Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Fantastic fan

Does anybodyknow if I can install another Fantastic Fan in the bedroom of my 27 FB SE LS without a lot of hassle? In short, is it prewired for power from the factory?

John

altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Dealer should know...

Dealer should be able to answer that one, when addressing shower leak...

If not, another way to tell is check whether second fan was available as an option when trailer was built. If so, the wiring harness ought to be there.

As great as Fantastic Fans are, installs on Airstreams can be challenging (local Camping World sold us the fans, refused to do installs...) due to rounded surface and higher potential for leaks. If you do it, do follow up with Fantastic Fan company and get the curved inner plastic bezel (white or ivory color) which they'll often provide at no charge...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
We just ordered a 27 FB SE LS Safari with the second Fantastic Fan for April delivery. Although it is not listed on their mid-November option sheet (direct from customer service at AS) it is available as a factory installed option for about $250 so I assume the wiring would be there.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Does anybodyknow if I can install another Fantastic Fan in the bedroom of my 27 FB SE LS without a lot of hassle? In short, is it prewired for power from the factory?

John
I installed a FF in the front of my 2006 Safari and the wires were there. Pull the trim ring and feel all the way around the opening (on top of and underneath the insulation). Be careful of sharp edges!!! If the wire is there, the install won't take more than an hour including removing the old vent. If the wire isn't there, you should be able to tap a close ceiling light if a rib isn't in the way.

Good luck

Greg
Roadtoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had ordered ours with two and love it...you won't regret it.

As for it being pre-wired. I believe they use the wire from the light fixture near the roof vent. So, yes, it can be added.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have seen Fantastic Fans but don't know much about them. What's all the hubbub, bubb? What do people like about them? My 73 Sovereign and 71 Trade Wind have the original vents. No fans on the 73 but AC works.
Lumatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:

John

John - You bet you can! We did it to our 22' Safari. In fact we installed a reversable unit so we have the option of the fan blowing out or in. In addition I installed a MaxiAir Vent Hood over it. So no matter the weather we can run the fan. It is also very good for leaving the vent open when traveling. All the wires are already there in place.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:

John
I just put one in our 73 Overlander, check it out

Power_Vent
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
2nd Fantastic Vent in your TT

John -

Got a 2nd Fantastic Vent for SilverToy at Christmas. Naturally, the flat surround provided won't work exactly with the curved AS ceiling... called FV... they sent the correct piece for NO charge!!! It's going in as soon as Mother Nature calls of the constant snowfall here in the SW!!!

Use that "search" function in the upper right, plug in Fantastic Fan or Fantastic Vent, and there is LOTS including at least one install assist with loads of photos.... Can't go wrong!

Since you are, correctly, going with the FV - go all out and get the reversable/ rain sensor model. You can leave it open with NO worry whatever about moisture ( sudden shower, etc) getting into the trailer. With a front AND rear FV, one on IN and one on OUT - you'll have plenty of ventilation and air movement. You can even leave it open during transit!!! FV says so on the website!!

All the benefits, NO drawbacks! It doesn't get much better in today's world.

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
You guys are AWESOME!! Thanks.

John
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I have seen Fantastic Fans but don't know much about them. What's all the hubbub, bubb? What do people like about them? My 73 Sovereign and 71 Trade Wind have the original vents. No fans on the 73 but AC works.
A number of us boondock. Unless you have a genset or shore power, no A/C, but the fans can work on standard 12v. I can get a wind tunnel in our Airstream with both on high.

Additionally, the company is legendary when it comes to customer service, even after many years of ownership, they stand behind it and more times than not, don't charge for the support or replacement part(s).
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
They are a thermostat controlled fan with 3 speeds. They raise the cover either by 12 volt motor, or manually. They have an optional rain sensor so they close automatically if they sense rain. (Or other moisture like fog - this can be the down-side to the rain sensor)

The motors are reversable by switch so you can make them push air in, or out.

As mentioned, support is unsurpassed in my experience.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Clarification!

All -

Dave, Thanks for the clarification on the FV features. I should have been more clear. You did it for me... for that, I thank You!

Anyone that opts for the "Ultimate" FV will, in very short order, realize that they invested in the "Ultimate, Unsurpassed, Utilitairian" wonder, - in short, the BEST!!! 2 FV's is even better!

Un-Surpassed!!!! Fit's FV to a tee. Product, Customer Service, support over the long term, fits that curved ceiling with the adapter....

Try it, You'll LOVE it!!!!

Axel
SilverToy

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote