages w/JC but they must be busy making sure our Safari is perfect...
And we didn't know the flat bed delivery was an option. We've been fretting about the snow/salt etc. involved in towing to to California at this time of year, but when we asked our dealer about it, he seemed to think we were being a little over-cautious and didn't mention the flat bed possibility. Is it the dealer who arranges the transport?
And happy trails, Orangekid! I think we're all in for a lot of good times with our new toys.
Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi janetb...

thanks for the kind remarks...

the air stickers are cool aren't they?

thank andyr and the folks who spent nearly 2 years working on designs....

and getting these just right...

back to your new 25er...

i always thought new units were just towed to the dealers, all of them.

until another member pointed out that some times and in some situations, some are flatbedded...

then, last week i actually saw this happening on i10 westbound in az...

my understanding is this happens when 2 or more are going to the same dealer on the same day (from the factory) and with the same contract carrier...

i don't think as customers we really have the option of deliver methods...

and it would seem this is only an issue with the shorties...think single axle...

as yours is 25....well i just don't know...

so as a customer, just ask your dealer..."are you expecting 2 or more units in the same delivery? what's the harm in asking nicely....all they can do is say no...

and take it from there.

i don't want to exagerate the issue of exposure and transport, but there have been years and units where road salt has been blamed for faulty tank sensors and other exposed parts failures...

the truth is pulling the unit 1/2 across the usa IS one step in quality control, as many lose or poorly fitted bits are then found by the dealer!

now as for a glimpse while on the line...

call customer support or email directly customer support (as silvergate did) give them your vin # (your dealer should have this or can get it, IF production is under way)

tell them how excited you are, yadda yadda and ask if someone can take a few snap shots for you while it's on the line, and email them to you.

on the forums here there are several threads on factory tours (search factory tours or jackson center or mothership...) so you could start a thread to inquire IF anyone will be in jackson center during given dates...your dates are around t-giving so visitors are at a low point....

again your dealer could do this leg work. they could contact j/c and ask for a few pics during the buiid....

it is so much fun waiting and the trailer is only new once...

on a more serious note here is a key concept to ponder...

yes the order is placed and yes we start thinking in terms of 'our trailer'..

but you absolutely must remain objective about this and some what detached...

the trailer isn't YOURS until you accept it and sign off...

new buyers must carefully inspect the unit, and make a list of all the issues.

little things, big things, poorly finished things, missing things and UNEXPECTED things will be present at delivery.

systems may not work and the dealer may not be able to fix them! doors may be crooked, leaks may be present and so on...

as prospective buyers it's OUR responsibility to be satisfied with the trailer before signing...

once you sign its yours and so are the problems...

until you sign it belongs to the dealer and so 2 the problems/repairs ...

we have many threads here on new owners unhappy justs DAYS after the purchase or who find major problems.

yes you've got a warranty but they doesn't cover the time off, transport or frustration involved in repair work under the warranty.

i've towed mine to jackson center for work twice under warranty about 7 days of repairs total
and that doesn't account for travel time or expense.
my experience is not unique..

there have actually been folks post here who rejected the order and either waited for another trailer or insisted the unit go back for work...

best of luck with the new unit but please remember not to sign until you really are satisfied.

that goes for ALL of us excited about a new soon to 'be' airstream...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
2air,
Thanks for more imparted wisdom! You made an especially good point about the tow to the dealer being a good shake-down (!) cruise. And once it's at the dealer, we do have the convenience of being close enough to really check it out and even return a few times if is all is not as it should be. Our dealer has a good rep. for customer service so we feel comfortable letting him know if we think there are unacceptable glitches.
We're kind of "fine tooth comb" types ourselves, and as eager as we are to make this our own, you've reinforced our decision to stand back and try to remain objective.
"Gunny" is at JC right now, and kindly said he would check it out for us on Mon. I'll also contact customer service and/or dealer as you suggested.
Janet
Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
"Gunny" is at JC right now, and kindly said he would check it out for us on Mon. Janet
of course he is, brilliant!

now offically photos aren't allowed anymore by folks on the tour...but with gunny there and his experience with covert opps....anything IS possible right?

see it is just amazing how THIS community can help each other...

did some one say 'it takes a village to raise an airstream?'

best of luck with your new trailer....

and post pictures!

cheers
2air'

Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Steve,

You should get that guy/gal picking up a NEW Airstream AND a NEW Landrover to buy some Lottery tickets for you. They have to be the luckiest people in the world?!!!

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #15
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
2 Air,

And happy trails, Orangekid! I think we're all in for a lot of good times with our new toys.
Janet
I agree!
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Smile Almost there

Will let you all you helpful folks know the tedious details of our delivery/check-out experience--photos included--hopefully by this time next month.
Enjoy the holidays that will zoom by.
Janet
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM   #17
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi janetb...

call customer support or email directly customer support (as silvergate did) give them your vin # (your dealer should have this or can get it, IF production is under way)

tell them how excited you are, yadda yadda and ask if someone can take a few snap shots for you while it's on the line, and email them to you.
I will try contacting customer service and see if I can get some photos of my unit during production.

We will check out our unit carefully before accepting the unit. Although this is a new Airstream dealer we have been impressed with the staff. We watched then check out a new Airstream and there is a multipage set of things to check before delivery. We will be careful.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 PM   #18
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscinante
Steve,

You should get that guy/gal picking up a NEW Airstream AND a NEW Landrover to buy some Lottery tickets for you. They have to be the luckiest people in the world?!!!
I should have become friends with him.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:34 PM   #19
OrangeKid

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Our dealer called this morning and told us our 23 " Safari SE LS will go into production Jan 5, 2007. He gave us the VIN Number and said Airstream is promising delivery by Feb 15, 2007. He did not know why it took so long from production to delivery. He did say that it usually is 10 days from production to delivery based on his experience (which is limited as he is a new Airstream dealer, first one in Vegas since sometime in the 90s).

We had made reservations, some time ago, at Salton Sea to for 10 days (to go birding) starting February 12. It looks like we will be cutting it close. Also we would like to take out new Safari for a shakedown trip near home before heading out on a big trip.

In any case we are pretty excited as it seems as if it is a reality that we will soon be Airstream owners.