Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Dire Wolf

2007 23' Safari SE
huntington beach , California
GooBeGone

I just picked up my Safari 23 footer last weekend out of Paso Robles, Ca. Four hour drive back to Southern California was smooth sailing. But I pulled off the sticker from the dealer that had originaly sold the camper and now I have Goo on the metal. What would you suggest to use that will not damage the clear coat on the rig? I have only owned 60's models up to this point and I don't want to mess someting up by spraying it with WD 40 or paint thiner.
Any advice to remove the sticky side of the sticker?
mcrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I've used xylene with no ill effect. Mine's a '72, so I don't know if the clear coat is different from yours.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why not use what your thread is titled? There really is something called GooGone, as well as GoofOff.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Another option would be automotive bug and tar remover. Should be paint and clear coat safe. "try an inconspicuous spot"
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would use old fashioned liquid light fluid, which is Naptha that you can get in the paint department at Home Depot. It will break down the glue and get it of without any damage to the clearcoat.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Use Goo-gone or peanut butter

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:35 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 22
victoria , British Columbia
goo

Hi I've posted a pretty extensive writeup on how to remove vinyl glue in the forums somewhere but I can give you a quick rundown on how to remove it.
This works for papery type stickers, duct tape residue, old striping and any other sticky or old used to be sticky but now dried on for eterinity type of adhesive. First you will need to remove the face of the sticky item by applying heat (blowdryer) and carefully with an exacto knife pulling the top layer off. It has to be removed so whichever solvent you use can reach the glue residue. I prefer to spray the solvent on so if you have a sprayer around transfer your solvent into one. Have paper towels on hand then spray the area needing attention. Leave sit for about 30 seconds until the glue looks goopy, if it is looking a little dry in some areas spray again to saturate it. Scrape off with a plastic scraper into the paper towels and repeat in needed. Last spray some onto a clean paper towel and give one final wipe down to be sure you got the reside off so dirt doesn't stick to any glue left behind.

I use Rapid Remover at my sign shop for all my vehicles but any citrus based glue remover will do.

Here's where the long version of how to do it is....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...=rapid+remover
Leya Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
WD-40. Spray some on, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe it off.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Try Goo-Gone or WD-40, let it soak then use lots of clean cloth or paper towels to remove the go. Becareful not to spread it around, change the area on the towel often to keep a clean removal area.
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I contacted the factory to get an answer to this very question last fall. I wanted to remove the dealer sticker, pinstriping and the rear Airstream lettering.

The answer I got from the factory was to use mineral spirits. I did and have had no ill effects.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
Dire Wolf

2007 23' Safari SE
huntington beach , California
Thank you to all. I used the WD 40 , let it soak and the goo came right off. Worked like a charm - thanks for the suggestions, Rick
mcrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #12

Salt Lake City , UT
Removing residue from a sticker on your Airstream (2018 and later)

I reviewed the various options cited --- WD-40, vinegar and water, 3M decal remover (attachment for your drill) --- and decided to try Goo Gone, which I have used previously for sticky jobs.

It worked like a charm. I used small amounts sprayed directly on the affected spot, waited a about two minutes, then wiped with an old t-shirt rag. Repeated until the entire area was clean.

Good luck!
jd-slc is offline   Reply With Quote