Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1965 - 1969 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Ally

Traytown , Newfoundland
[Pics Inside] 1968 Overlander Intl 26' Newb Help!

Hey all!

Completely new to Airstreams. I'm putting together a budget for a 1968 Airstream Overlander 26' Twin Model. The seller wants $9000 CDN (he paid $7000, replaced the water pump). I have two months to get the trailer travel-ready (working only part-time to get it done). With what needs to be done I'm thinking $7000 is a fair sale price.

Pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/BG89m

Issues:

• There's a leak somewhere in the plumbing and some rot where it sprung in the rear (bathroom). Seller thinks it's the hot water tank but there's no rot or wet spots anywhere near it.

• The rest of the floor is amazing for the year, there are no water stains or rot anywhere else (it was stored indoors every winter in Quebec). No rear end sad. All cabin lights functional.

• The fridge isn't working (tried both propane/electric connections).

• The oven and stove work great.

• Sound system broken.

• Furnace, I'm not sure (he said the battery needs to be fully charged for it to work? Plugged into shore power it does not work... that doesn't make sense to me. I think it's broken).

• No A/C on this unit.

• Steps rusted off below door (no way to repair)

• Axles are rusty but look good, tires 90% tread but I didn't think to look for cracking.

• All windows original except the front is lexan.

There's more but I'm blanking.

Anyhow what do y'all think?
Thanks in advance for your insight!
_ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Edmonton , Alberta
The leak could be from the window or from the rear compartment, it might not be a line leaking, I would recommend pulling it all out and put in pex lines. Fridge could be many things I can't describe the testing involved. Furnace might not work on shore power only 12v and most likely batteries need to be charged. No step build one out of wood, Tires I would change because you don't know how old they are, check the brakes and wheel bearings. 7K is fair but I would probably go back and offer 5K Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ally View Post
Hey all!

Completely new to Airstreams. I'm putting together a budget for a 1968 Airstream Overlander 26' Twin Model. The sellr wants $9000 CDN (he paid $7000, replaced the water pump). I have two months to get the trailer travel-ready (working only part-time to get it done). With what needs to be done I'm thinking $7000 is a fair sale price.

Pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/BG89m

Issues:

• There's a leak somewhere in the plumbing and some rot where it sprung in the rear (bathroom). Seller thinks it's the hot water tank but there's no rot or wet spots anywhere near it.

• The rest of the floor is amazing for the year, there are no water stains or rot anywhere else (it was stored indoors every winter in Quebec). No rear end sad. All cabin lights functional.

• The fridge isn't working (tried both propane/electric connections).

• The oven and stove work great.

• Sound system broken.

• Furnace, I'm not sure (he said the battery needs to be fully charged for it to work? Plugged into shore power it does not work... that doesn't make sense to me. I think it's broken).

• No A/C on this unit.

• Steps rusted off below door (no way to repair)

• Axles are rusty but look good, tires 90% tread but I didn't think to look for cracking.

• All windows original except the front is lexan.

There's more but I'm blanking.

Anyhow what do y'all think?
Thanks in advance for your insight!
chaostheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Miami , Florida
Are you still working on this?
Renovating my own 68 Overlander. Getting close to finished, if finished is ever truly possible. Hadn't logged on here in 6 months, just saw your post, willing to offer any advice or parts if you still need any.
TurkeyRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags