Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Take three, or third time is the charm....

Well I have purchased my third Airstream, a 1968 Overlander.
This was a project trailer started by a forum member that did not work out for him.
I decided that this was the a better way to solve my smushed end cap issues. This should be (in theory) easier than splicing two trailer sections together.
The whole floor needs to be replaced, a couple of windows, seals everywhere and axles. Still overall I would have to do all of this work and still splice.....

I have ordered a piece of flat glass for the back window and a temporary plastic one for the missing side window. The current goal is to get the shell weather tight before putting in the new wood floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00166.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	63646  
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanx for the picture. I like it; it's very nice looking. It just screams out vintage.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congrats Tedd! This sounds like a fair project. We'd still want to see the design drawings for the InterLander or OverNational project. Why do I think of 2- and 3-room tents I've seen? Might be an unconventional tow ...

'Getting out' is the key. Good to meet you at Moraine View!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I think you did good

Tedd,

Congratulations on the new Airstream! How did you manage to retrieve it without Kevin and me?

As always, let me know if I can help.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Thank you to all. I recruited a local friend. It took a little longer, but we managed.

Today a new "Astradome-Later" was ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply. Glass for the back window should be ready tomorrow.
I just finished overhauling the curb side bedroom window. Reworked the window catches and new gasket. One down, six to go......

I think I maybe able to pull the bar off of the type two 39" curved window I have. I just need to dissolve the silicone goop that holds it in. This would save me a lot of cash!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have started looking at floor covering. WOW it vinyl flooring spensive.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 07-16-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Made more progress today. Thanks to a new friend on the east coast, I was able to remove the bar from the 39" window..... It is now installed. Rebuilt one of the window closers. The other one will have to be replaced.
I am so glad I have been hoarding all of those parts from the first two trailers. I am in need of a lot of the window hardware. It looks like my stash should have enough.

From what I have been seeing, it looks like the metal edging on the '68 corning windows is more cosmetic than structural. The edging has to be around .020 thick. I can bend it with a finger nail. Also, it is multiple sections per window. The rear window has 6 sections. Any thoughts.....?
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
You have a couple more to go to catch me

Congrats...Now what will you do with the ambassalander ratstream? And the ambassador in your garage?

Steve
Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
The ratstream and the parts will be recycled. I know that the parts can be used here and there.

I picked up the back window today. WOW I have glass all the way around. So when does the planet explode???

I have a what's it.....
There is a 1" hole just below the license plate light. It appears to have screening remnants in it. I am assuming that it was a vent for the battery. Any thoughts?
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
My 68 Safari had a plastic tube in that hole...maybe a drain tube?

When's it coming down to visit???????

Steve
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
snip
I have a what's it.....
There is a 1" hole just below the license plate light. It appears to have screening remnants in it. I am assuming that it was a vent for the battery. Any thoughts?
Your original set up would have been two open metal frames for the battery hold down. They contained plastic trays - top and bottom. The top tray had a hole that a plastic tube went into that soldermedic mentioned - it vented battery gases out the 1" screened hole. Congrats on the new project....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Gary,
Thanks that is what I thought.

Took a little time off this weekend. Friday I converted the kitchen skylight to duck tape. Than took Saturday off.
Got home around 6 in the evening Sunday and started to mess with the door. I was able to cluge together a setup that lets me open the door from the outside. No more climbing through the water heater opening. YEA!!!!
Then back to the windows..... Rebuilt the three keeper for the back window with help from the wife (Lori). Also was able to get most of the old gasket scraped and cleaned off. If the weather holds I should be able to get the new gasket in to night.

Lori has really taken an interest in this project. I do not think I am in charge any more. Oh well, it is for the better, she is more organized than me.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Sorry for the delay. Things kind of went crazy around here in late July. The wife was down for 8 weeks with some mystery illness. Doctors never did figure out what it was. She is at 100% these days. Thank God!

The skylight arrived from Vintage Trailer Supply (VTS) and went in. Man is that a major improvement. VTS really has hit it spot on with there reproduction skylight!

The rear window is rebuilt and waiting for the trim edging, I will be ordering it from VTS along with the sewer pipe vent covers if the checkbook recovers from the doctors office! Santa has left hints of a small bail out from my and the wife's folks. So hopefully the work will be back on track by early spring.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy and shiny New Year!!!!

I am hoping to renew my membership to the WBCCI after the first of the year too!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hi Tedd,

I must have missed your original posts. Congratulations, that is a good looking trailer. Are you going to take the shell off to redo the floor?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Dennis,

I am planning a shell on floor replacement. I have enough to deal with! I have gleaned many ideas from the forum on floor replacement.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Hi Tedd,

what car did you tow it with? I have a '68 Overlander and am looking for something other than a SUV as a tow vehicle.

Merry Ho!
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I tow with my 1991 Caprice Wagon. I have done a few upgrades...

It started off with the factory tow package. This includes an auxiliary oil cooler and a larger radiator and trans cooler. Also towing gears etc...

I upgraded the coil springs on all four corners and removed the load level in shocks and went with Monroe sensatrac shocks. Also, I had a 10,000 LBS trans cooler installed with the trans rebuilt (recently) with a heavy duty commercial kit.

Finally I had commercial rims with 235/70R15 Michelin LTX load range C tires put on all four corners.

People think I am nuts, but it does the job. My mileage is about 8-9 with the trailer in tow. The thing handles like a dream. I was using my 1993 Caprice sedan before, but I am much happier with the wagon.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Howdy again...
Well with thoughts of spring in the air and wanting to get out again, I have started to look over the project.
Looks like I will be rebuilding the the Univolt IV that I have as it only puts out about 7 volts. I hope that it is not the transformer. I just can not afford to replace and upgrade all of the systems in the trailer.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Progress Ho!

Keep on pluggin' away Tedd! We are all pullin' for you. As always post pictures of your work when ever posible and tell Lori and family that Carol and I say Hi! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
After getting in to the Univolts and pricing out the replacement parts it turns out that a new converter is the way to go. I still can not believe that a couple of power transistors costs $170.00!!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 05-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Been there, Done that!

I went thru the same issue with my Univolt. I went so far as to have an estimate done on re-building it! Yikes! It was well over $300.00 and included a cooling fan mounted to the exterior of the cover to help it "last longer". I finally just ordered a new one from Inland and someday may get the time to install it.... Ha! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, crazy, floor, overlander