Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Jasper , Arkansas
Peted

I am looking at a 68 international 26' over lander. What do I need to know,good and mostly bad.
My globe trotter has taught me a lot, but I know different models and years have specific issues.
Thanking you now
Peted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
The first obvious thing is condition of the floor. I'm pretty sure 68 also had spray foam insulation under sub floor( could make repairs a little more challenging!)this year also had aluminum wiring, which isn't a huge deal, unless it has been messed with(I.E adding copper wire incorrectly ). Those are just a few yr. specific things that I'm aware of aside from other " maintenance " items that are common on a 40+ yr old A/S !

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Jasper , Arkansas
Peted

Thanks,it has laminated flooring in it now, the belly pan looks good. It is missing the rear hatch cover and has one water leak in the tub plumbing. The curved glass next to the door needs to be replaced. The tires actually look good. The trailer has been elevated about three feet off the ground due to the terrain. It has been supported on cinder blocks in 4 locations along the frame. The door latch seems to be Colette but the latch does not spring out. That's about it. Needs a lot of cleaning. It was polished prior the being put in its current location.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
If the rear hatch is missing ($300 for a new one, BTW), check & double check the subfloor back there for rot & make sure it has not been " covered up " somehow. Ask me how I know this!! The 2 Airstreams I've owned have had rear rot, so just make sure you know what you might be in for! Good luck.... Brian

Old 01-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Btw, my first A/S was a 63 GT, loved that trailer !

Old 01-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Some say the 68 model year was the best of the older body style. The phillips - corning curved glass windows were improved from the introduction in 66. The international trim gives nicer cabinetry and extra amenities. No weather protection at the rear almost guarantees a good dose of rear floor rot. The axles need addressed unless already replaced.

I think the 68 Overlander is an excellent choice for refurbishment and comfortable traveling. It won't have the value of the shorter "cute" vintage Airstreams, but easier to live with in my view.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Jasper , Arkansas
Thanks for your input. It all helps when formulating a plan. The rear rot issue is unknown at the moment. Hoping it will workout. We love our GT but would like abit more room.