Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Rear access door/panel

Could someone with a 1968 A/S Overlander 26' take a picture of the access door/panel om their trailer. The previous owner did a make-shift one and I would like to know see what it should look like. I want to see if I can fabricate one.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
goswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Rockford , Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1473038852.766355.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	270833

This is a picture of the back of my 68 Sovereign. The frame pieces are available from Vintage Trailer Supply, though I have not needed to buy any yet. Mitered corners, aluminum sheeting inside and out, insulation between. Let me know if you need specific pictures and I can add them later. The design is not great in my opinion because at least on mine, the bottom frame tilts into the trailer channeling water inside. It operates exactly like the access to the fridge and street side storage compartment if you have those to compare. The ones on the side do not tip in like the rear one does.
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
newas4mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Rockford , Michigan
Note-- the aluminum tape on the sides is not original! Just temporary while I figure out how I can seal the water out better. 🤗

Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by newas4mark View Post
Attachment 270833

This is a picture of the back of my 68 Sovereign. The frame pieces are available from Vintage Trailer Supply, though I have not needed to buy any yet. Mitered corners, aluminum sheeting inside and out, insulation between. Let me know if you need specific pictures and I can add them later. The design is not great in my opinion because at least on mine, the bottom frame tilts into the trailer channeling water inside. It operates exactly like the access to the fridge and street side storage compartment if you have those to compare. The ones on the side do not tip in like the rear one does.
Mark

Thanks Mark,

I was unaware that VTS sold the frame. I'll call them next week to find out what all I need to rebuild my rear access panel. I did call another A/S supplier and they want $350.00 + $55.00 shipping and this looks like i can do it for around $100.00 or so.

Mine currently has hinges at the top and I don't think that is original. Based on what I read and looking at the picture you sent it looks like the top part of the panel "tucks under" along the top end, (for lack of a better term) like the access doors on the side the trailer do. Am I correct on that>

Again, thanks for your response and pic.

Pete
Old 09-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Rockford , Michigan
Yes, the panel slips in at the top just like the side doors mechanically. Then the handle turns and latches into a slot at the bottom and both sides. VTS has the handles and arms, too. If you need pictures, let me know.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Durham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by newas4mark View Post
Yes, the panel slips in at the top just like the side doors mechanically. Then the handle turns and latches into a slot at the bottom and both sides. VTS has the handles and arms, too. If you need pictures, let me know.

Thanks..could you send some more pics of the latch configuration?

Pete