Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Little Rock , Arkansas
Mattress quality

Just got back from a 7-week shakedown cruise in new 2007 Safari 25FB SE/SL, experiencing only very minor problems. (I did break the awning, but that's another story!) After only a few days, my wife and I noticed pronounced "gullies" in the mattress, with a resulting ridge in the middle. Seems like a new mattress should do better at supporting my 220 lbs, and wife's considerably less, weight. When I took the unit to the dealer for awning repair, I mentioned the mattress situation, and was told they'd never had any problem before, there was no better quality upgrade, and this was the mattress furnished with all new Airstreams. They said some people use a foam pad on top for extra comfort. I checked the forum archives, but didn't find anything on this in the past. Are we being too picky, or has anyone else had any problem with the mattress quality?
hirstpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your new trailer.

To help you out, I've provided a few links to existing threads on this topic:

1) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...oam-30793.html
2) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...rts-25414.html
3) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...eas-15791.html
4) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...per-16109.html
5) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...own-14158.html
6) http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/...tyme-7476.html

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Colfax , California
Check out www.NickleAtlantic,com. Had seen modular/interlinking plastic springs in boating mags. Bought at sailboat show in Oakland. Turned cheap A/S matress in our new Bambi into a comfortable bed . . . and, added ventilation. Great product.

Remember, despite all the things that go wrong, A/Ss give us a lot to work with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirstpb
Just got back from a 7-week shakedown cruise in new 2007 Safari 25FB SE/SL, experiencing only very minor problems. (I did break the awning, but that's another story!) After only a few days, my wife and I noticed pronounced "gullies" in the mattress, with a resulting ridge in the middle. Seems like a new mattress should do better at supporting my 220 lbs, and wife's considerably less, weight. When I took the unit to the dealer for awning repair, I mentioned the mattress situation, and was told they'd never had any problem before, there was no better quality upgrade, and this was the mattress furnished with all new Airstreams. They said some people use a foam pad on top for extra comfort. I checked the forum archives, but didn't find anything on this in the past. Are we being too picky, or has anyone else had any problem with the mattress quality?
clintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Flint , Texas
The Safari line comes with a foam mattress and the Classic line comes with upgraded innersprings. Go get a Sleep Number bed. Welcome to the forum!
cowcreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Ditto the Sleep Number Beds

Ditto the Sleep Number Bed. They now make twins for RVers as well as the Queen sizes. Lots of folks like the foam mattresses so check em all out on the links previously provided. Good luck.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 05-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
My '05 Safari came with a foam mattress. I would gradually sink into the mattress overnight leaving an impression in it when I got up. I could have cast a wax replica of myself by using mattess as a mold.

Since I have no need for a replica and the mattress was uncomfortable I took it to a custom mattress factory and had them use it as a template for a new innerspring mattress. They were able to duplicate the two rounded corners. Very worthwhile upgrade!
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
We just purchased a foam mattress for our camper. We have however, already had one for a few years in our home.

If the original poster has a foam mattress, this is what I learned from a salesman. The foam mattresses need to be kept in an environment that is at a normal room temperature, if not they will not respond properly.

Could this be the case?

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I took a close look at mine when I changed the sheets. Mine is compressing. I really have no excuse. I have slept over 300 nights in mine in the last year. Before I even slept on it I put a 2 inch memory foam topper from Camping world. THe bed is still comfortable but I am looking at replacing it in the next few months.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
When I went and looked at Airstreams at the dealer recently, I did not like the mattresses. I thought they seemed a bit cheap.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Airstream expects the average user to sleep on thier mattress 20 nights per year. I have put over 20 year of use on mine. With the topper it is still comfortable. They are definately not high end mattresses.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Mattresses are VERY personal items!

Hello all -

Have found mattresses to be VERY personal items. One person finds 'this' to be great, the other finds 'that' to be as good or better. The personal "Sleep number bed" seems like it might have found the answer - at a PRICE. WAY!!! outta my range....

BTW - Clintn's link has a comma instead of a period before the com - FYI.

For us using SilverToy, the beds DO get use, but not in the range of 300 nights a year...! As such, the OEM AS supplied bedding gets used until I find the 'trough' or similar.... but I am monitoring the threads related to this as it will become something that needs upgrading as things wear out, status changes, or whatever (rich uncle/aunt dies)..... Keep the contri's coming!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good Morning,

We are researching the memory foam for ours.

I'm going out to measure the foam mattresses we have, and we are thinking about 4" to replace them or 2" to put on top of existing ones.

Wal Mart seems to have the best price for the memory foam pads and mattresses. 259.59 for king 4" and the price goes down for thinner ones. We thought about a King size and cutting it in half, or do we need the twin ones? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Marie
Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
We put a 2" memory foam topper on our AS mattress, which is a nice improvement. If you are considering an entire mattress of memory foam, consider that this type foam is very heavy, so 4" or more of memory foam would add considerable weight.
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:33 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I got mine speacial ordered from Mattress Warehouse.. they seem to be good, but we have not used them just yet...
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
We put a 2" memory foam topper on our AS mattress, which is a nice improvement. If you are considering an entire mattress of memory foam, consider that this type foam is very heavy, so 4" or more of memory foam would add considerable weight.
Actually if you read the info on the 4" from WalMart it states 2" memory foam and 2" regular, so it shpuldn't be too awfully heavy.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote