Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #1

2007 25' International CCD FB
LEESBURG , Virginia
Unhappy 2007 ccd 25' fb a/c problems

I purchased a NEW 2007 25FB in May 2008. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good test of the A/C when I picked it up in Columbus, Ohio because it was a cold, blustery day.

On our first trip (June), we found the A/C to be excessively noisy & didn't cool well (even under moderate outside temps). 2nd trip the next month was the same ... A/C so noisy it was uncomfortable.

On Aug 18th, went to Jackson Center for resolution of warranty issues. They did a great job on the stereo & other items on our list ... however, after two attempts at "repairs" on the A/C we still suffer from excessive noise & vibration. On Aug 18th, they replaced the "squirrel cage" fan and cut some of the aluminum from the air return which did help it cool a little better ... but the noise level was still terrible.

They contacted Dometic and received additional parts which were replaced on Aug 21st ... results: still excessively noisy and doesn't cool well AND now the 3-speed fan seems to only have one speed - HIGH. Too noisy to use at all unless we are cooling while away from the trailer. The shop supervisor came to the trailer to check it out. HE SAID EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL and REFUSED TO GO BACK TO DOMETIC FOR ANYTHING FURTHER.

My questions:

Does anyone have similar problems or issues with International trailers?

Does the aluminum interior have any effect on the noise level?

Are the Dometic A/C units all so noisy?

Thanks,

Phil
philkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Phil,

I install or replace several dozen roof units each year. Some are more 'noisey' than others. Without doing an accurate decibel sound level test, it's almost impossible to quantify what sound level qualifies as 'noisey.

The 11K BTU in my 19CCD is loud. Dometic units in most Airstreams are also 'loud' as they are in close proximity to the interior and resonate thru aluminum......unlike SOBs that are insulated by fiberglass roofing.

Also, direct vent lower units like Airstream uses transmit more noise thru the vents that do ducted units. I have seen units improperly installed, or that have unbalanced, damaged or rubbing blower fans, but the basic components of these units have been relatively quiet. The blower motor is very quiet, and the compressors make some noise...but more vibration.

I can't pinpoint the sound source without actually hearing the unit and expecting it......but you should listen to other units in similar Airstreams to see if yours is excessively loud.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:36 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
They do have some level of noise and without knowing the BTU size, it would be hard to say if it's cooling correctly or not. I say that because if you have a 11k unit, there is no question that would be too small of a unit for a 25 footer, even though it's the base model in some units. You most likely have a 13.5k or a 15k. If your unit has lots of gaps (and they do, you just need to find them), the 13.5k will work hard to cool and if you have the electronic controls as I do, if you set the fan to auto, it will run on high if the interior temps call for better cooling. jcanavera had a 27' Safari that had lots of gaps and his 13.5k unit could barely keep up. I sealed most of the gaps I found in my unit, added some missing window weatherstripping and you can hang meat in my Safari (though you could even with the gaps). I opted for the 15k BTU unit.

You can check the discharge temp of the air coming out of the unit with a thermometer. It should be significantly less than 60 degree air coming out. I would guess low to mid 50 degree air or even colder.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Actually, the performance spec that we use is a 20* (+/-) differential between the intake air and the discharge air measured at the bottom of the unit.

If the ambient temps (intake air) is 90*, then the discharge air should be in the range of 72*-68*............

As the interior air gets colder, so will the discharge air....
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:23 AM   #5

2007 25' International CCD FB
LEESBURG , Virginia
Thumbs up Unhappy 2007 ccd 25 fb a/c problems - MORE DATA

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkent View Post
I purchased a NEW 2007 25FB in May 2008. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good test of the A/C when I picked it up in Columbus, Ohio because it was a cold, blustery day.

On our first trip (June), we found the A/C to be excessively noisy & didn't cool well (even under moderate outside temps). 2nd trip the next month was the same ... A/C so noisy it was uncomfortable.

On Aug 18th, went to Jackson Center for resolution of warranty issues. They did a great job on the stereo & other items on our list ... however, after two attempts at "repairs" on the A/C we still suffer from excessive noise & vibration. On Aug 18th, they replaced the "squirrel cage" fan and cut some of the aluminum from the air return which did help it cool a little better (THE SERVICE TECHNICIANS SAID THEY COULD FEEL THE VIBRATION THROUGH THEIR FEET WHEN THEY WERE ON THE ROOF -- THE ORIGINAL SQUIRREL CAGE FAN WAS VISIBLY WOBBLING) ... but the noise level was still terrible AFTER THE REPAIR.

They contacted Dometic and received additional parts which were replaced on Aug 21st (SINCE I WAS WITH THE TECHNICIAN WHEN HE UNPACKED THE BOX FROM DOMETIC, I BELIEVE THE ONLY PART FROM DOMETIC WAS A PLASTIC VERSION OF THE SQUIRREL CAGE FAN)... results: still excessively noisy and doesn't cool well AND now the 3-speed fan seems to only have one speed - HIGH. Too noisy to use at all unless we are cooling while away from the trailer. The shop supervisor came to the trailer to check it out. HE SAID EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL and REFUSED TO GO BACK TO DOMETIC FOR ANYTHING FURTHER.

My questions:

Does anyone have similar problems or issues with International trailers?

Does the aluminum interior have any effect on the noise level?

Are the Dometic A/C units all so noisy?

Thanks,

Phil
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Guess I should have provided a few more specifics in my first post.

The A/C is a DuoTherm 600 Series Penguin; -- Model #: 600315.331; -- BTU rating: 13,500; -- Non-ducted Manual Thermostat; -- Air Distribution Box: Part # 3105457. -- No electronic controls. I HAVE ALSO ADDED SOME CLARIFYING TEXT IN MY ORIGINAL POST ABOVE.

MY THANKS TO "LEWSTER" & "SILVERTWINKIE" FOR THE QUICK COMMENTS!!! THEY ARE VERY HELPFUL.

Sincerely,

Phil
philkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Trust what Lew has put out there. 20 degrees cooler than the air the unit is taking in to cool. If it is not doing this, it is clearly a malfunctioning unit. I am pretty sure the factory tested this when you brought it in for service, but anything is possible.

I would make sure the main entry door has a good seal. So many don't. as I said earlier, jacanavera had a 27' Safari with a 13.5k unit and until he closed some of the gaps, I seem to recall it too had a rough time cooling the unit even though the A/C was working properly.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The luxury of camping in the north woods had led to minimal use of the AC until a trip to Kentucky in June. Now that was hot and humid enough to warrant putting the AC on at night. One can't help but be within a couple arm spans of the AC in a narrow trailer without sound absorbing wall treatments -- it's just about got to be noisy. The noise allowed more comfortable sleeping than the heat & humidity (and tree frogs) would have. We have earplugs for this and any of several other contingencies. But I'd still rather use LP and the furnace in cool weather than turn on the heat strip noise overhead.

Night trips/water pump use rarely coincided with the AC being on -- so I can't report on whether the AC masked the water pump noise. Guess we're more used to that anyway.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is a great point, I don't have the alum exposed interior. The cloth covered walls do absorb some of the sound.

Also, at least my A/C unit does block out most of the water pump noise when in both are in operation.

Tags
2007 international