Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Talking First trip out!!!!!!

We picked up our 27 FB SE LS on the 12th from Toscana in Los Banos. These guys really knew their stuff r/e AS's. I was very happy with the price and the way we were treated by Dave Morse.

We took her out for the maiden voyage this last weekend and couldn't imagine having a nicer rig.

Some issues: Leak under shower floor, could be drain or plumbing of faucet. Small leak from petcock under tanks. Some residue from manufacturing I think so I might try a fix on my own. The cabinets seem to be mismatched and I will contact AS factory to talk about that. I thought there was a dent in the side but it turns out that the buckling is normal. I checked today and it is gone.

Easier to tow than my ultralite. We were in heavy side winds and I didn't even notice. Eaz Lift system works very well.

We had Toscana attach a 110 amp solar panel and it works very well. Less expensive than factory unit and more power.

In short, we are enamored with this unit. Instead of European travel, we will stay in the USA with people that like us.

John
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
I have the same leak. Looks like it originates under the shower pan but believe it is actually at one or more of the mounting screws, door mounting hardware, etc. Haven't had the time to run it down yet.

Congrats on the new rig. We travel overseas also but the AS really makes us want to travel here more.

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
John,
Congrats on your maiden voyage!
Question re: the leak under the shower floor. How do you know it is under the shower floor. Do you mean there is water on the floor in front of the shower after you exit? If that is the case, it is common. Several fixes...put a dab (glob) of silicone at the end of the door 'trough' to keep water from slinging out on the floor. I had to add additional silicone on the hinge side, because a small hole wasn't caulked properly at the factory and it leaked out that side. Minor fixes, but they cured my 'water on the floor' problem. If you are sure the leak is from under the shower, best take it back to the dealer.
Welcome to the forum and, again, congrats.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Congrats on your new trailer and welcome to the Forums!

Beware of an Airstream disease called Itchey Feet. Symptons are a desire to hook up your trailer and go traveling and camping at every chance.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
The water is seeping out of the crack where the shower frame meets the floor. It is not coming from the door unless there is a leak in the tub somewhere. I think your advice is well taken and I will just return it to the dealer.

My wife and I both have acute cases of "Itchy Feet". The only real cure is to quit the job and take off. Not able to do that so weekends for awhile until 3 weeks in the Canadian Rockies then Glacier and Yellowstone this June.

John
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and Congrats!

Welcome from Silicon Valley and congrats on new trailer. Dave and Ron (Service Mgr) at Toscano are good...

Shower leak probably best returned to Toscano, though you may find they put bead of silicon where you would have. At least you have recourse if it fails... Possible to stay there overnight or at K-Mart down street if you want to schedule 7:30AM service appt, and get it done while you wait...

Good luck on plans for Glacier and Yellowstone and Canadian Rockies. We made that trip in our 25' Excella in 2004, and had a blast. Let us know if you'd like travel tips or sugestions. We went up I-5 to Portland, up Columbia to Spokane and through Coer d' Alene and Idaho panhandle into Canada, then over Rockies to Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff. Came down east side into Montana and Glacier, then headed east past Yellowstone on way to Oshkosh for Air Show...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
more than one shower leak...?

Congrats on the shakedown!

RE: shower leak:
Good suggestions so far, but if you want to just fix it, you can (I did so anyone can!).

I think your Safari has the flexible spring-loaded shower door that I have, too. If so, with the shower door in the open position, look at the inside caulk line running along the door "track" at the bottom. If you follow it to the open door, you'll find a gap about 1.5" directly below the bit of shower door that doesn't retract into its opening. I guess the factory folks don't close the door so they can "finish" the seal...so just close the door and finish it yourself

I also found a tiny gap in the caulking at the bottom corner where the door closes, at the end of the door track.

ANOTHER shower leak I found is the point where the flexible shower hose enters the side wall. The seal didn't seat flat against the wall, leaving > 1/8" gap -- a bad place for water to run down the hose and sneak behind the shower wall itself! If that's the case, it really should be seated properly, maybe caulked, too. Getting it to seat flat might be a challenge. If that's your case, I'd be most interested in how the dealer actually gets it tightened down. The goofy tech working on my just gobbed a load of clear silicone all over the area (making a mess!) without even trying to seat the seal that's already there. I know your dealer would do it right...

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
JD,

I checked out the possible gaps you mentioned and they all seem up to snuff. I guess I lucked out on the shower door installer but the plumber was having an off day.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
JD,

I checked out the possible gaps you mentioned and they all seem up to snuff. I guess I lucked out on the shower door installer but the plumber was having an off day.
*rats*.
Still, nice SE, and when you get these things worked out: bliss!

Please let us know how the fix is accomplished, if you can.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
My question / comment is: the veneered plywood half-wall that is on my 2007 19 foot Safari SE Bambi (I'm talking about the wall that the shower sprayer and the flexible door attach to), seems to be a set up for rot and leaks. Why doesn't AS make this out of fiberglass, and does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrofit or modify this installation to prevent the inevitable? I have thought of caulking all the seams, including the small gaps where the veneer meets up. But I don't know what else to do? Maybe have a sheet metal shop cut out and form an overlay? Create one out of fiberglass?
longdog is offline   Reply With Quote