Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
generator size and taking delivery

I am picking up my 27 FB LS SE this Friday but am wondering if my Yamaha 2400 inverter genertor is large enough for my 13500 btu airconditioning unit. Any thoughts on sizing of generators?

Also, what should I look for before taking delivery of unit? I would like to be as sure as possible that the unit is solid as the dealer is 90 miles from home.

Thanks in advance
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
I am picking up my 27 FB LS SE this Friday but am wondering if my Yamaha 2400 inverter genertor is large enough for my 13500 btu airconditioning unit. Any thoughts on sizing of generators?

Also, what should I look for before taking delivery of unit? I would like to be as sure as possible that the unit is solid as the dealer is 90 miles from home.

Thanks in advance
An inverter will not run your AC for more than 5 to 10 seconds, if that long.

Starting current for that AC is about 1800 watts.

The Ohm's law formula is W=EI

W= watts
E= voltage
I= current.

Therefore 1800 watts, assuming a 100 percent power factor, at 12 volts DC equals 150 amps. Then if we figure a 75 percent efficiency, then the power consumption will be nearly 200 amps from your battery.

You will need a battery, as big, if not bigger, than the golf cart itself.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont

Thanks in advance
altamont,
That generator is probably going to be too small to start and run your AC unit. There are some units out there with some type of boost system that will get it up and running. If memory serves me they are the Yamaha EF3000ISEB If you use an undersized generator you will shorten the life of it and the AC, if it will start it at all. I personally use 2 Honda 2000 watt hooked in parallel.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
The Yamaha is a generator. It is clean enough for computer use. According to their chart, it is a bit small for a 2500 watt 13,500 home air conditioner but I used it on my 13,500 trailer unit and it worked fine. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this generator on their rigs. The unit I have is the 2400IS

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Thanks for the info on the 3000. I was trying to keep and use the unit I have as it only has about 8 hours on it. The 3000 is a bit heavy to take out of my Suburban. Maybe I will have to go the parallel route after all.

John
Old 01-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Can you parallel your 2400? That is why I went with the Honda's to begin with, they will run everything but the AC so I can get away with just one in a pinch. FWIW I had both of them in Mobile, AL during Katrina and they worked day and night for over a week without a miss. The only time they got shut down was for fueling and oil changes.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Bingo!!!!!!!! When I bought it they didn't have the parallel cables but now do. This will give me MORE than enough power. Thanks for the info.

John
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #8
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I posted elsewhere about how well my 2400iS powered the 15k btu unit in my 2007 Safari -- there are others that posted about this generator, too, so you might search for just the last few months to get recent reports.

My summary: I have the tri-fuel option, and powered up my AC from the Yamaha 2400iS while running off propane with barely a hiccup. I suspect the AC units now come with "soft start capacitors" or somesuch, allowing a very low startup draw. Mine certainly acts that way. I think I read on this forum that the 15k and 13.5k AC units actually have the same compressor, differing only in the fan size, but I could easily be wrong on that count.

When starting my AC, I just make sure it's set to a low speed setting, and turn off as many other electrical devices as possible to ensure a reduced startup load. The runtime load is nowhere near the capacity of the 2400iS, so once it's cranked up I have no qualms. Heck, now that I've done it myself and found that the generator hardly seems to notice, I have no worries about starting the AC this way. Still, next time I get setup I'll have to measure the startup amperages and post my findings, both off the generator and from my 30A house current.

I don't have any great delivery checklist to offer, but slowolf posted one recently (look in 2007 Safari threads?) that others have liked/used. My own delivery didn't go so well, but that's another (long) story I really need to finally post to the forums The up side is that the factory actually did a pretty good job with ours (had it just over two months), so much of the checking is to make sure the dealer prep is done, and done right (IMO).

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Thanks for the updates. I was going to try the AC before buying another 2400is as it worked well for my previous unit. I even had the air on and tried the microwave just to see if anything would blow. Nothing happened except cold air and hot popcorn. Thanks for the insights, all of you.

John
Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
The Honda Honda Generators - Honda's Portable Electric Power Generator Line# is the way to go. Its the Best generator on the market. Will take care of your camper needs and is the quietest on the market. Consumer report raved so much about the Honda they said they wondered why anyone would want anything else. An inverter won't run your A/C inless you carry a battery the size of your pickup bed.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Ok, I have read everything and I am looking at the EU2000i for my 2007 Safari SE. I want to charge batteries, run the lights, and use the T.V. when boondocking. I the think it will be enough, though I need to add all the amps up on the items I am looking at. Can I buy an adapter for my 30 amp service and plug it directly into the generator? I am totally new and learning as fast as I can. Some old timers have talked to me about cheaper generators, but none are as quiet as the Honda or as light. Since I am a little old fart I need light and quiet.
"The Older I Get - The Better I Was..."
safarijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #12
_

. , .
hi jim

yes there are simple 30 amp adapter plugs,

which will allow usage of the 30 amp cord and port...

i use the 2000 and like it, but if weight really IS an issue and

usage doesn't inlcude the microwave or a vacumn or other applicances over 1000 watts...

consider the honda eu1000i

very light and even less noise and fuel and space....

and the 1000 will handle every duty listed with ease.....

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
And the Honda 1000 is about 300 clams cheaper, too. IIRC, they weigh about 35 pounds, versus 49 for the 2000.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
Hmmm, where to begin.....

1997 25' Safari
Wasilla , Alaska
Cummins-Onan make very nice Inverter generators as well. There P3200ie, and P1700i would both work well for this application. They compare very nicely to the Hondas and Yamahas.
FBC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
How do you transport the Honda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi jim

yes there are simple 30 amp adapter plugs,

which will allow usage of the 30 amp cord and port...

i use the 2000 and like it, but if weight really IS an issue and

usage doesn't inlcude the microwave or a vacumn or other applicances over 1000 watts...

consider the honda eu1000i

very light and even less noise and fuel and space....

and the 1000 will handle every duty listed with ease.....

cheers
2air'

Do you put the Honda in a "plastic" tub? I have been looking at rubbermaid and wondering if the 25 gallon will fit it?

Many thanks,

Irish.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThreeSeas
Do you put the Honda in a "plastic" tub? I have been looking at rubbermaid and wondering if the 25 gallon will fit it?Many thanks, Irish.
hi irish,

i do carry the 2000 in a rubbermaid duratote? model tub.

it has a simple hinged lid and contains all odors very well...

the weber grill (which smells too) goes in an identical tub...

seems they are 22 or 25 gallon sized...

and look like this one only solid blue in color,

the slightly domed lid allows using a smaller tub...

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
2 air -- looks great.

2 air,

Looks great! Do you place them in your tow vehicle or in the AS?
Never thought of the Weber Q but you are correct I will get two.
Do you get any "gas fumes"? When I brought the AS and trailer home I had the generator in the tow vehicle and had to have the window open the whole ride.
Thanks,

Irish.
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arroyo Grande , California
One suggestion that might be less expensive, is to consider changing out the AC for an 11,000 BTU system (which your 2400 generator will probably handle). The ACs are about half the price of the gensets and you don't need to carry/run two of them! We have a 20' Safari and I want to use my (one) Honda 2000, so I'm considering a smaller AC. Easy swap out, I don't need a refrigerator, and it looks like a lot less $. I'm not in love with modifying my Airstream - but I can always put back on the original AC. Thoughts?
Roger S
Roger S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #19
_

. , .
hi irish...

i've left these in the trailer without odor issues, but usually carry them in the tv...
the truck bed/camper shell isn't as air tight as your suv but again i've not had fumes.

it would be simple enough to put the genset in a heavy plastic bag first and then into the tub...

all the more fume protection...

the weber i'm now carrying is a smokey joe charcoal cooker...

it's smaller than the baby q and takes much less space...

when i do carry the baby q it goes in a larger rubbermaid....

45 gallon size, i think. the handles, lid and legs take more space than first appears...

there is a carry case made specifically for the baby q...

nylon, padded and zippered, it's pretty neat for about 30$...

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Excellent

Air,
Thanks for the help it's great!

Irish.