Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
OrangeKid
 
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 166
Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) of 23' Safari SE LS

We are very inerested in ordering a 23' Safari SE LS. The layout is perfect for us. We are a retired couple and plan to to a lot of dry camping around the country.

After studying the specfications we are very concerned that the model we want will have inadequate cargo carrying capacity (CCC).

Here are the stats from dealer order sheet:

23' Safari 2007 4461 LBS

Audio Upgrade Package: 25 LBS
L-Lounge in lieu of sofa: 1 lbs
Safari LS upgrade package: 118 LBS
Satellite radio use w/audio upgrade: 7 lbs
Solar Charging System: 12 lbs
Second solar panel: ~10 lbs
Special Edition Upgrade 23' Safari; 96 LBS
Upper bunk use with Special edition: 21 lbs

GVWR of 23' Safari: 5600 lbs
(Base dry weight of 23' Safari: 4461 lbs + weight of options: 290 lbs = UVW)
Minus UVW of 23' Safari with options: 4751 lbs
Minus Fresh water 36 gal at 8.3 lb/gal: 300
Minus Propane 10 Gal at 4.2 lbs/gal: 40 lbs

CCC = 509 lbs

We feel that a cargo carrying capacity of only 509 lbs is inadequate for a trailer of this size. Even though the axles are rated to cary 6000 lbs the GVWR is only 5600 lbs. The stats on line in in the brochure show a GVWR of 6000 lbs, however the sticker on the trailer shows the 5600 lb figure.

Can anyone explain the difference from the 6000 lb rating of the axles and the 5600 lb GVWR. The dealer claims that the sticker on the trailer is incorrect and should read 6000 lbs for GVWR. However I checked two other Safari SE LS on line and both had a GVWR of 5600 lbs. I asked if heavier duty axles could be installed at the factory and was told it was tried in the past and it caused vibration in the trailer and is not allowed any more.

We really would like to order this Safari but we need to be able to carry more weight. Does any one have any suggestions how to proceed. A 25' Safari has a CCC of ~ 1400 lbs but the tongue weight and GVWR exceeds the limits of our tow vehicle, a 2006 Sequoia 4X4 V8.

Steve
__________________

OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,950
Images: 3
I think he's right

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid
... Even though the axles are rated to cary 6000 lbs the GVWR is only 5600 lbs. The stats on line in in the brochure show a GVWR of 6000 lbs, however the sticker on the trailer shows the 5600 lb figure.

Can anyone explain the difference from the 6000 lb rating of the axles and the 5600 lb GVWR. The dealer claims that the sticker on the trailer is incorrect and should read 6000 lbs for GVWR...
I will side with your dealer in that the sticker is wrong.

Having researched this issue in the past, I am comfortable in stating that the GVWR for a given towed load is a combination of the axle's load carrying capability, and the load towing capability of the tow vehicle. In other words, if your axles are rated to carry 6000 pounds, and your tow vehicle & hitch are rated to tow the same, then the GVWR of your Airstream is 6000 pounds.

Tom
__________________

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Antique Pedaler's Avatar
 
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 776
Images: 11
Blog Entries: 1
Anything I see obout ours, the GVWR is 6,000 lbs.
__________________
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, 2018 Toyota Highlander
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,950
Images: 3
Oh, and I forgot to mention that my Overlander's owner's manual stated that I had 2700 pound [each] axles whereas the welded-on axle tags each stated 2800 pounds.

You might be trying to dig out from a production year change.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
OrangeKid
 
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 166
TomW the sticker may be wrong. I hope that is true, but the online stats I just checked on the Airstream site show a GVWR of 5600 LBS. See http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...fari_spec.html.

However the on the model I saw the axles were clearly rated at 6000 LBS. But the sticker is the legal statement of the tailers weight carrying capacity, I believe. Please see attached photo of sticker.

Antique Pedaler is the the 6000 GVWR on the sticker pasted inside your trailer?

Attached is the sticker from the 2007 23' Safari SE LS I saw at my local dealer. It clearly states a GVWR of 5600 lbs.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1040630.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	28536  
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,950
Images: 3
The ultimate, bottom line is that a trailer's GVWR, by what I have read is by DEFINITION, based on the axle's load carrying capability, and the corresponding tow vehicle's ability to move the mass.

Assuming an adequate tow vehicle, it does not matter what ANY stickers say EXCEPT for the permanent tags affixed to the axles.

Tom (aka another voice on the Internet)
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
Antique Pedaler's Avatar
 
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 776
Images: 11
Blog Entries: 1
The trailer is in a shed several miles from here, so I can't double check. I just recall the GVWR when I bought it. The brochure specs I have as well as the AS web specs do list it as 5600. But then they list the 22 also as 5600. Both sources are suspect because the rest of the weight related specs are listed as "TBD". If you're still concerned, call AS customer service.
__________________
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, 2018 Toyota Highlander
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
OrangeKid
 
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
The ultimate, bottom line is that a trailer's GVWR, by what I have read is by DEFINITION, based on the axle's load carrying capability, and the corresponding tow vehicle's ability to move the mass.

Assuming an adequate tow vehicle, it does not matter what ANY stickers say EXCEPT for the permanent tags affixed to the axles.

Tom (aka another voice on the Internet)
TomW:

What you say makes perfect sense. The Safari I saw had a pair of axles rated at 6000 LBS and my tow vehicle will tow it so I should be good to go. A GVWR of 6000 lbs will give us enough cargo carrying capacity for our needs of over 900 LBS with the fresh water tank full. But I wish the "legal" label reflected this fact. I would not want to face some legal liability because we "overloaded" our Safari.

Steve
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
OrangeKid
 
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
The trailer is in a shed several miles from here, so I can't double check. I just recall the GVWR when I bought it. The brochure specs I have as well as the AS web specs do list it as 5600. But then they list the 22 also as 5600. Both sources are suspect because the rest of the weight related specs are listed as "TBD". If you're still concerned, call AS customer service.
Antique Pedaler:

Calling AS customer service is a good idea. I will try to reach them tomorrow. Offhand do you know their number?

Steve
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Antique Pedaler's Avatar
 
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 776
Images: 11
Blog Entries: 1
Yup. Call 877/596-6111
Extension 7411
__________________
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, 2018 Toyota Highlander
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,950
Images: 3
I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
..If you're still concerned, call AS customer service.
I have just left Antique Pedaler POSITIVE karma with the comment, "I disagree, but it sounds good in a perfect world."

Airstream's customer service, in my opinion, does not know what axles you have. I feel the ultimate resolution to this load carrying issue is to nail down exactly what constitues the GVWR of a trailer.

I would welcome hearing a definition different from the one I am comfortable with.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
OrangeKid
 
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler
Yup. Call 877/596-6111
Extension 7411

Thanks!
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #13
OrangeKid
 
2013 23' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
I have just left Antique Pedaler POSITIVE karma with the comment, "I disagree, but it sounds good in a perfect world."

Airstream's customer service, in my opinion, does not know what axles you have. I feel the ultimate resolution to this load carrying issue is to nail down exactly what constitues the GVWR of a trailer.

I would welcome hearing a definition different from the one I am comfortable with.

Tom
I am going to try customer service and see how they respond. Although customer service may not know what axles are on a particular trailer, the sticker created during the manufacturing process should reflect the actual equipment installed on the trailerand should accurately portray the GVWR of the trailer.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Contributing Member
 
Pahaska's Avatar
 
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,446
Images: 3
Quote:
The ultimate, bottom line is that a trailer's GVWR, by what I have read is by DEFINITION, based on the axle's load carrying capability, and the corresponding tow vehicle's ability to move the mass.
Not so. The GVWR is whatever the manufacturer rates the trailer. In many cases, the GVWR is actually higher than the axle rating (as it was in my 2003 22 International) since the tongue carries some of the weight of the trailer. In this case, the GVWR is lower, so I would look for a reason other than axle rating. I think that the reason in this case is frame streanth, and here's why.

The 23 is physically the same trailer as the 22' models, but with a different interior layout. The 22'/23' frame is not terribly stout; my 2003 had a recall in which they welded frame reinforcements right behind the axle because the frame was cracking at that point because of the weight of the rear bath and tank. At the time, I noted that the frame ws not terribly deep, nor was it of very thick material. I have a strong feeling that Airstream is stretching things to the limit to get to the 5600# rating.
__________________

__________________
John W. Irwin
2014.5 Touring Coach, "Sabre-Dog IV"
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safari VS. Classic Questions kkrogh Our Community 24 12-20-2005 11:10 AM
Purchase of 73 safari april Our Community 11 09-01-2002 01:33 PM
Towing my 1964 Safari - what tow vehicle do I use Neenm Tow Vehicles 6 06-28-2002 04:26 PM
Problem with electrical system (1965 safari) rslaymaker Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 4 06-13-2002 05:49 PM
Where do you suppose they put the antenna jack -'73 safari ? Chuck 1969 - 1973 Safari 14 06-13-2002 11:34 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.