Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2007 Safari SE
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to mikenicholso Send a message via Yahoo to mikenicholso Send a message via Skype™ to mikenicholso
Entry door needs shimmed

I've searched and can't find it, so I'll risk posting a new thread.

I have a 2007 23' Safari SE. The entry door is not exactly matching up with the catch post and as a result the door must be slammed pretty hard to close completely. It appears the door is low by 1/8 of an inch or there about.

For the life of me I can not figure out how to rectify this issue. Any insight would be most welcome.

Thanks
Mike Nicholson
Alpharetta, GA
mikenicholso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenicholso View Post
I've searched and can't find it, so I'll risk posting a new thread.

I have a 2007 23' Safari SE. The entry door is not exactly matching up with the catch post and as a result the door must be slammed pretty hard to close completely. It appears the door is low by 1/8 of an inch or there about.

For the life of me I can not figure out how to rectify this issue. Any insight would be most welcome.

Thanks
Mike Nicholson
Alpharetta, GA
Mike.

The easiest test is apply some silicone spray the the striker pocket and the striker bolt.

If that doesn't help, then make another post and I will tell you how to make an adjustment from there.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I agree with Andy. See posts 5 & 8 at http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ock-59841.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I would make sure your door hinges are tight and that the stabilizers are not affecting the fit of the door.
If those two items are okay and you have lubed the pocket,you can adjust the striker bolt.
You will need to drill out pop rivet below bolt then turn the hex head at the end of bolt to loosen slightly. Take hammer and tap lightly in direction you believe striker bolt should go. shut door. if this helps tighten bolt and drill out hole and re-install pop rivet. The rivet keeps backer plate from falling off the back side if bolt is completely removed.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
In my case, the door was hanging lower than it's supposed to be (= you want to raise the deadbolt).

I simply shimmed by inserting a couple of thin nylon washers from Lowes/Home Depot. You make a slit to the washer and snap it in while you lift the door with your foot. It takes only a few minutes, easy.

Now, my door closes behind me by itself.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to mikenicholso Send a message via Yahoo to mikenicholso Send a message via Skype™ to mikenicholso
Andy - Good suggestion and I have tried lubrication to no avail.

Clipper - Now that you mention it, the stabilizer do make it much worse. Too tight I guess. But it seems like they need to be that snug to stabilize the trailer.

Astroboy - where exactly did you place the washers?

Thanks all
Old 01-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I recall a time when I had slightly "twisted the frame" on setup. Evidently I had too much weight being carried by the stabilizers while not having the unit level front to back and side to side. The door would not close properly. I searched high and low looking for an answer thinking it was a door alignment issue only to discover that by checking the level and releasing some of the weight from the stabilizers the solution was corrected. I now often check the door as a measure of the correct position of the trailer.
rtaylor537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenicholso View Post
Andy - Good suggestion and I have tried lubrication to no avail.

Clipper - Now that you mention it, the stabilizer do make it much worse. Too tight I guess. But it seems like they need to be that snug to stabilize the trailer.

Astroboy - where exactly did you place the washers?

Thanks all
Modifying the location of the lock in the door, is looking for trouble.

Adding washers within the hinges, is again, asking for trouble.

You can easily, move the striker pocket to solve the issue.

The stabilizing jacks, are exactly that. They should never be used to "lift", as that will cause them to break, or bend.

Cinching them firmly, to stop the shell from moving as you walk thru the coach, is all that they are designed to do.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Airstream1661

2007 23' Safari SE
Johns Creek , Georgia
I wanted to close out this thread and thank everyone who saved me from doing something stupid. The problem was the kids had the outriggers/stabilizers too tight, which was twisting the frame just enough to cause the misalignment in the door catch. Thanks again all.

Tags
door, entry, fit, misaligned, shim