Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #61
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Pat,
Great photos! Thanks for taking the time. These will really help with the construction of the new goucho. I could use one demetion though.... What is the depth of the base box? The rest I can wing pretty easy.

Thanks again
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
The box is 76" x 8" tall x 11" deep with the extensions back to the front wall leaving ~7.25" of room for the fresh water tank. My tank was 6" tall. All the way to the wall front to back is 35".
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Great inspiration. We pick up ou 68 today. Is there ever a case (east coasters) where it isn't needed to work to the frame if the trailer has been stored outside ? gotta figure after 40 years the steel needs repairs from being in elements?

We were hoping to avoid it. only one soft spot by toilet. The rest is all solid.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
Hi Constructor,
My frame was all good except the back under the hatch and it had been sitting in a field in Summerville, SC for 10 years. However all the subfloor wood around the sides under windows was mush. If there is an opening in the roof for a vent line or ventilation then the water came in. If that is the only soft spot then you are lucky. (except that's a tough repair if you do it right)
Pat
kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #65
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopat View Post
Hi Constructor,
My frame was all good except the back under the hatch and it had been sitting in a field in Summerville, SC for 10 years. However all the subfloor wood around the sides under windows was mush. If there is an opening in the roof for a vent line or ventilation then the water came in. If that is the only soft spot then you are lucky. (except that's a tough repair if you do it right)
Pat
Typically, if a torsion axle has not been exercised for years, the rubber rods deteriorate, making the axle's cushioning useless.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Burnsville , North Carolina
Thanks guys. We are almost there. Will get pic posted tonight. Will check axles before leaving and take it easy driving er home.

sounds like axel replacement is common.
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #67
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by constructor View Post
Thanks guys. We are almost there. Will get pic posted tonight. Will check axles before leaving and take it easy driving er home.

sounds like axel replacement is common.
Two things cause torsion axles to go bad, other than an accident.

1. Old age. Typical age for a frequently used torsion axle can be 20 to 30 years, and sometimes more.

2. Lack of use. The rubber rods internally, must be exercised at least every few months. To leave the coach parked, with all the weight on the axle/axles, is a no-no, as the rubber rods will typicall take a set, meaning they will solidify, making them useless, as a cushion. Parking the coach with all the weight on the axle/axles for as little as 2 years, can ruin the rubber rods.

Andy
Old 03-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Well I know I have been "off line" for a while. To day was a big day for progress.
Made a trip to the scrap yard to unload a bunch of scrap metal that was cluttering the garage and back yard. My place was starting to look like Sanford and Son.
Than I cut up the interior endcaps from my first AS and the one I took out of the current one!. Man did they take up a lot of space.
While cleaning up after the endcap job, I found that I have another load of scrap!

One more side project to finish clearing out the garage. This little project has been waiting 3 years to be finished...... But then the true AS work will begin.

The next major order is axles from Inland RV. Since it is about 2 hours to Elkhart I plan in a will call and pick them up.

Now back to your regular programing......
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
All the more reason to get out and go camping!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
2. Lack of use. The rubber rods internally, must be exercised at least every few months. To leave the coach parked, with all the weight on the axle/axles, is a no-no, as the rubber rods will typicall take a set, meaning they will solidify, making them useless, as a cushion. Parking the coach with all the weight on the axle/axles for as little as 2 years, can ruin the rubber rods. Andy
Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #70
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Another camping season is upon us. Brought the trailer home to prep for a weekend trip. Still chasing leaks... While cleaning the 1/2" of Vulkem from around the front vent, I fount that I have several popped rivets on the roof!! I will have to get those axles sooner then I thought. The poor gal is tearing herself apart before she is even finished.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 06-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Compartment Door

Hey Till,
I just bought my first Airstream so am new to this. I picked up a 1968 26' Overlander Twin International. anyway It's missing the Port side rear Compartment Door. You wouldn't happen to have something like that you could sell to me would you? (you mention having 3 units) If not, any leads on where to find one? I've looked at "Inland", and "Vintage Trailer" and the "Ware Mart" named place....

I suppose I can Make something, but would really like to have what was meant to be there.

Thanks for any thoughts... Or suggestions
The best
Quince
Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Frank's Trailer Works used to make replacements - You might ping member 62overlander for more info.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quince View Post
Hey Till,
I just bought my first Airstream so am new to this. I picked up a 1968 26' Overlander Twin International. anyway It's missing the Port side rear Compartment Door. You wouldn't happen to have something like that you could sell to me would you? (you mention having 3 units) If not, any leads on where to find one? I've looked at "Inland", and "Vintage Trailer" and the "Ware Mart" named place....

I suppose I can Make something, but would really like to have what was meant to be there.

Thanks for any thoughts... Or suggestions
The best
Quince
We have had those doors for over 20 years.

Andy
Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Quince,

I do not have any spare doors for the '68s. I was unhappy to find that the '67 doors do not fit the '68s.

You can also look in the classified section..

Regards,
Tedd
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 06-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Inland has the rear compartment doors, I bought one last year for my 66.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Quince,

I do not have any spare doors for the '68s. I was unhappy to find that the '67 doors do not fit the '68s.

You can also look in the classified section..

Regards,
Tedd
Tedd.

65, 66 and 68 compartment doors are the same design and basic sizes.

Why Airstream changed all of them for 1967 is anyones guess.

Andy

Tags
1968, crazy, floor, overlander